PDA

View Full Version : Campag - Shimano Compatibility Question

Fred Roses
July 10th 03, 04:45 PM
I am building up a bike for hilly light touring, and I'd like to use a
mix of parts already on the bike and on the basement shelf. For my
drivetrain I'd like to start with a Centaur Triple crankset (50-40-30)
and swap the granny for a Shimano LX 26. Front deraileur is Centaur
Triple. Rear deraileur will be Shimano XT with a 12-34 cassette.
Controls would be Shimano D/A bar-ends, set for friction front and
indexing rear. Since this will be a travel bike I'd like to use an
SRAM chain with removable link. Does anybody know whether I should use
a Campag or Shimano style chain, and whether or nor this kludge will
shift smoothly and reliably? Any "gotchas" that I haven't thought of?
Thanks in advance for your valued input...

Fred Roses

Sheldon Brown
July 10th 03, 06:14 PM
Fred Roses wrote:

> I am building up a bike for hilly light touring, and I'd like to use a
> mix of parts already on the bike and on the basement shelf. For my
> drivetrain I'd like to start with a Centaur Triple crankset (50-40-30)
> and swap the granny for a Shimano LX 26. Front deraileur is Centaur
> Triple. Rear deraileur will be Shimano XT with a 12-34 cassette.
> Controls would be Shimano D/A bar-ends, set for friction front and
> indexing rear.

This will all work dandy.

> Since this will be a travel bike I'd like to use an
> SRAM chain with removable link. Does anybody know whether I should use
> a Campag or Shimano style chain,

You're imagining a distinction that does not actually exist. Go with the
SRAM PC59.

> and whether or nor this kludge will
> shift smoothly and reliably?

Yes.

> Any "gotchas" that I haven't thought of?

Not really, though I'd prefer a Sugino XD crankset for such an
application, due to the better selection of chainwheel sizes available.

Sheldon "Insert Nickname Here" Brown
| To escape criticism -- |
| do nothing, say nothing, be nothing. |
| --Elbert Hubbard |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Paul Southworth
July 10th 03, 11:48 PM
In article >,
Fred Roses > wrote:
>I am building up a bike for hilly light touring, and I'd like to use a
>mix of parts already on the bike and on the basement shelf. For my
>drivetrain I'd like to start with a Centaur Triple crankset (50-40-30)
>and swap the granny for a Shimano LX 26. Front deraileur is Centaur
>Triple. Rear deraileur will be Shimano XT with a 12-34 cassette.
>Controls would be Shimano D/A bar-ends, set for friction front and
>indexing rear. Since this will be a travel bike I'd like to use an
>SRAM chain with removable link. Does anybody know whether I should use
>a Campag or Shimano style chain,

If it's a 9-speed cogset, any 9-speed chain will work, brand not
important.

> and whether or nor this kludge will
>shift smoothly and reliably? Any "gotchas" that I haven't thought of?

I think it should work great.

--Paul

Qui si parla Campagnolo
July 11th 03, 01:59 PM
fred-<< For my
drivetrain I'd like to start with a Centaur Triple crankset (50-40-30)
and swap the granny for a Shimano LX 26. Front deraileur is Centaur
Triple. Rear deraileur will be Shimano XT with a 12-34 cassette.
Controls would be Shimano D/A bar-ends, set for friction front and
indexing rear. Since this will be a travel bike I'd like to use an
SRAM chain with removable link. Does anybody know whether I should use
a Campag or Shimano style chain, and whether or nor this kludge will
shift smoothly and reliably? Any "gotchas" that I haven't thought of?
Thanks in advance for your valued input... >><BR><BR>

This will work fine, from 26t ring to XT rear, I have built this very setup-.
Use a Sram chain, like a PC-59...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.