PDA

View Full Version : Re: Ultegra Short reach STI?

Sheldon Brown
July 20th 03, 01:27 AM
Scott Gates inquired:

> Does Shimano still make Ultegra short reach STI Levers? I can't find any
> info on them on the Shimano website. Does anyone know how much smaller these
> levers are? I'm trying to make shifting and braking easier for my short
> fingered wife. She is using Tiagra shifters now, and the LBS has installed a
> small rubber block that brings the levers in closer to the bar by taking up
> some of the brake throw,

That's basically how the ST-R600 brfters work.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers.html#brifters

> but the shifting throw still seems a bit long for
> her.

I don't think there's any difference in shifting throw, just brake reach.

> Any other ideas?

Angle the brifters a bit outward from one another.

Make sure the handlebar tape isn't too thick at the back of the
bar...sometimes folks use too much tape there, wrapping round in a figure 8.

There's also a Terry handlebar with a notch just below where the
brifters attach, to make more room for the thumb web.

Sheldon "Ergonomics" Brown
| If you don't like yourself, you _can't_ like other people |
| --Robert A. Heinlein |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Scott Gates
July 20th 03, 03:58 AM
Thank you Sheldon. I turned the brifters out some, we will see how that
works. I know you have been kidding around some about bar tape this week,
but I think you may be on to something there. She has 31.8 mm bars and the
"Specialized Bar Phat" which may be too much of a handful for her. I'll look
into the Terry bars. Thanks again. - Scott
"Sheldon Brown" > wrote in message
> Scott Gates inquired:
>
> > Does Shimano still make Ultegra short reach STI Levers? I can't find any
> > info on them on the Shimano website. Does anyone know how much smaller
these
> > levers are? I'm trying to make shifting and braking easier for my short
> > fingered wife. She is using Tiagra shifters now, and the LBS has
installed a
> > small rubber block that brings the levers in closer to the bar by taking
up
> > some of the brake throw,
>
> That's basically how the ST-R600 brfters work.
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers.html#brifters
>
> > but the shifting throw still seems a bit long for
> > her.
>
> I don't think there's any difference in shifting throw, just brake reach.
>
> > Any other ideas?
>
> Angle the brifters a bit outward from one another.
>
> Make sure the handlebar tape isn't too thick at the back of the
> bar...sometimes folks use too much tape there, wrapping round in a figure
8.

> There's also a Terry handlebar with a notch just below where the
> brifters attach, to make more room for the thumb web.
>
> Sheldon "Ergonomics" Brown
> +--------------------------------------------------------------+
> | If you don't like yourself, you _can't_ like other people |
> | --Robert A. Heinlein |
> Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
> Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
> http://harriscyclery.com
> Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
> http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com