PDA

View Full Version : Gratuitous stack?

scott
July 25th 03, 12:27 AM
Consider the following bicycle photo:

http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/ticrownjewel_p1.shtml

Why not flip the stem and skip the stack of spacers for the exact same
bar position and less weight and flex?

Ken
July 25th 03, 12:40 AM
scott > wrote in news:%XZTa.34455$Ma.7744299
@news1.telusplanet.net:
> http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/ticrownjewel_p1.shtml
>
> Why not flip the stem and skip the stack of spacers for the exact same
> bar position and less weight and flex?

The buyer (or shop) is always welcome to cut the steering tube down once they
figure out what handlebar height they want. Manufacturers are wise to leave
the tube tall to fit a wide range of buyers.

BTW - in this case, the stem appears to already be angled down, so flipping
it would *raise* the handlebar.

jim beam
July 25th 03, 01:04 AM
> BTW - in this case, the stem appears to already be angled down, so flipping
> it would *raise* the handlebar.

....thereby allowing you to cut off excess steering tube & spacers
bringing the bar back to original height. n'est pas?

Fred Clydesdale
July 25th 03, 02:07 AM
In article >,
scott > wrote:

> http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/ticrownjewel_p1.shtml

doesn't look excessive to me...but i'm sporting a gratuitous 5cm
myself. and what's worse is that i alternated black and silver
spacers, to even call MORE attention to it.

quick, somebody do the math: how many grams did it cost me?

phred

Eric Murray
July 25th 03, 02:10 AM
In article >,
scott > wrote:
>Consider the following bicycle photo:
>
>http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/ticrownjewel_p1.shtml
>
>Why not flip the stem and skip the stack of spacers for the exact same
>bar position and less weight and flex?

Some people think that a stem that points up says "fred"
and a stem that points down says "racer"... even
if its on a stack of spacers. Some frames even
have extra-long head tubes to allow one to use
a "racer" downward angled stem without the discomfort
of a real racer's low bar position.

Eric

Phil, Squid-in-Training
July 25th 03, 04:50 AM
> Some people think that a stem that points up says "fred"
> and a stem that points down says "racer"... even

Simply put, "dork" factor.

> if its on a stack of spacers. Some frames even
> have extra-long head tubes to allow one to use
> a "racer" downward angled stem without the discomfort
> of a real racer's low bar position.

How lame is that? I always thought that bikes with long head tubes and
thus, top tubes that weren't parallel with the ground, looked like circus
bikes and ridiculous anyways. The geometry that looks "correct" to most
people most of the time is a horizontal top tube, chainstays, and a short
headtube.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Werehatrack
July 25th 03, 05:36 AM
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:27:55 GMT, scott > may have
said:

>Consider the following bicycle photo:
>
>http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/ticrownjewel_p1.shtml
>
>Why not flip the stem and skip the stack of spacers for the exact same
>bar position and less weight and flex?

Perhaps they feel that leaving the tube length provides the purchaser
with more options.

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.

Rick Onanian
July 25th 03, 01:27 PM
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 02:36:30 GMT, KBH > wrote:
> BTW - does anyone know where I can get a 5 cm spacer? Right nwo I have 5
> 1cm spacers, and as they don't fit snug on the steerer, they don't line
> up all neatly. A 5 would be nice.

Nashbar offers a 2cm spacer in this kit:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=9672&storetype=&estoreid=

--
Rick Onanian

Shaun Rimmer
July 25th 03, 01:48 PM
Fred Clydesdale > wrote in message
> In article >,
> scott > wrote:
>
> > http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/ticrownjewel_p1.shtml
>
> doesn't look excessive to me...but i'm sporting a gratuitous 5cm
> myself. and what's worse is that i alternated black and silver
> spacers, to even call MORE attention to it.

Huh, that's _nothing_! I got about the same stack (mebbe bit more.....), but
I have alternated, black, silver, and blue ano! So, 'ner'!

> quick, somebody do the math: how many grams did it cost me?

A fortune, probably.

Shaun aRe - not counting grams in his 36lb world.

ajames54
July 25th 03, 03:03 PM
wrote:

>Consider the following bicycle photo:
>
>http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/ticrownjewel_p1.shtml
>
>Why not flip the stem and skip the stack of spacers for the exact same
>bar position and less weight and flex?

My road bike has a quill stem, I raise it at the begining of the
season and slowly lower it as I get more flexible... The only
Ahead-set bike I have still has over 2cm of spacers on top of
the stem. One of these days I may decide I wont need it and cut
it off but it is very difficult to add it back on if I decide I
need it.

It is all about giving the customer choice ... (and the fact that
these headsets were/are a stupid idea in the first place YMMV)

If you always remember to
Be true to your self ...
Believe in your dreams ...
And aim for the stars .......

You will still always get beaten by those who
Worked harder
Studied longer
And just weren't as damn lazy as you.

(paraphrase of Terry Pratchet from WFM)

Rick Warner
July 25th 03, 06:23 PM
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message >...
> > Some people think that a stem that points up says "fred"
> > and a stem that points down says "racer"... even
>
> Simply put, "dork" factor.

Yes, I think that is what the racer dude I smoked going uphill
thought this morning as I passed him with my upward pointed
Forgie stem and wearing Shimano sandals and sporting a commute
bag. He was at least 25 years my junior, also.

Some try to look the part, others just do. Better to be comfortable
and enjoy the ride than to look cool and tortured ;-)

- rick

Drew Eckhardt
July 25th 03, 06:38 PM
In article >,
scott > wrote:
>Consider the following bicycle photo:
>
>http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/ticrownjewel_p1.shtml
>
>Why not flip the stem and skip the stack of spacers for the exact same
>bar position and less weight and flex?

Even better, why not run a threaded headset with a longer stem that's at
a reasonable height, looks svelte, and as the appropriate classic 7-shape?
--
The Congress shall assemble at least once in every Year, and such Meeting
shall be on the first Monday in December, unless they shall by Law appoint a

DiabloScott
July 25th 03, 08:40 PM
Scott wrote:
> Consider the following bicycle photo:
> http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/ticrownjewel_p1.shtmlhttp://www.ifbikes.-
> com/frames2/ticrownjewel_p1.shtml
> Why not flip the stem and skip the stack of spacers for the exact same
> bar position and less weight and flex?

You could still flip the stem with all those spacers and bring the
handlebars up even higher! That photo is just an advertising shot -
they're not recommending anything.

--
Check out my bike blog!

http://diabloscott.blogspot.com

Chuck Davis
July 26th 03, 12:38 AM
"Rick Warner" > wrote in message
om...
> "Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message
> > > Some people think that a stem that points up says "fred"
> > > and a stem that points down says "racer"... even
> >
> > Simply put, "dork" factor.
>
> Yes, I think that is what the racer dude I smoked going uphill
> thought this morning as I passed him with my upward pointed
> Forgie stem and wearing Shimano sandals and sporting a commute
> bag. He was at least 25 years my junior, also.
>
> Some try to look the part, others just do. Better to be comfortable
> and enjoy the ride than to look cool and tortured ;-)
>
> - rick

Were you then passed by someone 20 years your senior on her recumbent? If
so, did she ring her bell? Just kidding.

Chuck Davis

Qui si parla Campagnolo
July 26th 03, 01:46 PM
somebody-<< Yes, I think that is what the racer dude I smoked going uphill
thought this morning as I passed him with my upward pointed
Forgie stem and wearing Shimano sandals and sporting a commute
bag. He was at least 25 years my junior, also. >><BR><BR>

When in San Diego, riding with my club, down thru Encinitas...5 rider paceline,
feeling like we were 'da ****', all club kitted out...passed by an old guy on a
MTB, with basket and dog on the back..

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

(Pete Cresswell)
July 27th 03, 02:36 AM
RE/
>When in San Diego, riding with my club, down thru Encinitas...5 rider paceline,
>feeling like we were 'da ****', all club kitted out...passed by an old guy on a
>MTB, with basket and dog on the back..

Long, long ago and far, far away, some guy rode with us that had set some kind
of record for San Francisco to Los Angeles. To us he was sort of a visiting
superstar.

He had the whole nine yards (for that time): cycling shoes, sewup tires, very
very light bike, chamois-lined shorts.....

I showed up with my Panasonic with 1 3/8 clinchers, flip-flops, an old pair of
shorts, luggage carrier and a huge Brooks saddlebag.

Stayed with the guy all the way from Honolulu out past Sandy Beach and back.

He was duly impressed, saying that he was setting a pace to "keep us honest",
but said he practically fell over when I pulled out the half-gallon glass jug
full of water from my saddlebag and started chugging on it.

Actually, he practically killed me on that ride....but the glass jug was a nice
touch....and it worked...
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

Ryan Cousineau
July 27th 03, 04:15 PM
In article >,
"(Pete Cresswell)" > wrote:

> RE/
> >When in San Diego, riding with my club, down thru Encinitas...5 rider
> >paceline,
> >feeling like we were 'da ****', all club kitted out...passed by an old guy
> >on a
> >MTB, with basket and dog on the back..

> Stayed with the guy all the way from Honolulu out past Sandy Beach and back.
>
> He was duly impressed, saying that he was setting a pace to "keep us honest",
> but said he practically fell over when I pulled out the half-gallon glass jug
> full of water from my saddlebag and started chugging on it.
>
> Actually, he practically killed me on that ride....but the glass jug was a
> nice
> touch....and it worked...
> -----------------------
> PeteCresswell

I just added a bell to my commuter/racing Pinarello. This really annoys
the guys I ride with on Saturdays :).

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

Robin Hubert
July 27th 03, 06:07 PM
"ari" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Rick Onanian" > wrote in message
> > On 25 Jul 2003 10:23:32 -0700, Rick Warner >
> > wrote:
> > > Yes, I think that is what the racer dude I smoked going uphill
> > > thought this morning as I passed him with my upward pointed Forgie
stem
> > > and wearing Shimano sandals and sporting a commute
> > > bag. He was at least 25 years my junior, also.
> >
> > Hmm...a sandal-wearing, upward-stem Rick? We must be related...
> >
> > > Some try to look the part, others just do. Better to be comfortable
> > > and enjoy the ride than to look cool and tortured ;-)
>
> Why do people get off on passing other riders when the speed someone rides
> at is usually a matter of context (end of a long ride? first mile? heart
> rate monitor training?). Can't ride with my heart rate pegged for the
> duration of my ride just to keep old balding farts from feeling good about
> themselves :)
>
> reminds me of those kids on a bike path who race you on their bike, then
> turn around and go back to the picnic table their family is at.
>
> > Amen, brother!

I just smoked some kid whom wanted to race me on an electric scooter the
other day!
Actually, I was ****ed he was out on the street with it.

--
Robin Hubert >

Phil, Squid-in-Training
July 28th 03, 05:28 AM
> I just smoked some kid whom wanted to race me on an electric scooter the
> other day!
> Actually, I was ****ed he was out on the street with it.

Ugh. I've been trying to find some way to screw up scooter riders. Can't
just throw something in the spokes...

Gas scooter riders are the worst. 2-stroke motors, plus they're noisy as
f00k.

It's "who wanted to race" by the way.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Rick Warner
July 28th 03, 02:16 PM
"ari" > wrote in message >...

> Why do people get off on passing other riders when the speed someone rides
> at is usually a matter of context (end of a long ride? first mile? heart
> rate monitor training?).

And knowing if we 'got off' on passing someone you would have to know
our context ;-) Personally, I rarely 'get off' on passing someone unless
they've done something stupid first to **** me off. Last fall a couple of
young ladies I ride with got into having me chase down and pass
the young racers that passed us on hill climbs *if* the racers had
done something to **** them off; the 'getting off by proxy' phenomenon.

> Can't ride with my heart rate pegged for the
> duration of my ride just to keep old balding farts from feeling good about
> themselves :)

Hey, I have all my hair, and it is thick :-) Not that there is anything
wrong with balding ;-)

- rick

Qui si parla Campagnolo
July 29th 03, 02:23 PM
Phil-<< Gas scooter riders are the worst. 2-stroke motors, plus they're noisy
as
f00k. >><BR><BR>

Getting to be a real problem here..under 50cc, no need for a license plate so
can't even call the fuzz when one 'occupies' the bike lane...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302