PDA

View Full Version : Help New Tyres

Kev
February 2nd 07, 09:32 PM
Hi,

I've made do with the tyres (Tioga Psycho II's) that came with my early to
mid 90's Diamond Back Ascent EX mountain bike (ok I admit it hasn't been
used as much as it could have). I'm getting my bike out again this year and
thought it could do with a new pair of tyres. I intend to use it mainly on
the road, occasionally off but mainly on hard packed ground. I was
considering a pair of slicks but someone at work suggested a multi purpose
tyre like Specialized Crossroads EX Tyres. What would you suggest for decent
replacements?

My current tyre size is 26 x 1.95", this may be a silly question but will
any 26" tyre fit or do I have to stick to the 1.95" part too?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Kev

Dawgwalker
February 3rd 07, 12:04 AM
You can put larger tires on. There is a limit based upon width of the chain
stays, but surely 2.0 or 2.1x26.
"Kev" (replacenumbersforletter s)> wrote in
message ...
> Hi,
>
> I've made do with the tyres (Tioga Psycho II's) that came with my early to
> mid 90's Diamond Back Ascent EX mountain bike (ok I admit it hasn't been
> used as much as it could have). I'm getting my bike out again this year
and
> thought it could do with a new pair of tyres. I intend to use it mainly
on
> the road, occasionally off but mainly on hard packed ground. I was
> considering a pair of slicks but someone at work suggested a multi purpose
> tyre like Specialized Crossroads EX Tyres. What would you suggest for
decent
> replacements?
>
> My current tyre size is 26 x 1.95", this may be a silly question but will
> any 26" tyre fit or do I have to stick to the 1.95" part too?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kev

Paladin
February 3rd 07, 01:10 AM
Kev (replacenumbersforletters) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've made do with the tyres (Tioga Psycho II's) that came with my early to
> mid 90's Diamond Back Ascent EX mountain bike (ok I admit it hasn't been
> used as much as it could have). I'm getting my bike out again this year and
> thought it could do with a new pair of tyres. I intend to use it mainly on
> the road, occasionally off but mainly on hard packed ground. I was
> considering a pair of slicks but someone at work suggested a multi purpose
> tyre like Specialized Crossroads EX Tyres. What would you suggest for decent
> replacements?
>
> My current tyre size is 26 x 1.95", this may be a silly question but will
> any 26" tyre fit or do I have to stick to the 1.95" part too?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kev

You might look at Kendas. They have good commuter tires that have a
little grab for when you go on dirt: http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/
comfort.html. I had an Ascent I'd used as an extra loaner before I
sold it to my buddy at work. Pretty decent bike.

CDB

Crazy Fred
February 3rd 07, 09:17 AM
On Feb 2, 4:32 pm, "Kev"
(replacenumbersforletter s)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've made do with the tyres (Tioga Psycho II's) that came with my early to
> mid 90's Diamond Back Ascent EX mountain bike (ok I admit it hasn't been
> used as much as it could have). I'm getting my bike out again this year and
> thought it could do with a new pair of tyres. I intend to use it mainly on
> the road, occasionally off but mainly on hard packed ground. I was
> considering a pair of slicks but someone at work suggested a multi purpose
> tyre like Specialized Crossroads EX Tyres. What would you suggest for decent
> replacements?
>
> My current tyre size is 26 x 1.95", this may be a silly question but will
> any 26" tyre fit or do I have to stick to the 1.95" part too?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kev

How did you get this far with those tires. I loved them on my old Trek
6000 in 97. But after a while the sidewalls were coming apart. I think
I **** canned them in 99. They never got a flat when they should have
after all those sharp things, rocks to pickers I rode on. Stay with in
195 to 200 size for reasons we say.Kenda make good tires but stay
clear of their Claws XT's.

Snortley
February 4th 07, 05:56 AM
You might also take a look at the Schwalbe Marathon Cross 26 x
1.75.

You got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.

- Yogi Berra

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home