PDA

View Full Version : Didn't this NG used to be about mountain biking? (Surly follow-up)

Gman
February 11th 07, 10:31 PM
G wrote:
> I actually wanted to talk about a bike...my Surly 1x1. After
> much contemplation, I have decided it's too big. Yes, I
> know it's hard to believe, but at 6'5", I actually _do_ want
> a smaller frame on the SS. The XL just doesn't give me the
> ability to get around on the bike as much as I desire with a
> rigid SS.
>
> However, I don't think I'll buy a new Surly frame retail for
> ~$400, because, well...I'm cheap, and it's Winter. I got
> plenty of snowboarding time to reload SS's. I'm keeping my
> eye out for a bargain, and that includes even swapping back
> to an SS conversion (maybe an old steel Specialized again).

Well I _thought_ I had plenty of snowboarding time to look
around, but it looks like Winter has just given up on us
here in mid-Feb. It's 50 degrees right now, and it's been
that way for 2-weeks. Looked good last night, 34 up top,
snowing and temp dropping, but when we got up this am, 38
and raining up there. Ugh.

Regardless, I think I might have found what I'm looking for.
Just picked up a classic:
http://geeman.freeshell.org/pix/BridgestoneMB5_sm.JPG

It's clearly a 1993 thanks to the wealth of information on
Sheldon Brown's site:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/1993/index.htm

A bit smaller than the Surly and despite the vintage, it
hasn't been abused. I plan to utilize much of the existing
componentry for an SS build (wheels are straight, the
old-school V's even have a nice feel to them). I would have
liked the MB-1 with the lighter frame, but hey, less flex!
:-)

It will be a while, because I got 350 projects going at the
moment, but we've got something to work with.

CDB, isn't the Grey Lady a Bridgestone? Brothers unite!

G "back to the classics"

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home