PDA

View Full Version : Vegas Bike Rental

Scott Gordo
January 19th 07, 10:01 PM
I'm going to be shipped out to a class in Vegas between 2/11 - 2/18.
I'll be in training from 9-5 daily, so I'm unlikely to get much of a
chance to get into the hills.

I would like to get a bike to get around town on. Nothing fancy.

Any shops to recommend? Or pawnshops to pick up a $50 beater from?

Also -- I'm flying Southwest Airlines out of Islip and I was
considering borrowing a friend's Dahon 20" folder. I know I'm not
SUPPOSED to pay a surcharge for those things, but can I get
verification? (Yes, I'll also GIT with Southwest.)

/s

JD
January 20th 07, 12:14 AM
Scott Gordo wrote:
> I'm going to be shipped out to a class in Vegas between 2/11 - 2/18.
> I'll be in training from 9-5 daily, so I'm unlikely to get much of a
> chance to get into the hills.
>
> I would like to get a bike to get around town on. Nothing fancy.
>
> Any shops to recommend? Or pawnshops to pick up a $50 beater from?
>
> Also -- I'm flying Southwest Airlines out of Islip and I was
> considering borrowing a friend's Dahon 20" folder. I know I'm not
> SUPPOSED to pay a surcharge for those things, but can I get
> verification? (Yes, I'll also GIT with Southwest.)
>
> /s

I say hit the pawn shops. It'll be cheaper than a week's rental.

JD

Scott Gordo
January 22nd 07, 03:39 PM
JD wrote:
> Scott Gordo wrote:
> > I'm going to be shipped out to a class in Vegas between 2/11 - 2/18.
> > I'll be in training from 9-5 daily, so I'm unlikely to get much of a
> > chance to get into the hills.
> >
> > I would like to get a bike to get around town on. Nothing fancy.
> >
> > Any shops to recommend? Or pawnshops to pick up a $50 beater from?
> >
> > Also -- I'm flying Southwest Airlines out of Islip and I was
> > considering borrowing a friend's Dahon 20" folder. I know I'm not
> > SUPPOSED to pay a surcharge for those things, but can I get
> > verification? (Yes, I'll also GIT with Southwest.)
> >
> > /s
>

> I say hit the pawn shops. It'll be cheaper than a week's rental.
>
> JD

After scanning LV's craigslist I'm thinking the same. I can lock it up
somewhere and leave the keys at specified coordinates for anyone
visiting Vegas who'd like to borrow it. Community clunker.

/s

G.T.
January 22nd 07, 05:44 PM
Scott Gordo wrote:
> JD wrote:
>> Scott Gordo wrote:
>>> I'm going to be shipped out to a class in Vegas between 2/11 - 2/18.
>>> I'll be in training from 9-5 daily, so I'm unlikely to get much of a
>>> chance to get into the hills.
>>>
>>> I would like to get a bike to get around town on. Nothing fancy.
>>>
>>> Any shops to recommend? Or pawnshops to pick up a $50 beater from?
>>>
>>> Also -- I'm flying Southwest Airlines out of Islip and I was
>>> considering borrowing a friend's Dahon 20" folder. I know I'm not
>>> SUPPOSED to pay a surcharge for those things, but can I get
>>> verification? (Yes, I'll also GIT with Southwest.)
>>>
>>> /s
>>
>> I say hit the pawn shops. It'll be cheaper than a week's rental.
>>
>> JD
>
> After scanning LV's craigslist I'm thinking the same. I can lock it up
> somewhere and leave the keys at specified coordinates for anyone
> visiting Vegas who'd like to borrow it. Community clunker.

That's a great idea. With the dry weather it will probably last
forever, just leave it parked in the shade.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

MattB
January 22nd 07, 05:56 PM
G.T. wrote:
> Scott Gordo wrote:
>
>> JD wrote:

>>> I say hit the pawn shops. It'll be cheaper than a week's rental.
>>>
>>> JD
>>

>> After scanning LV's craigslist I'm thinking the same. I can lock it up
>> somewhere and leave the keys at specified coordinates for anyone
>> visiting Vegas who'd like to borrow it. Community clunker.
>>

> That's a great idea. With the dry weather it will probably last
> forever, just leave it parked in the shade.
>
> Greg

Can you get it in my size? :)

Matt (I usually ride an 18" or so)

David W
January 22nd 07, 07:14 PM
"MattB" > wrote in message
> G.T. wrote:
>> Scott Gordo wrote:

>>> After scanning LV's craigslist I'm thinking the same. I can lock it up
>>> somewhere and leave the keys at specified coordinates for anyone
>>> visiting Vegas who'd like to borrow it. Community clunker.
>>>

>> That's a great idea. With the dry weather it will probably last forever,
>> just leave it parked in the shade.
>>
>> Greg
>
> Can you get it in my size? :)
>
> Matt (I usually ride an 18" or so)

aw jeez, here we go...

cc
January 22nd 07, 07:57 PM
MattB wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
>> Scott Gordo wrote:

>>> After scanning LV's craigslist I'm thinking the same. I can lock it up
>>> somewhere and leave the keys at specified coordinates for anyone
>>> visiting Vegas who'd like to borrow it. Community clunker.
>>>

>> That's a great idea. With the dry weather it will probably last
>> forever, just leave it parked in the shade.
>>
>> Greg
>
> Can you get it in my size? :)
>
> Matt (I usually ride an 18" or so)

This could be really great. Every borrower could add something.

MattB
January 22nd 07, 08:45 PM
cc wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
>> G.T. wrote:

>>> That's a great idea. With the dry weather it will probably last
>>> forever, just leave it parked in the shade.
>>>
>>> Greg
>>

>> Can you get it in my size? :)
>>
>> Matt (I usually ride an 18" or so)
>

> This could be really great. Every borrower could add something.

And after a few years it will look like this:
http://www.designboom.com/snapshots/tokyobike/bike_images/low/02.jpg

Matt

cc
January 22nd 07, 08:52 PM
MattB wrote:
> cc wrote:
>> MattB wrote:

>>> Can you get it in my size? :)
>>>
>>> Matt (I usually ride an 18" or so)
>>

>> This could be really great. Every borrower could add something.
>
> And after a few years it will look like this:
> http://www.designboom.com/snapshots/tokyobike/bike_images/low/02.jpg
>
> Matt

not exactly what i had in mind. don't think i'd roll that.

cc
January 22nd 07, 08:53 PM
MattB wrote:
> cc wrote:
>> MattB wrote:

>>> Can you get it in my size? :)
>>>
>>> Matt (I usually ride an 18" or so)
>>

>> This could be really great. Every borrower could add something.
>
> And after a few years it will look like this:
> http://www.designboom.com/snapshots/tokyobike/bike_images/low/02.jpg
>
> Matt

it'd have to be improved in ways that those that appreciate bikes - and
wouldn't steal them - would recognize.

Scott Gordo
January 22nd 07, 08:57 PM
MattB wrote:
> cc wrote:
> > MattB wrote:

> >> Can you get it in my size? :)
> >>
> >> Matt (I usually ride an 18" or so)
> >

> > This could be really great. Every borrower could add something.
>
> And after a few years it will look like this:
> http://www.designboom.com/snapshots/tokyobike/bike_images/low/02.jpg
>
> Matt

Might want to temper those expectations. I'd imagine it'll look more
like this:

http://www.so-money.net/brokenbike/bbpics/Set300_01.jpg

/s

Scott Gordo
January 24th 07, 06:08 PM
On Jan 22, 3:52 pm, cc > wrote:
> MattB wrote:
> > cc wrote:

> >> This could be really great. Every borrower could add something.
>
> > And after a few years it will look like this:
> >http://www.designboom.com/snapshots/tokyobike/bike_images/low/02.jpg
>
> > Mattnot exactly what i had in mind. don't think i'd roll that.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Eureka! Thanks for providing inspiration for the bike's name: "The
Rubber Biscuit".

/s

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home