PDA

View Full Version : Re: Bottom Bracket -4- Record Crankset

James Thomson
July 15th 03, 06:55 PM
"Giwi" > wrote:

> *?* How can I ascertain whether it is a new or old Campy Record
> crankset?

> Campagnolo Record 172.5
> Made in Italy
> 10 Speed
> C10 53/39 <E>
> Brev. Campagnolo is stamped on both chainrings.

That's a new (current model) crank. You need a current Record or Chorus
bottom bracket with a 102mm axle.

James Thomson

Paul Kopit
July 15th 03, 07:24 PM
On 15 Jul 2003 10:02:40 -0700, (Giwi) wrote:

>Campagnolo Record 172.5
>Made in Italy
>10 Speed
>C10 53/39 <E>
>Brev. Campagnolo is stamped on both chainrings.

102 ISO or "Campy taper". I have a Chorus that is like new in British
68 mm shell if you are interested.

Giwi
July 16th 03, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the info - first person to help me (and I even called Campy USA)...

*How* did you know it was new and not old, though? Might help me in the future.

=

"James Thomson" > wrote in message >...
> "Giwi" > wrote:
>
> > *?* How can I ascertain whether it is a new or old Campy Record
> > crankset?
>
> > Campagnolo Record 172.5
> > Made in Italy
> > 10 Speed
> > C10 53/39 <E>
> > Brev. Campagnolo is stamped on both chainrings.
>
> That's a new (current model) crank. You need a current Record or Chorus
> bottom bracket with a 102mm axle.
>
> James Thomson

Qui si parla Campagnolo
July 16th 03, 01:37 PM
garen-<< I have a Campagnolo Record crankset (a double) that I would like to
use on a new bicycle, but I do not have the original bottom bracket.
I have been told that if it's an older Campy crankset it will probably
work with any "standard" spindle/BB from Tange or Shimano, >><BR><BR>
<< but that if
it's "newer" then it might require Campy specific parts. I suppose
this has something to do with spindle taper. >><BR><BR>

If the crank says 'Campagnolo' and 'Record ' with the size on the arm outside,
it needs a Campagnolo 102mm BB..If it just has a shield logo, then it needs a
Campagnolo 111mm BB.

<< Campagnolo Record 172.5
Made in Italy
10 Speed
C10 53/39 >><BR><BR>

Ya need a Chorus or Record BB in 102mm length.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Paul Southworth
July 16th 03, 05:31 PM
In article >,
Giwi > wrote:
>Thanks for the info - first person to help me (and I even called Campy USA)...
>
>*How* did you know it was new and not old, though?

The most obvious -

1. 10-speed is new by definition
2. Old Record cranks can't take a 39 tooth ring.

--Paul

> Might help me in the future.
>
>=
>

>"James Thomson" > wrote in message >...
>> "Giwi" > wrote:
>>
>> > *?* How can I ascertain whether it is a new or old Campy Record
>> > crankset?
>>
>> > Campagnolo Record 172.5
>> > Made in Italy
>> > 10 Speed
>> > C10 53/39 <E>
>> > Brev. Campagnolo is stamped on both chainrings.
>>
>> That's a new (current model) crank. You need a current Record or Chorus
>> bottom bracket with a 102mm axle.
>>
>> James Thomson

James Thomson
July 17th 03, 10:31 AM
"Paul Southworth" > wrote:

> 2. Old Record cranks can't take a 39 tooth ring.

A quibble: Corsa-Record cranks used a 135mm bcd (and would therefore accept
a 39t ring) but required a 111mm bottom bracket.

James Thomson

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home