PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Campy Record brake pads..help!

UncleAl
July 11th 03, 06:47 PM
I am having a difficulty removing the brake pads from my Campy Record 2002
model brakes (standard front and differential rear). In a past life I used
Dura-Ace components and the pad holders had a small set screw that made the
replacement of pads very easy.

I have tried removing the pads by taping on them with a small flat blade
chisel and rubber mallet, but they do not budge. I am reluctant to get more
aggressive as I do not want to damage the pad holders or hardware.

Any tricks of the trade you can provide

thanks
Alan

Pete Grey
July 11th 03, 09:25 PM
I've done this a couple of times, by using pliers to grab the old pad
material on the edge and working it out.

-pete

"UncleAl" > wrote in message
> I am having a difficulty removing the brake pads from my Campy Record 2002
> model brakes (standard front and differential rear). In a past life I
used
> Dura-Ace components and the pad holders had a small set screw that made
the
> replacement of pads very easy.
>
> I have tried removing the pads by taping on them with a small flat blade
> chisel and rubber mallet, but they do not budge. I am reluctant to get
more
> aggressive as I do not want to damage the pad holders or hardware.
>
> Any tricks of the trade you can provide
>
> thanks
> Alan

wannagofast
July 12th 03, 12:36 AM
I put the pad holder in the vice (with a rag to protect finish) and wacked
the pads out with screw driver and hammer.

"UncleAl" > wrote in message
> I am having a difficulty removing the brake pads from my Campy Record 2002
> model brakes (standard front and differential rear). In a past life I
used
> Dura-Ace components and the pad holders had a small set screw that made
the
> replacement of pads very easy.
>
> I have tried removing the pads by taping on them with a small flat blade
> chisel and rubber mallet, but they do not budge. I am reluctant to get
more
> aggressive as I do not want to damage the pad holders or hardware.
>
> Any tricks of the trade you can provide
>
> thanks
> Alan

Qui si parla Campagnolo
July 12th 03, 01:50 PM
wizard-<< I am having a difficulty removing the brake pads from my Campy Record
2002
model brakes (standard front and differential rear). >><BR><BR>

Thin screw driver under the block at the open end, pry up and out. Simple green
on the new ones, to help them slid in.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Paul Southworth
July 12th 03, 10:51 PM
In article >,
UncleAl > wrote:
>I am having a difficulty removing the brake pads from my Campy Record 2002
>model brakes (standard front and differential rear). In a past life I used
>Dura-Ace components and the pad holders had a small set screw that made the
>replacement of pads very easy.
>
>I have tried removing the pads by taping on them with a small flat blade
>chisel and rubber mallet, but they do not budge. I am reluctant to get more
>aggressive as I do not want to damage the pad holders or hardware.
>
>Any tricks of the trade you can provide

Don't try to hit the pad like that, it'll just "bounce" the tool.
One easy way when the pads are dead is to clamp the pad in a vise
and push firmly and slowly on the shoe. You can also screw an extra
old 6mm nut on the post and grab it with channel-locks. Lubricating
it a little water or alcohol can help it slide out.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home