PDA

View Full Version : Eggbeater pedal clicing question...

Me
July 12th 03, 03:11 PM
Hi, I have the origional version of CrankBros Eggbeater (ie not the Ti or
the Look version) pedals which are about 3 months old now.

The left pedal starting clicking a couple weeks ago whenever I put weight
on it. At first I thought it was my BB so I tightend that, Then I thought it
was my crank, so I tightened that. Then I thought it was my cleats, but when
I push down on the pedal clipped out using my heal, it still clicks. Then I
replaced my pedal with an old SPD and guess what no clicking.

So I took the pedal apart (easy, one bolt) put new grease in and tightened
it up. This stopped it clicking for about a half an hours ride.

Now whenever I tighten up the little bolt, I can keep it clicking for about
15 minutes but then it starts again.

I've written to crankbros and they were helpful and said I could just send
em the pedal and they would sort it out for me, unfortunatley, I'm living in
the UK for the next year so its a little difficult.

Anyone have any tips on sorting out eggbeaters? Would the eggbeater rebuild
kit help? If so, think I could go for more than 3 months before having to do
it again?

I love the pedals and hope someone can give me some tech info on how to
eliminated that most annoying of clicks!

cheers

Ryan Cousineau
July 12th 03, 06:21 PM
In article >, "Me" > wrote:

> Hi, I have the origional version of CrankBros Eggbeater (ie not the Ti or
> the Look version) pedals which are about 3 months old now.
>
> The left pedal starting clicking a couple weeks ago whenever I put weight
> on it. At first I thought it was my BB so I tightend that, Then I thought it
> was my crank, so I tightened that. Then I thought it was my cleats, but when
> I push down on the pedal clipped out using my heal, it still clicks. Then I
> replaced my pedal with an old SPD and guess what no clicking.

> I've written to crankbros and they were helpful and said I could just send
> em the pedal and they would sort it out for me, unfortunatley, I'm living in
> the UK for the next year so its a little difficult.
>
> Anyone have any tips on sorting out eggbeaters? Would the eggbeater rebuild
> kit help? If so, think I could go for more than 3 months before having to do
> it again?

2002 Eggbeaters are slightly notorious for eating their bearings. It
appears that is what has happened to you. If you have SPDs to spare, I'd
send it back to Crank Bros. and let them make it right for you.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

Google