PDA

View Full Version : Cassette Removal ?

Scott C
July 18th 03, 05:46 AM
OK, I put the cart before the horse.. and got a cassette removal tool, and
have had my cassette off. Other than cleaning, why would I remove it? Do you
'real riders' physically change gears often? (It will be nice to remove it
once a year to clean, but other than this, why would I use it?)

"sometimes not to bright!"

Scott

Jon Bond
July 18th 03, 06:24 AM
"Scott C" > wrote in message
> OK, I put the cart before the horse.. and got a cassette removal tool, and
> have had my cassette off. Other than cleaning, why would I remove it? Do
you
> 'real riders' physically change gears often? (It will be nice to remove it
> once a year to clean, but other than this, why would I use it?)
>
> "sometimes not to bright!"
>
> Scott

Reasons I've pulled my cassette off:

1) Wear of old cassette
2) Switching from 8sp to 9sp
3) wheel needed a new spoke
4) switching from one wheelset to a new one
5) new wheelset, new cassette
6) cleaning - about 2 or 3 times a season I'll totally strip the drivetrain
off, clean it up in the "utility sink", rinse, dry, and put back on the bike
sparkly clean. REALLY makes a huge difference!

Make sure you also have one chainwhip, you'll need it to hold the cogs while
you unscrew the lockring.

Jon Bond

Scott C
July 18th 03, 11:23 AM
Thanks.. yes, I have the Chain whip.. and I have thought about changing the
cassette and may buy another geared one to try.

sc

"Jon Bond" > wrote in message
> "Scott C" > wrote in message
> > OK, I put the cart before the horse.. and got a cassette removal tool,
and
> > have had my cassette off. Other than cleaning, why would I remove it? Do
> you
> > 'real riders' physically change gears often? (It will be nice to remove
it
> > once a year to clean, but other than this, why would I use it?)
> >
> > "sometimes not to bright!"
> >
> > Scott
>
> Reasons I've pulled my cassette off:
>
> 1) Wear of old cassette
> 2) Switching from 8sp to 9sp
> 3) wheel needed a new spoke
> 4) switching from one wheelset to a new one
> 5) new wheelset, new cassette
> 6) cleaning - about 2 or 3 times a season I'll totally strip the
drivetrain
> off, clean it up in the "utility sink", rinse, dry, and put back on the
bike
> sparkly clean. REALLY makes a huge difference!
>
> Make sure you also have one chainwhip, you'll need it to hold the cogs
while
> you unscrew the lockring.
>
> Jon Bond

Lee
July 18th 03, 01:30 PM
"Jon Bond" > wrote in message

> 6) cleaning - about 2 or 3 times a season I'll totally strip the
drivetrain
> off, clean it up in the "utility sink", rinse, dry, and put back on the
bike
> sparkly clean. REALLY makes a huge difference!

Utility sink.

Isn't that the one in the kitchen after the wife goes to bed?

Lee

Sheldon Brown
July 18th 03, 08:16 PM
Pete Biggs vouchsafed:

> I've never regretted buying ANY (good quality) tools - even the ones I've
> ended up using seldomly. It's satisfying just to know that you are
> *prepared* for anything. I even have a few tools that I don't know what
> they are for! :-)

Like every other boomer, I usedta own a VW Beetle, actually a couple of
'em, a '59, a '66 and a '63 microbus.

I bought a special Snap-On wrench for removing the carburetor (young
whippersnappers may not remember carburetors...) This was a 13-14
12-point box wrench with an "S" shaped handle, a highly specialized tool
indeed.

I haven't worked on a Beetle in years, and don't do any automotive work
at all these days--my Chrysler Town & Country minivan is way over my
head, even if I were willing to crawl around on my back in the dirt...

....but, this wrench turns out to be absolutely PERFECT for working with
the saddle clamps used on old-style pipe-type seatposts!

Sheldon "Serendipitude" Brown
| I millihelen = the amount of |
| beauty required to launch one ship. |
| --Peter Shickele |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Scott C
July 18th 03, 08:45 PM
Thanks, I will keep and see how I use them over the years.

sc

"Pete Biggs" > wrote in message
> Scott C wrote:
> > OK, I put the cart before the horse.. and got a cassette removal
> > tool, and have had my cassette off. Other than cleaning, why would I
> > remove it? Do you 'real riders' physically change gears often? (It
> > will be nice to remove it once a year to clean, but other than this,
> > why would I use it?)
>
> - Cleaning thoroughly more often than once a year.
> - Changing gears: yes it can be good to experiment or you may need to use
> wheel on different bike and want different gearing.
> - Replacing worn cassette or sprocket.
> - Upgrading number of speeds or quality.
> - Servicing hub (sometimes more convenient without cassette).
> - Replacing freewheel body.
> - Replacing broken spoke on drive side.
> - Rebuilding wheel with new rim or spokes.
> - Replacing wheel.
> - Fixing a friend's bike.
>
> I've never regretted buying ANY (good quality) tools - even the ones I've
> ended up using seldomly. It's satisfying just to know that you are
> *prepared* for anything. I even have a few tools that I don't know what
> they are for! :-)
>
> ~PB

Chris Zacho The Wheelman
July 20th 03, 10:21 PM
Pro riders change cogsets all the time, depending on the terrain of the
days race. But they usually just change the cassette, not the entire
body.

Other than cleaning, or replacement, I don't see any reason to.

May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!
Chris

Chris'Z Corner