PDA

View Full Version : TT Saddle Selection

[ dhs ]
July 11th 03, 11:26 PM
I'm toying with saddles on my TT bike (converted DB Master road bike with
the aerobar treatment -- nothing terribly fancy) because the Aspide I have
been using gets to be a bit uncomfy after ~15 minutes in the aero position.

I've more or less narrowed it down to the Aspide Trigel (the Azoto is just
too bulky, but appears to do the trick), but am also considering a
Specialized 01 Comp ($39 is hard to pass up, even though it is kinda heavy).

What do you folks use?

My use of the TT bike is primarily recreational, though I would like to run
the (Texas) state time trials next month...but only if I can find a saddle
to suit by then. Thanks.//d

John Forrest Tomlinson
July 12th 03, 10:53 AM
I have various Selle Italia models on my road bikes -- generally
Turbomatic or Turbos variations. For TTs I started using the Selle
Italia Prolink Gel. It feels similar to the Turbomatics, but the
nose sort of slopes down, which takes off some pressure up front.
It's a pretty heavy saddle, but I think the most important thing is
finding a saddle that doesn't fight my efforts to stay low.

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

[ dhs ]
July 14th 03, 05:02 AM
> Hi, this may be stating the obvious, but have you tried adjusting the
> angle of the saddle, that you are using? The reason I ask, is that I

I have adjusted saddle angle & seatpost height, but to no avail.
Thanks for the suggestion, though.//d

Robert Saunders
July 14th 03, 07:29 PM
"[ dhs ]" > wrote in message >...
> I'm toying with saddles on my TT bike (converted DB Master road bike with
> the aerobar treatment -- nothing terribly fancy) because the Aspide I have
> been using gets to be a bit uncomfy after ~15 minutes in the aero position.
>
> I've more or less narrowed it down to the Aspide Trigel (the Azoto is just
> too bulky, but appears to do the trick), but am also considering a
> Specialized 01 Comp ($39 is hard to pass up, even though it is kinda heavy).
>
> What do you folks use?
>
> My use of the TT bike is primarily recreational, though I would like to run
> the (Texas) state time trials next month...but only if I can find a saddle
> to suit by then. Thanks.//d

Selle Italia Flite. No gel. I use this saddle model on all my bikes,
including the low-pro timetrial bike, which I have raced at distances
from 10 miles to 100 miles, (and hopefully beyond, this season!).

No advice re saddle comfort is really useful - you'll have to try
different saddles till you find one that suits. But the other poster
who suggests adjusting the saddle angle is right - give that a go!
(Also try chamois cream, and a quality skinsuit).

Robert

Kwantani
July 14th 03, 10:00 PM
Fizik Crono. Specifically design for TT position.
Used to having all kind of numbness problem, after I installed the Crono
saddle, fix all the problem.
I now can ride 40k TT comfortably on that saddle.

Kwan

John Forrest Tomlinson
July 15th 03, 12:12 AM
"ant" > wrote in message
> my question is whether riders who use a high saddle/low stem still
> keep their saddle level. currently, my saddle is level, and has been
> for some time. i started with it tilted down a little, which was
more
> comfortable, but switched it so that i could sit _on_ teh saddle
> without sliding forward/weighting my wrists and i can ride no hands
> with ease. however, i can feel that a slightly tilted saddle would
> make things just a tad more comfortable for teh.. bits and pieces.
im
> not having any 'trouble', but still, comfort is good. but then i
lose
> my level perch again? and all its benefits?

You should be able to sit in the saddle without feeling like you're
sliding forward. For most people, this calls for a level saddle.

I tiny bit of downward tile might be OK, but if you feel like you have
to push yourself back with your arms, it's no good.

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

Google