PDA

View Full Version : Re: handlebar stuck on its side

Werehatrack
July 16th 03, 07:56 PM
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:22:40 GMT, "RB" > may have
said:

>hi,
>
>when i moved, the movers did something to the handlebar so as to make it
>parallel to the length of the bicycle ( makes it easier to move it - i was
>told ). i was told i could undo it when i wanted. i am trying it now and am
>having no success. what tool do i need? the cycle is a normal one, a 50
>dollar one that you can buy at KMart.

At the back end of the arm that has the handlebars clamped into it,
there's a vertical thing with a bolt in the middle of the top of it;
it's probably got a 13mm or 1/2 inch head. It might have an allen
head, in which case you may need a 6mm allen wrench. Loosen that bolt
about two turns, and then give the head of the bolt a couple of light
taps with a small hammer or a big wrench. The handlebar assembly
should suddenly be able to swivel. Line it back up where it needs to
be, and retighten the bolt. If you're not sure how tight is "tight
enough", take it to a bike shop; they'll know.

---
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.

it's also possible that I'm busy.

E & V Willson
July 17th 03, 04:00 AM
Also be aware that if you have centerpull brakes, they mey need to be
readjusted.

Ernie

Werehatrack wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:22:40 GMT, "RB" > may have
> said:
>
> >hi,
> >
> >when i moved, the movers did something to the handlebar so as to make it
> >parallel to the length of the bicycle ( makes it easier to move it - i was
> >told ). i was told i could undo it when i wanted. i am trying it now and am
> >having no success. what tool do i need? the cycle is a normal one, a 50
> >dollar one that you can buy at KMart.
>
> At the back end of the arm that has the handlebars clamped into it,
> there's a vertical thing with a bolt in the middle of the top of it;
> it's probably got a 13mm or 1/2 inch head. It might have an allen
> head, in which case you may need a 6mm allen wrench. Loosen that bolt
> about two turns, and then give the head of the bolt a couple of light
> taps with a small hammer or a big wrench. The handlebar assembly
> should suddenly be able to swivel. Line it back up where it needs to
> be, and retighten the bolt. If you're not sure how tight is "tight
> enough", take it to a bike shop; they'll know.
>
> ---
> My email address is antispammed;
> pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
>
> Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something,
> it's also possible that I'm busy.

stu
July 17th 03, 09:46 AM
stand facing the back of the bike with the front wheel between your legs and
try turning the handlebars back to where they should be. l doubt they undid
the bolt to turn it, so you may be able to turn it back without undoing it.
then of course the question is, is it tight enough??

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home