PDA

View Full Version : Fork Overhaul ended in Pilot Vs Axel

Andrew
July 18th 03, 05:41 AM
This is how my fork overhul attempt ended, Which el cheapo fork would you
choose if you ever get in the situation with little money and you missed
badly getting outside to ride Both $150. By the way 170lbs 5'8" cheap trek
hardtail rider in Philadelphia.
THANKS

Manitou 03 Axel Super Fork

03 Axel, 4.2 lbs Changeable Travel 80mm to 100mm, reverse Arch Lower Casting
for Stiffness, TPC Damping with adjustable Preload & Rebound, Coil Spring,
Micro Lube Black Finish
$149.99

Vs

The 2003 Pilot XC from Rock Shox is a sweet cross-country fork utilizing a
single sided coil spring with air assist. The positive air pressure is
adjustable via schrader valve so you can tune the fork to precisely suit
your weight.

The Pilot XC inherits SID inspired magnesium lower legs that are lightweight
and stiff. The crown is a lightweight aluminum forging, while the HC2
damping offers a broad linear adjustment range with a dramatic reduction in
fade. 28mm chromed steel upper tubes run butter smooth without the need for
boots. Chromoly steerer tube is super strong.

Fork features both V-BrakeŽ and international standard disc brake mounts.
Max tire size 2.1".

Travel: 80/100 mm via internal spacer
Weight: 4.38 lbs (uncut steerer tube)
Spring: Coil with air assist
Adjustments: Internal HC2 damping, positive air pressure
Stanchion Tubes: Chromed steel
$149

Jon Bond
July 18th 03, 07:18 AM
Be careful with the older Manitous - my coach had both of the internals in
his manitous eject themselves from the fork and graze his ears. He found
the parts, put them back in, and the forks still work, but that's NOT
something you want happening! Especially if his head was an inch and a half
over...

(They recalled them IIRC, but NOS ones might not have been returned)

Jon Bond

"B. Sanders" > wrote in message
> Neither. I'd buy a mint-condition or NOS Manitou SX-R or Manitou Magnum R
> on Ebay for $30 to $50. A couple of months ago I bought a mint-condition
> Manitou X-Vert for $60. Plenty of awesome fork deals to be had on Ebay.
> The newer forks aren't any better, or any lighter. If anything, they're
> made cheaper, and they cost more.
>
> Barry
>
> "Andrew" > wrote in message
> > This is how my fork overhul attempt ended, Which el cheapo fork would
you
> > choose if you ever get in the situation with little money and you missed
> > badly getting outside to ride Both $150. By the way 170lbs 5'8" cheap
> trek
> > hardtail rider in Philadelphia.
> > THANKS
> >
> > Manitou 03 Axel Super Fork
> >
> > 03 Axel, 4.2 lbs Changeable Travel 80mm to 100mm, reverse Arch Lower
> Casting
> > for Stiffness, TPC Damping with adjustable Preload & Rebound, Coil
Spring,
> > Micro Lube Black Finish
> > $149.99
> >
> > Vs
> >
> > The 2003 Pilot XC from Rock Shox is a sweet cross-country fork utilizing
> > single sided coil spring with air assist. The positive air pressure is
> > adjustable via schrader valve so you can tune the fork to precisely suit
> > your weight.
> >
> > The Pilot XC inherits SID inspired magnesium lower legs that are
> lightweight
> > and stiff. The crown is a lightweight aluminum forging, while the HC2
> > damping offers a broad linear adjustment range with a dramatic reduction
> in
> > fade. 28mm chromed steel upper tubes run butter smooth without the need
> for
> > boots. Chromoly steerer tube is super strong.
> >
> > Fork features both V-BrakeŽ and international standard disc brake
mounts.
> > Max tire size 2.1".
> >

> > Travel: 80/100 mm via internal spacer
> > Weight: 4.38 lbs (uncut steerer tube)
> > Spring: Coil with air assist
> > Adjustments: Internal HC2 damping, positive air pressure
> > Stanchion Tubes: Chromed steel
> > $149

Phil, Squid-in-Training
July 18th 03, 07:23 AM
> The newer forks aren't any better, or any lighter. If anything, they're
> made cheaper, and they cost more.

Are they?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

ctg
July 18th 03, 03:35 PM
"Andrew" > wrote in message
> This is how my fork overhul attempt ended, Which el cheapo fork would you
> choose if you ever get in the situation with little money and you missed
> badly getting outside to ride Both $150. By the way 170lbs 5'8" cheap
trek
> hardtail rider in Philadelphia.
> THANKS

Scrounge up 60 more bucks.

http://www.phattire.com/mar20z3bam.html

Chris

ctg
July 18th 03, 06:58 PM
"Andrew" > wrote in message
> This is how my fork overhul attempt ended, Which el cheapo fork would you
> choose if you ever get in the situation with little money and you missed
> badly getting outside to ride Both $150. By the way 170lbs 5'8" cheap
trek
> hardtail rider in Philadelphia.
> THANKS

Forogt to say in my other post if you're in desperate financial staights I
still have this laying in my closet...It's selling on the cheap (because,
well, it's cheap oem) but it will get you on the trail again.

http://www.dirtragmag.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=979

Chris

KSlater
July 19th 03, 02:52 AM
That's a major problem. Why don't the fork companies realise we like flex?
So far MZ seems to have the best one with the Shiver DC.

"R.White" > wrote in message
om...
> "B. Sanders" > wrote in message
> > Neither. I'd buy a mint-condition or NOS Manitou SX-R or Manitou Magnum
> > on Ebay for $30 to $50. A couple of months ago I bought a
mint-condition
> > Manitou X-Vert for $60. Plenty of awesome fork deals to be had on Ebay.
> > The newer forks aren't any better, or any lighter. If anything, they're
> > made cheaper, and they cost more.
>
> Yes, but every year each fork is 15% stiffer than last year. Soon
> they will be as stiff as a rigid fork.
>

> > "Andrew" > wrote in message
> > > This is how my fork overhul attempt ended, Which el cheapo fork would
you
> > > choose if you ever get in the situation with little money and you
missed
> > > badly getting outside to ride Both $150. By the way 170lbs 5'8" cheap
> > trek
> > > hardtail rider in Philadelphia.
> > > THANKS
> > >
> > > Manitou 03 Axel Super Fork
> > >
> > > 03 Axel, 4.2 lbs Changeable Travel 80mm to 100mm, reverse Arch Lower
> > Casting
> > > for Stiffness, TPC Damping with adjustable Preload & Rebound, Coil
Spring,
> > > Micro Lube Black Finish
> > > $149.99
> > >
> > > Vs
> > >
> > > The 2003 Pilot XC from Rock Shox is a sweet cross-country fork
utilizing a
> > > single sided coil spring with air assist. The positive air pressure is
> > > adjustable via schrader valve so you can tune the fork to precisely
suit
> > > your weight.
> > >
> > > The Pilot XC inherits SID inspired magnesium lower legs that are
> > lightweight
> > > and stiff. The crown is a lightweight aluminum forging, while the HC2
> > > damping offers a broad linear adjustment range with a dramatic
reduction
> > in
> > > fade. 28mm chromed steel upper tubes run butter smooth without the
need
> > for
> > > boots. Chromoly steerer tube is super strong.
> > >
> > > Fork features both V-BrakeŽ and international standard disc brake
mounts.
> > > Max tire size 2.1".
> > >

> > > Travel: 80/100 mm via internal spacer
> > > Weight: 4.38 lbs (uncut steerer tube)
> > > Spring: Coil with air assist
> > > Adjustments: Internal HC2 damping, positive air pressure
> > > Stanchion Tubes: Chromed steel
> > > $149

ctg
July 19th 03, 11:44 AM
"B. Sanders" > wrote in message
> "ctg" > wrote in message

> > Forogt to say in my other post if you're in desperate financial staights
> > still have this laying in my closet...It's selling on the cheap
(because,
> > well, it's cheap oem) but it will get you on the trail again.
> >
> > http://www.dirtragmag.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=979
>
> That's a nice fork at a good price. Manitou's TPC Sport oil damping is
> *much* better than no damping at all, which is what you get in most
low-end
> forks.
>
> If the bushings are still tight, and the stanchions aren't scored, this is
> good deal for somebody. (I have seen this type of fork for slightly less
on
> Ebay; but then you have to deal with Ebay, crazy-high shipping, snipe
bids,
> etc.)
>
> It looks a lot like my Manitou Magnum-R fork, and the specs appear to be
> almost identical (travel, damping, adjustment).
>
> -Barry

The stanchions are fine, I never took the boots off, and I never noticed
play in the bushings. I'd rather not ebay it, even though it often turns
into a seller's market. I saw some optimist trying to sell an sx for $100
with a buy-it-now option of $200, lol.

Chris

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home