PDA

View Full Version : fixed speed

nash
January 14th 07, 09:34 PM
How do you go up hills on a single fixed or is it downhill you cannot
adjust?

Wondering because for $300 a Windsor looks darn cheap.

Werehatrack
January 14th 07, 09:40 PM
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 21:34:06 GMT, "nash" >
may have said:

>How do you go up hills on a single fixed or is it downhill you cannot
>adjust?

Adjust? A fixie rider must simply have the leg power to climb the
hill with the chosen gearing, or walk. On descent of steep hills, if
the bike does not have hand brakes, then the fixie rider needs to have
leg-braking skills sharply honed, or very good medical insurance
and/or a currently valid will.

>Wondering because for $300 a Windsor looks darn cheap.

For certain values of "cheap", perhaps.

January 14th 07, 09:45 PM
The Motobecane messenger is a better deal- has freewheel/fix flip flop
and brakes. I will be getting one

nash wrote:
> How do you go up hills on a single fixed or is it downhill you cannot
> adjust?
>
> Wondering because for $300 a Windsor looks darn cheap.

Qui si parla Campagnolo
January 14th 07, 10:16 PM
nash wrote:
> How do you go up hills on a single fixed or is it downhill you cannot
> adjust?
>
> Wondering because for $300 a Windsor looks darn cheap.

stand up and grunt up...use legs or front brake to control speed down...

Skip
January 15th 07, 12:39 AM
"Werehatrack" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 21:34:06 GMT, "nash" >
> may have said:
>
>>How do you go up hills on a single fixed or is it downhill you cannot
>>adjust?
>
> On descent of steep hills, if
> the bike does not have hand brakes, then the fixie rider needs to have
> leg-braking skills sharply honed, or very good medical insurance
> and/or a currently valid will.

The classic "Jack's Footer" video clip
http://one.revver.com/videos/watch/31941

- Skip

greggery peccary
January 15th 07, 01:59 AM

> The classic "Jack's Footer" video clip
> http://one.revver.com/videos/watch/31941

nice landing!

nash
January 15th 07, 02:49 AM
"nash" > wrote in message
> How do you go up hills on a single fixed or is it downhill you cannot
> adjust?
>
> Wondering because for $300 a Windsor looks darn cheap.

Are the fixed speeds used in velodrome racing or training?

Tom Keats
January 15th 07, 03:33 AM
In article <zYBqh.655722$1T2.599973@pd7urf2no>,
"nash" > writes:

> "nash" > wrote in message
>> How do you go up hills on a single fixed or is it downhill you cannot
>> adjust?
>>
>> Wondering because for $300 a Windsor looks darn cheap.
>
> Are the fixed speeds used in velodrome racing or training?

Heh.

My smile is wider than my face can handle :-)

No, I'm not mocking you or doing or thinking anything
derogatory towards ya. Perish the thought.

It's just that track racing gets so little publicity,
yet it's such a valid venue for competitive cycling.
But the road races hog all the glory and public exposure,
while track racing goes so largely unnoticed.

If only I were 35 or so years younger ...

Anyways, yes -- track bikes are fixed-gear. And track
handlebars are different-looking than road handlebars.
And when you stand and look at the banked curves of
a wooden track, you'll be awe-struck. When you're
sitting in the stands and feel the rush of air as the
riders zoom past ... well, it just gets under your skin.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Mike Kruger
January 15th 07, 04:32 AM
Tom Keats wrote:
> In article <zYBqh.655722$1T2.599973@pd7urf2no>,
> "nash" > writes:
>>
>> "nash" > wrote in message
>>> How do you go up hills on a single fixed or is it downhill you
>>> cannot adjust?
>>>
>>> Wondering because for $300 a Windsor looks darn cheap.
>>
>> Are the fixed speeds used in velodrome racing or training?
>
> Heh.
>
> My smile is wider than my face can handle :-)
>
> No, I'm not mocking you or doing or thinking anything
> derogatory towards ya. Perish the thought.
>
> It's just that track racing gets so little publicity,
> yet it's such a valid venue for competitive cycling.
> But the road races hog all the glory and public exposure,
> while track racing goes so largely unnoticed.
>
> If only I were 35 or so years younger ...
>
> Anyways, yes -- track bikes are fixed-gear. And track
> handlebars are different-looking than road handlebars.
> And when you stand and look at the banked curves of
> a wooden track, you'll be awe-struck. When you're
> sitting in the stands and feel the rush of air as the
> riders zoom past ... well, it just gets under your skin.

As Tom notes, velodrome bikes ("track bikes") are fixed gear, and have no
brakes.

Fixed gear bikes are also seen on the road. Bike messengers like them
because they demand less maintenance. Winter cyclists often prefer them for
the same reason. These bikes are often converted -- old 10-speeds are
popular in some quarters because they have a more horizontal rear dropout.
on the frame. Such bikes typically keep one or both brakes.

As usual, Sheldon Brown is an excellent source -- I may have missed this URL
being posted earlier in the thread.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html

Tom Keats
January 15th 07, 04:59 AM
In article >,
"Mike Kruger" > writes:
> Tom Keats wrote:
>> In article <zYBqh.655722$1T2.599973@pd7urf2no>,
>> "nash" > writes:
>>>
>>> "nash" > wrote in message

>>> Are the fixed speeds used in velodrome racing or training?
>>
>> Heh.
>>
>> My smile is wider than my face can handle :-)
>>
>> No, I'm not mocking you or doing or thinking anything
>> derogatory towards ya. Perish the thought.
>>
>> It's just that track racing gets so little publicity,
>> yet it's such a valid venue for competitive cycling.
>> But the road races hog all the glory and public exposure,
>> while track racing goes so largely unnoticed.
>>
>> If only I were 35 or so years younger ...
>>
>> Anyways, yes -- track bikes are fixed-gear. And track
>> handlebars are different-looking than road handlebars.
>> And when you stand and look at the banked curves of
>> a wooden track, you'll be awe-struck. When you're
>> sitting in the stands and feel the rush of air as the
>> riders zoom past ... well, it just gets under your skin.
>>
> As Tom notes, velodrome bikes ("track bikes") are fixed gear, and have no
> brakes.
>
> Fixed gear bikes are also seen on the road.

But those aren't generally /track bikes/. Those
are do-fers with some track bike qualities.

> Bike messengers like them
> because they demand less maintenance.

They've also been known to foil would-be thieves
who've tried to ride away on 'em, only to be
surprised to discover coasting isn't available.

> Winter cyclists often prefer them for
> the same reason. These bikes are often converted -- old 10-speeds are
> popular in some quarters because they have a more horizontal rear dropout.
> on the frame. Such bikes typically keep one or both brakes.

Vancouver BC is especially blessed, as we're still rife with
beautiful, lugged-steel '70s Bike Boom imports from Japan,
that provide excellent frames for that purpose.

> As usual, Sheldon Brown is an excellent source -- I may have missed this URL
> being posted earlier in the thread.
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html

I'm enthralled with his Rivendell with the dual
chainrings -- not quite a purist's fixed-gear,
but affording a little bit of option.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Tom Keats
January 15th 07, 05:11 AM
In article >,
(Tom Keats) writes:
> In article >,
> "Mike Kruger" > writes:

>> These bikes are often converted -- old 10-speeds are
>> popular in some quarters because they have a more horizontal rear dropout.
>> on the frame.

N.B: horizontal dropouts facilitate tensioning the chain
by moving the rear wheel back & forth in the dropouts.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Qui si parla Campagnolo
January 15th 07, 02:14 PM
Tom Keats wrote:
> In article <zYBqh.655722$1T2.599973@pd7urf2no>,
> "nash" > writes:
> >
> > "nash" > wrote in message
> >> How do you go up hills on a single fixed or is it downhill you cannot
> >> adjust?
> >>
> >> Wondering because for $300 a Windsor looks darn cheap.
> >
> > Are the fixed speeds used in velodrome racing or training?
>
> Heh.
>
> My smile is wider than my face can handle :-)
>
> No, I'm not mocking you or doing or thinking anything
> derogatory towards ya. Perish the thought.
>
> It's just that track racing gets so little publicity,
> yet it's such a valid venue for competitive cycling.
> But the road races hog all the glory and public exposure,
> while track racing goes so largely unnoticed.

Sure, but ya know, need a velodrome first...those are the things in
short supply. 'They' have been saying one woud be around here for
decades. Track racing is so much better to watch than road racing, gear
cheaper, lots of fun.

> If only I were 35 or so years younger ...
>
> Anyways, yes -- track bikes are fixed-gear. And track
> handlebars are different-looking than road handlebars.
> And when you stand and look at the banked curves of
> a wooden track, you'll be awe-struck. When you're
> sitting in the stands and feel the rush of air as the
> riders zoom past ... well, it just gets under your skin.
>

> cheers,
> Tom
>
> --
> Nothing is safe from me.
> Above address is just a spam midden.
> I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

John Thompson
January 15th 07, 07:34 PM
On 2007-01-14, nash > wrote:

> How do you go up hills on a single fixed

The same way you do on any other bike, except you don't change gears.

> or is it downhill you cannot adjust?

You can't *coast* on a fixed gear, which takes some of the joy of
downhills away. You'll want a brake of some sort so you can keep your
speed down to a point where your legs can handle it.

--

John )

John Thompson
January 15th 07, 07:46 PM
On 2007-01-15, Skip > wrote:

> The classic "Jack's Footer" video clip
> http://one.revver.com/videos/watch/31941

So, what was the piece that came off just before he crashed?

--

John )

Curtis L. Russell
January 15th 07, 08:41 PM
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 13:34:30 -0600, John Thompson
> wrote:

>You can't *coast* on a fixed gear, which takes some of the joy of
>downhills away. You'll want a brake of some sort so you can keep your
>speed down to a point where your legs can handle it.

Long ago, they would coast on a fixie - but you better have good tread
for when you put your shoe against the tire when you needed to slow
down. The coasting was done a lot like a penny farthing - put out your
legs and worry about making contact with the pedals later. Doubt it is
the way preferred by your friends and local health provider.

The fun part of a fixed gear was the first week each year, getting the
second foot into the cage (mine was presnap-in) while in traffic.
Always got easier, but at least once I would look like a complete
idiot, pedalling one-legged for a block or so. That would also be the
week when I would hit the brake coming to a stop and forget I was on
the fixed gear, backpedal my feet to coast and go over the handle
bars. Had a routine, picking up the bike like it was its fault...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

January 15th 07, 09:22 PM
John Thompson writes:

>> The classic "Jack's Footer" video clip:

http://one.revver.com/videos/watch/31941

> So, what was the piece that came off just before he crashed?

If you look carefully, you'll see that the tire bulges off the rim
ahead of the road contact, not being attached by glue or anchor
screws. This causes flexing and together with the shimmy caused by
pedal imbalance, apparent throughout the run, broke the tire at its
joint. The noise heard is the bare rim scraping on the pavement.

I don't know the background of this bicycle but it appears to be a
replica, the shiny spokes not being available in the days of such
bicycles. The pedals are also "modern". Too bad he didn't research
the project enough to know that retaining a solid tire is a serious
problem. Inflated, clinchers and tubulars take care of retention by
constriction of their bias ply casing. However, tubulars crept around
the wheel from heavy braking on hills by melting rim glue that became
a lubricant, ultimately bursting the tire at the valve stem.

What you saw coming off was the solid tire after it separated at its
butt joint where it failed from the flexing tire bulge.

Jobst Brandt

January 16th 07, 01:15 AM
nash wrote:
> How do you go up hills on a single fixed or is it downhill you cannot
> adjust?

With your legs. On the bicycle.

And the Law is that you will not make up on the
down-hill what you lost on the uphill, Mr. Multi-speed.

> Wondering because for $300 a Windsor looks darn cheap.

And probably worth what you pay. A decent track
crank and wheelset will set you back well over twice
that.

It all depends on what you want.

nash
January 16th 07, 02:44 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> nash wrote:
>> How do you go up hills on a single fixed or is it downhill you cannot
>> adjust?
>
> With your legs. On the bicycle.
>
> And the Law is that you will not make up on the
> down-hill what you lost on the uphill, Mr. Multi-speed.
>
>> Wondering because for $300 a Windsor looks darn cheap.
>
> And probably worth what you pay. A decent track
> crank and wheelset will set you back well over twice
> that.
>
> It all depends on what you want.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/thehour.htm

does that answer question on quality. If they shipped to Canada I would get
it because it is cheaper than making your own from an old 10 speed. Would
not know how anyways. The dollars are low, not the value as far as I can
tell.

Ryan Cousineau
January 16th 07, 04:18 AM
In article <c_Wqh.665987$5R2.295855@pd7urf3no>,
"nash" > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > nash wrote:
> >> How do you go up hills on a single fixed or is it downhill you cannot
> >> adjust?
> >
> > With your legs. On the bicycle.
> >
> > And the Law is that you will not make up on the
> > down-hill what you lost on the uphill, Mr. Multi-speed.
> >
> >> Wondering because for $300 a Windsor looks darn cheap.
> >
> > And probably worth what you pay. A decent track
> > crank and wheelset will set you back well over twice
> > that.
> >
> > It all depends on what you want.
>
> http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/thehour.htm
>
> does that answer question on quality. If they shipped to Canada I would get
> it because it is cheaper than making your own from an old 10 speed. Would
> not know how anyways. The dollars are low, not the value as far as I can
> tell.

Nash:

Sports Junkies has KHS track bikes for C$500.

The preferred method for shipping stuff to Canada is to get them to ship
to The Letter Carrier in Point Roberts, WA. The receiving fee that TLC
charges is minimal, and I am a happy repeat customer.

thelettercarrier.com

nash
January 16th 07, 07:01 AM
Sports Junkies has KHS track bikes for C$500.
<<<<<

Sounds like it must be used. The Windsor is 60% off.
Though I have often wondered about Pt. Roberts delivery, thank-you.

SN
Thanks for everyones help.
I think track bikes should stay inside on the track. Speed just seems to
get me into alot of trouble. Especially when it is my right of way.
Might think about it again when I need another bike.

Ryan Cousineau
January 18th 07, 02:41 AM
In article <EL_qh.676622$R63.506896@pd7urf1no>,
"nash" > wrote:

> Sports Junkies has KHS track bikes for C$500.
> <<<<<
>
> Sounds like it must be used. The Windsor is 60% off.
> Though I have often wondered about Pt. Roberts delivery, thank-you.

Brand new, unused, regular stock, may be a 2005 model.

> SN
> Thanks for everyones help.
> I think track bikes should stay inside on the track. Speed just seems to
> get me into alot of trouble. Especially when it is my right of way.
> Might think about it again when I need another bike.

Track bikes aren't fast, or at least not faster than a road bike.
However, I consider riding them on the road without a front brake an act
of unnecessary risk-taking.

Tom Keats
January 18th 07, 09:59 AM
In article . com>,
"qui si parla Campagnolo" > writes:

>> It's just that track racing gets so little publicity,
>> yet it's such a valid venue for competitive cycling.
>> But the road races hog all the glory and public exposure,
>> while track racing goes so largely unnoticed.
>
> Sure, but ya know, need a velodrome first...those are the things in
> short supply. 'They' have been saying one woud be around here for
> decades.

If only there was a will in your locale.

Y'know, a City Council might be persuaded
that a velodrome (or, at least an outdoor
wooden track) could be a revenue generator.

Sometimes City Councils have to invest some money
into some "folly" in order to convince the bigger
governments to give 'em even more money. Maybe there's
a *TEA thing that could be exploi ... erm ... invoked.

> Track racing is so much better to watch than road racing, gear
> cheaper, lots of fun.

Yes indeedy.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

landotter
January 30th 07, 05:12 PM
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 13:45:37 -0800, bigjim typed:

> The Motobecane messenger is a better deal- has freewheel/fix flip flop
> and brakes. I will be getting one

I've seen my neighbor's. It's perfectly decent. Comes with two brakes. Two
brakes is good.

> nash wrote:
>> How do you go up hills on a single fixed or is it downhill you cannot
>> adjust?

Ya push the pedals. It's no big deal, unless your area is super hilly like
SF or Seattle. Here in the rolling SE, it's just hilly enough to be
interesting.

>> Wondering because for $300 a Windsor looks darn cheap.

You'll need to account for 50 to 75 bucks to get some basic brakes for it.
The gearing might not be acceptable, so you might need to spend an
additional $25-30 for a new track cog. Still a pretty decent deal.

Don't be a brakeless schmuck.

nash
January 30th 07, 08:32 PM
Don't be a brakeless schmuck

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Wouldn't think of it and your post was very helpful. thank-you

landotter
January 30th 07, 09:18 PM
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:32:50 +0000, nash typed:

> Don't be a brakeless schmuck
>

> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> Wouldn't think of it and your post was very helpful. thank-you

No problems. I got to see a hi-rez pic of the Motobecane, and it seems
that the brakes are really decent if cheap Tektros. The hubs are pretty
nice Formulas. Frame welds look good. Only thing I don't like are the
shape of the handlebars. I like either a classic Maes bend or a moustache
bar. Cheap enough to replace, though.

The orange is far cooler than the blue, and no doubt faster.

I ride a Redline 925 as my do-everything ride. It's a great bang/buck
fixie. It comes with wider tires, fenders, and moustache bars, if that's
your thing. $500 list. It feels very nimble, but strong enough to jump
over curbs.

The Bianchi San Jose is a hundred more than mine, and super cool bike as
well. You can probably find one on sale as it's winter.

February 1st 07, 10:38 AM
On Jan 14, 10:34 pm, "nash" > wrote:
> How do you go up hills on a single fixed or is it downhill you cannot
> adjust?
>
> Wondering because for $300 a Windsor looks darn cheap.

I have one. I put a $15 brake on the front for emergencies. Ialso put
an $18 Surley cog on because I wanted an 18T and I wanted something
more sturdy than the stock cheap one. It's great fun, and I think good
training. I am at least much stonger after riding mine around for a
few months.

The spokes on the back wheel were not up to my 220 lbs, but otherwise
the bike has stood up quite well.

Others have suggested the Motobecane which comes with brakes, but
seems to be otherwise the same bike. I don't know the exact geometry,
but I like the Widsor. I think it is the same bike more or less as the
cheap Fuji. Same components, same type size stickers, box is very
similar. Pretty sure same factory, so maybe same geometry.

I like fixed because all you do is ride.

Joseph

nash
February 1st 07, 06:13 PM
I like fixed because all you do is ride.

Joseph<<<<<<<<<<<

Good point. Thank-you

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home