PDA

View Full Version : Re: Recommendations for bike shop in Bristol?

Andy Dingley
January 12th 07, 06:10 PM
Roger Burton West wrote:

> Bristol

> a friendly local bike shop

I think they're extinct 8-( The ones that used to be either good or
friendly a few years ago aren't up to much these days. I can think of
several, but not _one_ I'd recommend any more as a "good" bike shop.
These days I can find a wider range of stock off the shelf by
mail-order (Edinburgh usually) and do the spannering myself. I
certainly don't need to be told that something as mundane as a chain
for the everyday hack is 20 quid because "that's all they have in
stock" (a super-turbo unobtainium 12 speed, I presume)

I suppose Fred Baker's has changed the least. They've been patronising
gits since some time in the '50s at least (if you're not wearing
chamois pants you don't count as a Real Cyclist). Still, they're
competent at least.

Paul Boyd
January 12th 07, 06:41 PM
On 12/01/2007 18:10, Andy Dingley > said,

> I suppose Fred Baker's has changed the least. They've been patronising
> gits since some time in the '50s at least (if you're not wearing
> chamois pants you don't count as a Real Cyclist). Still, they're
> competent at least.

Flippin' 'eck - I'd forgotten them - are they still patronising gits? I
tended to avoid that shop to avoid being patronised :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd
January 12th 07, 06:45 PM
And whilst we're reminiscing about old bike shops, anyone remember Ken
Gibbs on Stapleton Road? I used to gaze in wonder at a Raleigh Wayfarer
in the window there (why, oh, why?) and worked out that if I saved my
pocket money for, oh, about 50 years I could buy one!

They were certainly very helpful when I took my old wrecks in for fixing
with no money, and later on providing bits to keep said old wrecks
running once I worked out which way to turn the spanners!

Jeez - that makes me sound old!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

John B
January 12th 07, 07:20 PM
Paul Boyd wrote:

> On 12/01/2007 18:10, Andy Dingley > said,
>
> > I suppose Fred Baker's has changed the least. They've been patronising
> > gits since some time in the '50s at least (if you're not wearing
> > chamois pants you don't count as a Real Cyclist). Still, they're
> > competent at least.
>
> Flippin' 'eck - I'd forgotten them - are they still patronising gits? I
> tended to avoid that shop to avoid being patronised :-)

I bought my first ever cycle jersey from them in 19 (mumble mumble).
Light blue with two red bands in itchy wool...

i was so proud of it :-)

John B

Andy Dingley
January 13th 07, 12:12 AM
Paul Boyd wrote:

> Fred Baker's

> Flippin' 'eck - I'd forgotten them - are they still patronising gits?

My _Dad_ remembers Fred Baker's as being patronising gits. It's a
tradition.

One day I shall don my tweed plus fours, wax my moustache and ride down
there on a penny farthing. Then they can tell me again they don't have
bits for my new-fangled modern contraption!

Rob Morley
January 13th 07, 03:38 AM
In article >, Andy
Dingley >
says...
<snip>
> I suppose Fred Baker's has changed the least. They've been patronising
> gits since some time in the '50s at least (if you're not wearing
> chamois pants you don't count as a Real Cyclist). Still, they're
> competent at least.

I have fond memories of Fred Baker's back in the 70s - are/were they
really that bad?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home