PDA

View Full Version : Helmet strap

July 17th 03, 01:30 AM
My helmet strap is gettin stinky! Any suggestions on how to clean it?
It's a Giro helmet and I'm not sure if there is a way to take the strap
off the helmet to throw it in the wash. If I do manage to get the strap
off - what are the chances of getting it back on the right way?

--
"A bicycle can't stand on its own because it is two-tired."

Edward Dike, III
July 17th 03, 01:57 AM
I frequently wash my helmet in the kitchen sink, sometimes spraying, and
pre-soaking with 409/ window cleaner.....hot water washes/rinses from the
sprayer seem to have no ill-effects on helmet/ parts. Others I know soak
them in a pail of water
ED3
> wrote in message ...
| My helmet strap is gettin stinky! Any suggestions on how to clean it?
| It's a Giro helmet and I'm not sure if there is a way to take the strap
| off the helmet to throw it in the wash. If I do manage to get the strap
| off - what are the chances of getting it back on the right way?
|
| --
| "A bicycle can't stand on its own because it is two-tired."

Werehatrack
July 17th 03, 03:10 AM
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:30:22 -0400, may have said:

>My helmet strap is gettin stinky! Any suggestions on how to clean it?
>It's a Giro helmet and I'm not sure if there is a way to take the strap
>off the helmet to throw it in the wash. If I do manage to get the strap
>off - what are the chances of getting it back on the right way?

I'm not familiar with all of their models, but most of their straps
that I've seen are designed to be removable; draw a picture of how
they're routed now, and then carefully remove them and wash with
whatever you'd use on clothing. If they're not removable, I'd have no
qualms about soaking the straps with a spray all-purpose cleaner and
rinsing them off in the sink as often as needed to get them degrunged.
For that matter, rubbing liquid laundry detergent into the straps
should work well, too.

---
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.

it's also possible that I'm busy.

Chalo
July 17th 03, 06:38 AM
wrote:

> My helmet strap is gettin stinky! Any suggestions on how to clean it?

-- Cut off stinky strap; glue helmet to scalp with 3M Fastack

-- Rub strap with tuna; leave out for cat to clean

-- Hose down helmet with Aqua Velva

-- Simmer helmet overnight in a pot of bleach

-- Just throw it away! You'll look and feel better without the
spastic-retard headgear anyway. If you want real head protection, get
a full-face ANSI/Snell certified motorcycle helmet and wear it in the
car.

Chalo Colina

(Pete Cresswell)
July 18th 03, 01:55 AM
RE/
>My helmet strap is gettin stinky! Any suggestions on how to clean it?

Once it's clean, try rinsing the helmet under a hot water tap after each use.

Mine's stayed primo since I started doing that - only takes a minute or two if
use our utility sink that's next to the hot water heater....
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

Phil, Squid-in-Training
July 18th 03, 09:21 AM
> spastic-retard headgear anyway. If you want real head protection, get
> a full-face ANSI/Snell certified motorcycle helmet and wear it in the
> car.

Uh... I've done that before...

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training