PDA

View Full Version : Devinci Silverstone vs Giant OSR1 vs Specialized Allez Elite

Craig Newell
July 21st 03, 05:32 AM
Hey,

Looking to get rid of my mountain bike and get a road bike. I have
narrowed my search down to:

Devinci Silverstone
Giant OCR1
Specialized Allez Elite

They all have the same gruppos (full 105) except for the wheels. The
OCR1 is the only one with 105 hubs with Mavic CXP22 rims. The
Silverstone has a Gipiemme Techno 024 wheelset and the Allez has a
Alex ATX-330 wheelset. Unfortuanatly, I don't have any experience when
it comes to wheelsets, can't compare these. Any help?

They are all aluminum frames with carbon forks, AL seatposts and rear
triangles.

Anyone have any experience with these rides? Anything to look out for
on these bikes?

Thanks,
Craig

Lewdvig
July 29th 03, 04:54 AM
I have a couple of devinci's and they are very nice bikes. Made in Canada by
people who love building bikes.

"Andrew Morris" > wrote in message
> Hi Craig,
>
> I was looking at the Giant OCR1 versus the Allez Elite, and ended up on a
> TCR2, for a very similar price to the Allez Elite, for a bike that runs a
> FULL 105 groupset, and a built wheel, running a cup and cone bearing set,
> rather than a cartridge (Having been a contractor to SKF, there are some
> benefits to each, but the engineering guys recommended cup and cone)....
>
> I don't know much about the Devinci, but the best advice I can offer is to
> buy the bike that is the best ride....
>
> "Craig Newell" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hey,
> >
> > Looking to get rid of my mountain bike and get a road bike. I have
> > narrowed my search down to:
> >
> > Devinci Silverstone
> > Giant OCR1
> > Specialized Allez Elite
> >
> > They all have the same gruppos (full 105) except for the wheels. The
> > OCR1 is the only one with 105 hubs with Mavic CXP22 rims. The
> > Silverstone has a Gipiemme Techno 024 wheelset and the Allez has a
> > Alex ATX-330 wheelset. Unfortuanatly, I don't have any experience when
> > it comes to wheelsets, can't compare these. Any help?
> >
> > They are all aluminum frames with carbon forks, AL seatposts and rear
> > triangles.
> >
> > Anyone have any experience with these rides? Anything to look out for
> > on these bikes?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Craig

Lewdvig
July 29th 03, 04:58 AM
Some nice things I noticed with devinci:

MTB has braided steel cable housings - sweet!
MTB and Hybrid have kevlar bead tires
They always seem to have nice wheelsets
They use a proprietary alum tubeset that makes a very light frame
Very forgiving ride

"Andrew Morris" > wrote in message
> Hi Craig,
>
> I was looking at the Giant OCR1 versus the Allez Elite, and ended up on a
> TCR2, for a very similar price to the Allez Elite, for a bike that runs a
> FULL 105 groupset, and a built wheel, running a cup and cone bearing set,
> rather than a cartridge (Having been a contractor to SKF, there are some
> benefits to each, but the engineering guys recommended cup and cone)....
>
> I don't know much about the Devinci, but the best advice I can offer is to
> buy the bike that is the best ride....
>
> "Craig Newell" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hey,
> >
> > Looking to get rid of my mountain bike and get a road bike. I have
> > narrowed my search down to:
> >
> > Devinci Silverstone
> > Giant OCR1
> > Specialized Allez Elite
> >
> > They all have the same gruppos (full 105) except for the wheels. The
> > OCR1 is the only one with 105 hubs with Mavic CXP22 rims. The
> > Silverstone has a Gipiemme Techno 024 wheelset and the Allez has a
> > Alex ATX-330 wheelset. Unfortuanatly, I don't have any experience when
> > it comes to wheelsets, can't compare these. Any help?
> >
> > They are all aluminum frames with carbon forks, AL seatposts and rear
> > triangles.
> >
> > Anyone have any experience with these rides? Anything to look out for
> > on these bikes?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Craig

Paul Steckler
August 17th 03, 03:43 AM
"Lewdvig" > wrote in message >...
> They all have the same gruppos (full 105) except for the wheels. The
> OCR1 is the only one with 105 hubs with Mavic CXP22 rims. The
> Silverstone has a Gipiemme Techno 024 wheelset and the Allez has a
> Alex ATX-330 wheelset. Unfortuanatly, I don't have any experience when
> it comes to wheelsets, can't compare these. Any help?

I have a 2003 Allez Elite 27 (aluminum). I'm happy with it,
except that on a recent ride, part of the hub flange that holds the
spokes broke off. I thought it was a broken spoke at first.
I'm bringing the wheel back to my LBS -- I expect to get it
replaced under warranty.

-- Paul

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home