PDA

View Full Version : Okay, *NOW* I'll do the "How Many Miles" Thread....

January 1st 07, 03:34 AM
Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.
I put on
2,337 Miles in 2006

All riding to and fro to work from Aptos, CA to Santa Cruz, CA. About
1/2 what I used to do going to Watsonville (and not nearly as enjoyable
a route)
but what the heck. I still love bicycles.

Off topic: I'll bet anyone a zillion nothings that Santa Cruz County
has the absolute
worst roads in the entire country. Whew! ('Cept maybe Buffao, New
York).

Happy New Year, Everybody.
Pureheart

Paul Turner
January 1st 07, 04:18 AM
wrote:

> Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.
> I put on
> 2,337 Miles in 2006

It was 5,000 kilometers for me. As I get older, I find myself riding
more consistently, practically every day I'm home, but taking fewer
long (over 50 mile) rides.

--
Paul Turner

Bill Sornson
January 1st 07, 05:58 AM
wrote:
> Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.
> I put on
> 2,337 Miles in 2006

4553 on the MadOne in 11 months. A sad little 560 on the Klein Q-carbon
Team (size 55 -- make me an offer! :) ). So just about 5100 miles, plus
maybe another (paltry) 300 or so mtb miles and 100 "dead cyclometer pickup"
miles.

Call it 5500. (Probably well more than both my cars combined; haven't
checked yet.)

Slacker Bill

Stephen Harding
January 1st 07, 01:40 PM
wrote:
> Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.
> I put on
> 2,337 Miles in 2006
>
> All riding to and fro to work from Aptos, CA to Santa Cruz, CA. About
> 1/2 what I used to do going to Watsonville (and not nearly as enjoyable
> a route)
> but what the heck. I still love bicycles.

2025 miles on my primary commuter this year.

A total of 4188 combined over my four bikes.

This total is second only to a year which included a
cross country ride nearly 10 years ago. I'm rather
pleased as most of the distance was commuting.

I largely failed in my attempt to do more "joy miles"
this year; miles NOT involving commuting. Did get a
few hundred in touring NW Nebraska and a bit of Iowa
along with a couple organized and personal century
rides.

Will try again in the new year to do more joy miles,
not that commuter miles on a bike aren't joyful too.

Happy New Year rbm!

SMH

Mike Kruger
January 1st 07, 02:25 PM
wrote:

> Off topic: I'll bet anyone a zillion nothings that Santa Cruz County
> has the absolute
> worst roads in the entire country. Whew! ('Cept maybe Buffao, New
> York).

If you are a fan of bad roads, here's some that probably make Santa Cruz
look good.
http://thrillingwonder.blogspot.com/2006/11/most-dangerous-roads-in-world.html
(Jobst posted this link on another rec.bicycles newsgroup.)

My mileage was down in 2006: just 3437 miles (5500 km).
Causes: (1) no bike tour in 2006, (2) shower remodeling at work closed them
for months, and I got out of the commute habit. Also gained weight in
2006, for some reason ;)

--
Mike Kruger
"We have a lot of kids who don't know what works means. They think work

mike
January 1st 07, 04:15 PM
wrote in news:1167622451.380689.41150
@k21g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.
> I put on
> 2,337 Miles in 2006
>
> All riding to and fro to work from Aptos, CA to Santa Cruz, CA. About
> 1/2 what I used to do going to Watsonville (and not nearly as enjoyable
> a route)
> but what the heck. I still love bicycles.
>
> Off topic: I'll bet anyone a zillion nothings that Santa Cruz County
> has the absolute
> worst roads in the entire country. Whew! ('Cept maybe Buffao, New
> York).
>
> Happy New Year, Everybody.
> Pureheart

3650 miles had to ride 26 miles yesterday to get that....
mike

Mike Ellis
January 1st 07, 04:37 PM
wrote:
> Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.
> I put on
> 2,337 Miles in 2006
>
> All riding to and fro to work from Aptos, CA to Santa Cruz, CA. About
> 1/2 what I used to do going to Watsonville (and not nearly as enjoyable
> a route)
> but what the heck. I still love bicycles.
>
> Off topic: I'll bet anyone a zillion nothings that Santa Cruz County
> has the absolute
> worst roads in the entire country. Whew! ('Cept maybe Buffao, New
> York).
>
> Happy New Year, Everybody.
> Pureheart

I managed 6016 miles in 2006. The year started slowly, having started a
new job in December 2005. Once I had figured out where to park the car
in order to do some cycling to & from work the mileage increased. During
the summer months I was regularly doing 35 miles a day on my commute to
work. Unfortunately I live too far from work to commute all the way. It
is 33 miles from home to work & I did do the whole round trip on three
occasions.

Mike

David L. Johnson
January 1st 07, 06:32 PM
On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 13:40:54 +0000, Stephen Harding wrote:

> wrote:
>> Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.

My odometer(s) (it's been a bad year for me and cyclocomputers) added up
to 3480 miles. That is mostly recreational riding; my commute isn't
(mostly) in that total since it's on other bikes, but that would be 15
miles/week, maybe going in to the office 40 weeks/year, so another 500-600
miles of commuting.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You
_`\(,_ | soon find out the pig likes it!
(_)/ (_) |

John Thompson
January 1st 07, 07:07 PM
On 2007-01-01, Mike Kruger > wrote:
> wrote:

> If you are a fan of bad roads, here's some that probably make Santa Cruz
> look good.
> http://thrillingwonder.blogspot.com/2006/11/most-dangerous-roads-in-world.html

I drove the Georgian Military highway back in 1977, and it's still
easily the most harrowing drive I've ever done. I probably have a few
pictures somewhere, but really didn't have a great deal of time or
opportunity as it was white-knuckle time through most of the trip.

--

John )

Kristian M Zoerhoff
January 1st 07, 09:01 PM
In article om>,
says...
> Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.
> I put on
> 2,337 Miles in 2006

I managed a mere 1911 miles this year. No tours or organized rides, and no
commute since I work from home, so this was mostly pleasure riding and short
errand-running.

My trusty CatEye cyclometer died yesterday morning midway through my ride to my
father-in-law's house, after nearly 10 years of service. Good thing I got that
Garmin eTrex for Christmas to replace it :-)

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_

D Wells
January 1st 07, 09:24 PM
On 31 Dec 2006 19:34:11 -0800, wrote:

>Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.
>I put on
> 2,337 Miles in 2006
>
>All riding to and fro to work from Aptos, CA to Santa Cruz, CA. About
>1/2 what I used to do going to Watsonville (and not nearly as enjoyable
>a route)
>but what the heck. I still love bicycles.
>
>Off topic: I'll bet anyone a zillion nothings that Santa Cruz County
>has the absolute
>worst roads in the entire country. Whew! ('Cept maybe Buffao, New
>York).
>
>Happy New Year, Everybody.
>Pureheart
Between May and December I made 1443 miles. Mostly rides in the
country. A surgery in November kept me off the bike for 6 weeks.

I replaced my 18-year old Cateye in June after I finally managed to
break it.

VBadJuJu
January 1st 07, 09:42 PM
wrote:

>Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.
>I put on
> 2,337 Miles in 2006

5584 for the year. It was rainy all day NY Eve to prevent me from
tipping it over. Longest rides: 80.5, 66 and 52 miles. Avg/Day: 15;
avg Apr-Oct: 18.9. Auto gas tank fillups: 3-5 times that I can
recall.

MTB bike and >50 yr age grp, so I am quite happy

>All riding to and fro to work from Aptos, CA to Santa Cruz, CA. About
>1/2 what I used to do going to Watsonville (and not nearly as enjoyable
>a route)
>but what the heck. I still love bicycles.
>
>Off topic: I'll bet anyone a zillion nothings that Santa Cruz County
>has the absolute
>worst roads in the entire country. Whew! ('Cept maybe Buffao, New
>York).
....and Flint Michigan

Earl Bollinger
January 1st 07, 11:01 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.
> I put on
> 2,337 Miles in 2006
>
> All riding to and fro to work from Aptos, CA to Santa Cruz, CA. About
> 1/2 what I used to do going to Watsonville (and not nearly as enjoyable
> a route)
> but what the heck. I still love bicycles.
>
> Off topic: I'll bet anyone a zillion nothings that Santa Cruz County
> has the absolute
> worst roads in the entire country. Whew! ('Cept maybe Buffao, New
> York).
>
> Happy New Year, Everybody.
> Pureheart

I rode a little over 463 hours of saddle time for the 2006 year.

what does THIS button do?
January 2nd 07, 12:06 AM
3188 bike miles, virtually all commuting. 198 bike-to-work days, all
weather, year round. Temps ranged from -10F to 102F. 5th place by
days and miles in ride to work list at work.
<http://tomato.fnal.gov/bicycle/riders.php?data=2006&sort=miles> (click
the gallery and you
can see our superfantastic Fox River Trail commuting pix)

173 car-free days

only 14 hours on the kayak :-(
only 45 miles on my unicycles! :-( :-(

Not as much as i'd hoped to get in in any category, and i'm the bigger
man for it. :-)

..max
St. Charles, Il.

zeke
January 2nd 07, 01:24 AM
10334 miles

I probably won't get as many miles in 2007. I had some free time to
ride last year.

----------------------------
Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
View my training log:
http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo

Ron Wallenfang
January 2nd 07, 01:53 AM
My mileage for the year was 18,973, for a total of 249,322 since I
started keeping daily records in 1993. As usual, the heart and soul of
my mileage was the commute to work - a basic ride of 21 miles each way;
frequently I take longer routes. Aside from that, my main trip was
2218 miles, from Key West to Milwaukee on April 21 - May 6. Further
details follow:

Mileage by state:
FL 755
IL 643
GA 396
CA 292
MS 278
AL 223
AR 169
MI 104
MO 89
MN 76
MA 48
NY 42
CT 18

WI - balance

Coldest riding - Minus 15 F on Feb. 18

Hottest Riding - 98 F on July 15

Best mileage - 189 on May 1

Least Mileage - 1 on Oct. 1 - no zero days

Got wet - 24 times that I recorded

Flat tires - 11

Fell once

Kenny
January 2nd 07, 09:58 AM
6,000 miles for me.

Pat Lamb
January 2nd 07, 06:59 PM
wrote:
> Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.

I ended up with 5555 miles for the year (unintentionally, I might add;
although when the weather cleared up Sunday afternoon, after I had
totaled everything up, I bypassed a possible ride to maintain that total!).

SAG'ed out of a ride because of the heat in May, managed my first
century in September. Maybe I should add up commuting miles; I'd guess
2500 or so.

Pat

Roger Zoul
January 2nd 07, 10:26 PM
Wow....Impressive stats. I wish I could commute to work....21 miles
each way is a "just right" amount, too.

On 1 Jan 2007 17:53:29 -0800, "Ron Wallenfang" >
wrote:

>My mileage for the year was 18,973, for a total of 249,322 since I
>started keeping daily records in 1993. As usual, the heart and soul of
>my mileage was the commute to work - a basic ride of 21 miles each way;
>frequently I take longer routes. Aside from that, my main trip was
>2218 miles, from Key West to Milwaukee on April 21 - May 6. Further
>details follow:
>
>Mileage by state:
>FL 755
>IL 643
>GA 396
>CA 292
>MS 278
>AL 223
>AR 169
>MI 104
>MO 89
>MN 76
>MA 48
>NY 42
>CT 18
>
>WI - balance
>
>Coldest riding - Minus 15 F on Feb. 18
>
>Hottest Riding - 98 F on July 15
>
>Best mileage - 189 on May 1
>
>Least Mileage - 1 on Oct. 1 - no zero days
>
>Got wet - 24 times that I recorded
>
>Flat tires - 11
>
>Fell once

Ted
January 2nd 07, 11:21 PM
1700 miles all recreational.
My longest was 100 miles (I rode around the block the last 5.5 miles to
get it up to 100!)
This was my first full year of real bicycling since I was a kid.

Ted.

Claire
January 3rd 07, 12:55 AM
3565 miles, mostly commuter/utility on the single. But most of my 2006
"training" and event miles were on the tandem, and we didn't even put
bike computer on that bike until the end of June, so who knows how many
were done on that one -- my guess is 1000 - 1500.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

qpliu
January 3rd 07, 03:49 AM
wrote:
> Off topic: I'll bet anyone a zillion nothings that Santa Cruz County
> has the absolute
> worst roads in the entire country. Whew! ('Cept maybe Buffao, New
> York).

What makes you say that?

(About 4500 miles for me in 2006, mostly in Santa Cruz County.)

January 3rd 07, 05:11 AM
qpliu wrote:
> wrote:
> > Off topic: I'll bet anyone a zillion nothings that Santa Cruz County
> > has the absolute
> > worst roads in the entire country. Whew! ('Cept maybe Buffao, New
> > York).
>
> What makes you say that?
>
> (About 4500 miles for me in 2006, mostly in Santa Cruz County.)

First: Kudos to all you high-mileage guys, especially Ron Wallenfang
who has ridden to the moon!

Santa Cruz roads? Well Larkin Valley Road from Aptos to Watsonville
was a dreamy commute, great road quality.
My current ride to Santa Cruz from Aptos is a series of road-shock
minimizing maneuvers as I dodge all the myriad road repairs, poorly
filled trenches, fiber-optic filled trenches, alligatored pavement,
etc. Just visit Monterey sometime to see how nice their streets are.

I mentioned Buffalo, NY since that was the only place that the roads
were so unavoidably bad--trying to get across to Canada--the my front
panniers were actually flung from my machine.

Pureheart

Bill Baka
January 3rd 07, 07:34 AM
wrote:
> qpliu wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> Off topic: I'll bet anyone a zillion nothings that Santa Cruz County
>>> has the absolute
>>> worst roads in the entire country. Whew! ('Cept maybe Buffao, New
>>> York).
>> What makes you say that?
>>
>> (About 4500 miles for me in 2006, mostly in Santa Cruz County.)
>
> First: Kudos to all you high-mileage guys, especially Ron Wallenfang
> who has ridden to the moon!
>
> Santa Cruz roads? Well Larkin Valley Road from Aptos to Watsonville
> was a dreamy commute, great road quality.
> My current ride to Santa Cruz from Aptos is a series of road-shock
> minimizing maneuvers as I dodge all the myriad road repairs, poorly
> filled trenches, fiber-optic filled trenches, alligatored pavement,
> etc. Just visit Monterey sometime to see how nice their streets are.
>
> I mentioned Buffalo, NY since that was the only place that the roads
> were so unavoidably bad--trying to get across to Canada--the my front
> panniers were actually flung from my machine.
>
> Pureheart

Main roads or what? I have ridden the highway 9 roads and offshoots to
Big Basin and find the roads OK up there, not that many holes so big you
can't dodge them, and not that much traffic, unless you only ride the
weekend, when the people who are sane enough not to try to go to Tahoe
every weekend with the rest of the motorized sheep.
The trees and scenery make up for any road problems, and I haven't seen
what you describe. Downtown Santa Cruz, Scott's Valley, or any of those
suddenly overbuilt, close to the Bay area, might be a different story.
Bill Baka

qpliu
January 3rd 07, 08:34 AM
wrote:
> qpliu wrote:
> > wrote:
> > > Off topic: I'll bet anyone a zillion nothings that Santa Cruz County
> > > has the absolute
> > > worst roads in the entire country. Whew! ('Cept maybe Buffao, New
> > > York).

> > What makes you say that?

> Santa Cruz roads? Well Larkin Valley Road from Aptos to Watsonville
> was a dreamy commute, great road quality.
> My current ride to Santa Cruz from Aptos is a series of road-shock
> minimizing maneuvers as I dodge all the myriad road repairs, poorly
> filled trenches, fiber-optic filled trenches, alligatored pavement,
> etc. Just visit Monterey sometime to see how nice their streets are.

That sounds like Soquel Ave between Capitola Dr and Branciforte.
If so, perhaps you could take East Cliff or Brommer from Capitola,
the paths around the yacht harbor back to East Cliff, and then paths
along the river. Well, that probably wouldn't help. You know better
than I do where you need to go and what the best way to get there is.

> I mentioned Buffalo, NY since that was the only place that the roads
> were so unavoidably bad--trying to get across to Canada--the my front
> panniers were actually flung from my machine.

Kristian M Zoerhoff
January 3rd 07, 09:58 PM
In article >,
says...

> I managed a mere 1911 miles this year. No tours or organized rides, and no
> commute since I work from home, so this was mostly pleasure riding and short
> errand-running.

Drats. I set up an OpenOffice spreadsheet for my 2007 mileage today, and
decided to add a sheet to the workbook for my 2006 logs. After transcribing
them from my notebook, I discovered that I'm only at 1880 miles :-(

More motivation for this year, at least.

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_

Dane Buson
January 4th 07, 10:24 PM
Mostly commuting back and forth to work miles. It's about a 100 less
than last year (which is sort of dissappointing as I was hoping to get
*more* cycling in this year).

Mileage: 6162
Flats: 2 (3?)

A couple hundred of that is strictly from the grocery bike. I wish I'd
gotten it together earlier in the year.

--
Dane Buson -
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas l'Informatique.

Ravi
January 7th 07, 11:03 PM
How about this - i put twice as much miles on my road bikes put together
when compared to the miles on my car :)

and about 156 days bike commuting work, where as driving to work was
only 51 days of driving to work.

best thing of the year was fenders on my commuter bike - i love them !!

+ravi

nash
January 8th 07, 12:15 AM
"Ravi" > wrote in message
om...
> How about this - i put twice as much miles on my road bikes put together
> when compared to the miles on my car :)
>
> and about 156 days bike commuting work, where as driving to work was only
> 51 days of driving to work.
>
> best thing of the year was fenders on my commuter bike - i love them !!
>
> +ravi

Are you getting your insurance break when you did that Ravi?

I biked to work 365 days / yr for 15 years. Now I am retired. I only lived
3-6 miles from work when I did and it is in the Wild Wet West.
Say that 5 times fast. Ha
I never owned a car so if insurance is discounted then you might do it all
year depending on your situation.

Just do it!

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home