PDA

View Full Version : cheapest bike computer for non-bike project please...

jt
July 26th 03, 12:35 PM
Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have
converted bike speedo's working.

What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy
stuff. It has to have a programmable wheel size, preferably in small
increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix to the headstock spindle -
no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.

And of course, cheaper is better. Localy the cheapest I've found is about
$25.

And while price is mentioned, the local boutique bike store has a Shimano
XTR Crankset and Bottom Bracket for sale for $719 before the 15% tax.
Wonder what the total profit margin is on that item...

Paul K. Dickman
July 26th 03, 01:27 PM
Here, try this.

http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?subcategory=1035&category=82&browse=&stor
etype=&estoreid=&brand=&searchbox=&start=1&orderby=price1

It is also nice to have the speedo read to tenths of a klik.

Paul K. Dickman

jt wrote in message ...
>Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have
>converted bike speedo's working.
>
>What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy
>stuff. It has to have a programmable wheel size, preferably in small
>increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix to the headstock
spindle -
>no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.
>
>And of course, cheaper is better. Localy the cheapest I've found is about
>$25.
>
>And while price is mentioned, the local boutique bike store has a Shimano
>XTR Crankset and Bottom Bracket for sale for $719 before the 15% tax.
>Wonder what the total profit margin is on that item...

Bob Engelhardt
July 26th 03, 02:22 PM
jt wrote:
> What I need is just a speedo, ... cheaper is better. ...

$13.95:

http://www.cccyclery.com/sigmasp.html

Werehatrack
July 26th 03, 02:25 PM
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:35:45 -0300, "jt"
> may have said:

>Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have
>converted bike speedo's working.
>
>What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy
>stuff. It has to have a programmable wheel size, preferably in small
>increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix to the headstock spindle -
>no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.
>
>And of course, cheaper is better. Localy the cheapest I've found is about
>$25.

Locally, the bottom-of-the-line GT speedo (which meets your specs
pretty well, though it has a few bells & whistles) is available under
$15 at Academy stores. Try Wal-Mart; they may have an analog.

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.

Doug Milliken
July 26th 03, 04:09 PM
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, jt wrote:

> Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have
> converted bike speedo's working.
>
> What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy
> stuff. It has to have a programmable wheel size, preferably in small
> increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix to the headstock spindle -
> no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.

Years ago we had problems finding a speedo that would read above 1000 rpm
(1000 reed-switch triggers/minute). The cheap ones would stop working
below that... maybe things are better now? Has anyone done this max-speed
comparison recently?

We needed it for an hpv with small wheels (17" OD) where 50 mph was about
1000 rpm.

cashrefundman
July 26th 03, 06:08 PM
jt wrote:
> Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have
> converted bike speedo's working.
>
> What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy
> stuff. It has to have a programmable wheel size, preferably in small
> increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix to the headstock spindle -
> no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.
>
> And of course, cheaper is better. Localy the cheapest I've found is about
> $25.

Got a "Hot Wheels" branded bike computer at Wal-Mart for about $10.
Still working great after 800Km, many in pouring rain.

CRM

> And while price is mentioned, the local boutique bike store has a Shimano
> XTR Crankset and Bottom Bracket for sale for $719 before the 15% tax.
> Wonder what the total profit margin is on that item...

Phil, Squid-in-Training
July 26th 03, 06:22 PM
"Doug Milliken" > wrote in message

> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, jt wrote:
>
> > Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have
> > converted bike speedo's working.
> >
> > What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy
> > stuff. It has to have a programmable wheel size, preferably in small
> > increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix to the headstock
spindle -
> > no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.
>
> Years ago we had problems finding a speedo that would read above 1000 rpm
> (1000 reed-switch triggers/minute). The cheap ones would stop working
> below that... maybe things are better now? Has anyone done this
max-speed
> comparison recently?
>
> We needed it for an hpv with small wheels (17" OD) where 50 mph was about
> 1000 rpm.

My Sigma Targa Sport calculated that I once went 400.8 mph on my 700c road
bike. This is something like 5000 rpm. A bit above 1000 rpm, you may want
to try it.

Actually I have it for sale. It's semi-busted... the cable broke off the
mount and I've soldered it back 4 times. Computer itself is flawless...
really the mount is all that's needed.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Doug Milliken
July 26th 03, 07:35 PM
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

> "Doug Milliken" > wrote in message
> > Years ago we had problems finding a speedo that would read above 1000 rpm
> > (1000 reed-switch triggers/minute). The cheap ones would stop working
> > below that... maybe things are better now? Has anyone done this max-speed
> > comparison recently?
> >
> > We needed it for an hpv with small wheels (17" OD) where 50 mph was about
> > 1000 rpm.
>
> My Sigma Targa Sport calculated that I once went 400.8 mph on my 700c road
> bike. This is something like 5000 rpm. A bit above 1000 rpm, you may want
> to try it.

Yes, that was the failure mode back then too -- erratic/nonsense readings.
We used an industrial tachometer (with reflective spot on tire) as a reference.

Ron Thompson
July 26th 03, 09:03 PM
I paid less than $10 including shipping. Here is the auction:
http://snurl.com/1w5s

--

Ron Thompson
On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast

http://www.plansandprojects.com

Where did everyone go? Oh, yeah.
Y'all come, ya hear?
*******
"jt" > wrote in message
> Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have
> converted bike speedo's working.
>
> What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy
> stuff. It has to have a programmable wheel size, preferably in small
> increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix to the headstock
spindle -
> no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.
>
> And of course, cheaper is better. Localy the cheapest I've found is about
> $25.
>
> And while price is mentioned, the local boutique bike store has a Shimano
> XTR Crankset and Bottom Bracket for sale for $719 before the 15% tax.
> Wonder what the total profit margin is on that item...

Joe Riel
July 26th 03, 09:13 PM
Avocets don't use reed switches, maybe they'd be a good choice.
It might be possible to remove every other magnet from the ring
that goes on the wheel (speculation) to lower the max frequency.

Joe Riel

Chris Zacho The Wheelman
July 26th 03, 09:14 PM
All of the electronic cyclometers have wheel size settings, as fior the
simplest and cheapest, try Wally World (Wal-Mart).

I don't know how you intend to attach the magnet to the headstock, sust
be sure it will stay attached at higher RPM's!

May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!
Chris

Chris'Z Corner
"The Website for the Common Bicyclist":
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

James Messick
July 27th 03, 01:19 AM
I can't imagine this will result in anything good.

Werehatrack
July 27th 03, 02:35 AM
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:14:34 -0400 (EDT),
(Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") may have said:

>All of the electronic cyclometers have wheel size settings, as fior the
>simplest and cheapest, try Wally World (Wal-Mart).
>
>I don't know how you intend to attach the magnet to the headstock, sust
>be sure it will stay attached at higher RPM's!

NeFeBo magnets on a flat surface will stay on a 6" headstock at 1500
rpm easily. Them suckers are *strong*.

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
it's also possible that I'm busy.

David A. Frantz
July 27th 03, 02:52 AM
I'm wondering where you live that you pay a 15% tax.

As far as the tachometer goes try e-bay or a mail order firm.

While I can see how this would work, I'm surprised that these things can be
programmed to read in RPM. Your not using these to read in MPH are you?
That would seem to be a lot of work.

Having just installed a speedo on my mountain bike this year, all I have
to say is good luck.

Thanks
Dave

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:35:45 -0300, jt wrote:

> Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have
> converted bike speedo's working.
>
> What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy
> stuff. It has to have a programmable wheel size, preferably in small
> increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix to the headstock
> spindle - no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.
>
> And of course, cheaper is better. Localy the cheapest I've found is
> about $25.
>
> And while price is mentioned, the local boutique bike store has a
> Shimano XTR Crankset and Bottom Bracket for sale for $719 before the 15%
> tax. Wonder what the total profit margin is on that item...

Ron Thompson
July 27th 03, 04:12 AM
http://www.plansandprojects.com/images/Readout%20showing%20104FPM.jpg

http://www.plansandprojects.com/images/Magnet%20and%20sensor%20mounting.jpg

This shows one used to readout in SFM. They can also be set up to read out
in rpm.
This guy mounted his with tape, so how hard can it be?
These pictures are on the Sherline yahoo group. I don't remember the guy's
name but you can follow up there if you want.
--

"David A. Frantz" > wrote in message
> I'm wondering where you live that you pay a 15% tax.
>
> As far as the tachometer goes try e-bay or a mail order firm.
>
> While I can see how this would work, I'm surprised that these things can
be
> programmed to read in RPM. Your not using these to read in MPH are you?
> That would seem to be a lot of work.
>
> Having just installed a speedo on my mountain bike this year, all I have
> to say is good luck.
>
> Thanks
> Dave
>

> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:35:45 -0300, jt wrote:
>
> > Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have
> > converted bike speedo's working.
> >
> > What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy
> > stuff. It has to have a programmable wheel size, preferably in small
> > increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix to the headstock
> > spindle - no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.
> >
> > And of course, cheaper is better. Localy the cheapest I've found is
> > about $25.
> >
> > And while price is mentioned, the local boutique bike store has a
> > Shimano XTR Crankset and Bottom Bracket for sale for $719 before the 15%
> > tax. Wonder what the total profit margin is on that item...

> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

jesus
July 27th 03, 05:38 PM
>While I can see how this would work, I'm surprised that these things can be
>programmed to read in RPM. Your not using these to read in MPH are you?
> That would seem to be a lot of work.

its easy.. just a little bit of math when programming the wheel size..

--
It's so creepy. A vacation should be sitting in bed eating chips and dips,
watching TV, and being massaged and blown by a robot - that's a vacation.

Steve Rayner
July 28th 03, 01:27 AM
Well, in British Columbia we pay 14% on most purchases! One half is
provincial sales tax, and the other is the federal Goods and Services tax
( a value added tax).

Steve Rayner.

"David A. Frantz" > wrote in message
> I'm wondering where you live that you pay a 15% tax.
>
> As far as the tachometer goes try e-bay or a mail order firm.
>
> While I can see how this would work, I'm surprised that these things can
be
> programmed to read in RPM. Your not using these to read in MPH are you?
> That would seem to be a lot of work.
>
> Having just installed a speedo on my mountain bike this year, all I have
> to say is good luck.
>
> Thanks
> Dave
>

> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:35:45 -0300, jt wrote:
>
> > Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have
> > converted bike speedo's working.
> >
> > What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy
> > stuff. It has to have a programmable wheel size, preferably in small
> > increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix to the headstock
> > spindle - no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.
> >
> > And of course, cheaper is better. Localy the cheapest I've found is
> > about $25.
> >
> > And while price is mentioned, the local boutique bike store has a
> > Shimano XTR Crankset and Bottom Bracket for sale for $719 before the 15%
> > tax. Wonder what the total profit margin is on that item...

> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Shaun Rimmer
July 28th 03, 12:42 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training > wrote in message
m...

> My Sigma Targa Sport calculated that I once went 400.8 mph on my 700c road
> bike. This is something like 5000 rpm. A bit above 1000 rpm, you may
want
> to try it.

I have one and can verify - had some dried dog turd on my front tyre, and
while the powerwasher was out (cleaning a driveway) I hit the tyre with the
spray from that........talk about spin! Well anyhoo, the 'pooter had no
probs reading it - something like 500 or so (26" MTB).

> Actually I have it for sale. It's semi-busted... the cable broke off the
> mount and I've soldered it back 4 times. Computer itself is flawless...
> really the mount is all that's needed.

Yeah, good 'pooter, mounts suck grandpa farts.

Shaun aRe - on his second sigma mount (hey, onlycost me £2 for the
replacement though....).

Shaun Rimmer
July 28th 03, 12:45 PM
Werehatrack > wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:14:34 -0400 (EDT),
> (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") may have said:
>
> >All of the electronic cyclometers have wheel size settings, as fior the
> >simplest and cheapest, try Wally World (Wal-Mart).
> >
> >I don't know how you intend to attach the magnet to the headstock, sust
> >be sure it will stay attached at higher RPM's!
>
> NeFeBo magnets on a flat surface will stay on a 6" headstock at 1500
> rpm easily. Them suckers are *strong*.

Hell yes they are! I'd still stick it on with something though...........

Shaun aRe - I use 3 in a stack, wrapped with a bit of inner-tube and held
with 2 zip ties to the spokes as a trigger magnet (stock ones
suck/blow/generally practically undesirable).

Phil, Squid-in-Training
July 29th 03, 02:25 AM
> > Actually I have it for sale. It's semi-busted... the cable broke off
the
> > mount and I've soldered it back 4 times. Computer itself is flawless...
> > really the mount is all that's needed.
>
> Yeah, good 'pooter, mounts suck grandpa farts.

I broke it due to my riding in a venerable jungle, with vines hanging from
the trees. My barend caught it and threw me like that 10-year-old girl
threw Armstrong a couple days ago.

> Shaun aRe - on his second sigma mount (hey, onlycost me £2 for the
> replacement though....).

And where might I be able to find one of these? LBS (w/discount)? Every
place I've looked at wants as much as a new computer.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home