PDA

View Full Version : Drivers and police

January 4th 07, 11:21 AM
Hi All,

Yesterday while driving to town, I had a police car behind me the whole
way (25km). This put me on my best behavior. I normally drive 10-15km
faster than the limit, except when the limit is 50km or less. but not
this time. (Before anyone gives me any grief over this, the speed
limits here in Norway are very low, and in general I am a very
considerate driver despite my modest speeding.) This morning on a bike
ride, I was thinking how nice it would be for drivers to be on their
best behavior around cyclists, as yet another driver found it fit to
pass me with only .5m or so clearance, when other drivers find the
courtesy to give me 2m.

So what about getting jerseys/jackets made that say "POLICE" in big
letters on the back? Would that help?

Aside from impersonating an officer type legal issues, do people think
this would help? Would it help most of the time, but backfire big-time
with some yahoos who think "let's scare this pig!" or something?

Joseph

Claire Petersky
January 4th 07, 02:44 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...

> So what about getting jerseys/jackets made that say "POLICE" in big
> letters on the back? Would that help?
>
> Aside from impersonating an officer type legal issues, do people think
> this would help? Would it help most of the time, but backfire big-time
> with some yahoos who think "let's scare this pig!" or something?

Someone here at one time said he had a shirt that said in little letters
"Support your local" and then in big letters "POLICE", which takes care of
the impersonating an officer thing. He said people were on their best
behavior around him.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

John Kane
January 4th 07, 04:12 PM
Claire Petersky wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
> > So what about getting jerseys/jackets made that say "POLICE" in big
> > letters on the back? Would that help?
> >
> > Aside from impersonating an officer type legal issues, do people think
> > this would help? Would it help most of the time, but backfire big-time
> > with some yahoos who think "let's scare this pig!" or something?
>

> Someone here at one time said he had a shirt that said in little letters
> "Support your local" and then in big letters "POLICE", which takes care of
> the impersonating an officer thing. He said people were on their best
> behavior around him.

I believe I once read a posting about someone with the word POLITE on
their cycling jacket. :)

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Leo Lichtman
January 4th 07, 04:47 PM
> wrote: (clip) Would it help most of the time,
but backfire big-time (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Eventually a police officer would see you and could give you a really bad
time. Claire's suggestion might take care of that problem, but I wouldn't
count on it.

rdclark
January 4th 07, 05:23 PM
When I used to ride a blue Trek hybrid with a rack trunk on the back, a
blue jersey, a white helmet, black baggy shorts and sometimes a yellow
windbreaker or vest, people needing the services of a police officer
used to flag me down. Sometime groups of kids would see me coming and
run away.

That stopped when I started riding a touring bike.

RichC

Tom Keats
January 7th 07, 08:00 AM
In article om>,
writes:

> So what about getting jerseys/jackets made that say "POLICE" in big
> letters on the back? Would that help?

No.

"You can't bull**** a bike."
-- Zoot Katz

Just be honest with yourself and others wrt your
right to use the streets & roads.

Subterfuge is beneath dignity, and as such is
ultimately harmful.

cheers,
Tom

--