PDA

View Full Version : Re: New Wheel selection help

Jamie
July 15th 03, 07:18 PM
Dude save the 7 speed for some training and get a new set of wheels.10 years
old is old.New wheel will roll better and you will all the newness of the
wheels rims not worn-hubs smoother bearing.There are all kind of rims out
there . I don't think the flat bladed spokes really do that much for wind
restinace.Mainly rotating weight is what make a difference.
Good luck .

--
J/O Trailblazer At large !!

Kevin
July 15th 03, 09:49 PM
10 years eh? Find thee a LBS that can build a custom wheel for you. You
give the group your city and state, and then wait for recommendations. Or
ask a local club.

If you don't have anyone near you, talk to Peter White in New Hampshire.
There are many others, he is just one that has a good wheel building
history. You like big shops, Excel Sports is hard to beat. You won't know
the man's name that built the wheel, but they are still good.

Personally, I like 32 spokes, at least for training. You break a spoke and
you ride home on a wobbling wheel. You break a low spoke wheel, and you're
mostly walking. Ride the best on race day.

"Matt Peeler" > wrote in message
om...
> I recently moved to a 9sp frame(Klein Quantum) due to a cracked frame.
> I still use the front wheel from my 7sp frame and I bought an Matrix
> ISO 3 wheel for the back. I am currently doing alot of road work and I
> am training for a triathlon with a 56 mile time trial.
>
> I always have had backup wheels for my 7sp and I am looking to do the
> same for my new 9sp rear. But I am wanting some help on what is the
> best option for me.
> My front wheel is an ISOII that is 10yrs old.
>
> I weight about 175 and am currently doing a 40k in about 1h05m.
>
> I have been seeing alot of these wheels like the R540s,or other type
> with bladed spokes. Is there really a great advantage in doing time
> trials with these. I was just going to find a used hub and have on old
> velocity rim that I was using on my 7sp, but I am considering buying a
> pair of those type wheels for time trialing but don't know if it is
> worth the expense. But considering the age of my front wheel, I am
> wondering if it may be a good idea to do it.
>
> Is my weight a consideration for any of those type wheels? or any
> particular to stay away from?
>
> Any suggestions would be helpful.
>
> Matt P.

Google