PDA

View Full Version : Dura-ace downtube shifters and Ultegra rear mech

jon
July 26th 03, 10:58 PM
I've just bought myself a new Ultegra rear mech and a pair of braze-on
dura-ace shifting levers (downtube) ....ok call me old fashioned.....I
noticed though that they say these shifters should only be used with
Dura-ace rear mechs......Has anyone treid to use these levers with any
other mech and if so what problems did you encounter...if any??
Cheers,

Jon.

jon
July 27th 03, 12:13 PM
Thanks ppl!
Thats gr8 news!....I have brazed-on sockets on my frame so I need
to stick with the downtube shifters..... and I'm an old stick in the
mud ...lol :o)
Thanks for the replies..
Jon.

Qui si parla Campagnolo
July 27th 03, 02:24 PM
william-<< I've just bought myself a new Ultegra rear mech and a pair of
braze-on
dura-ace shifting levers (downtube) ....ok call me old fashioned.....I
noticed though that they say these shifters should only be used with
Dura-ace rear mechs.. >><BR><BR>

If 8s DA shifters, route the inner wire on top of the fixing bolt of the rear
der for 8s spaced shifting. If 9s shifters, use any rear der except DA 8s...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Ryan Cousineau
July 27th 03, 04:20 PM
In article >,
(jon) wrote:

> Thanks ppl!
> Thats gr8 news!....I have brazed-on sockets on my frame so I need
> to stick with the downtube shifters..... and I'm an old stick in the
> mud ...lol :o)
> Thanks for the replies..
> Jon.

If you mean brazed-on mounts for shifters, you are still not stuck
unless you want to stay stuck. There is a widely available set of
bolt-on adjustable cable stops available for those brazed mounts. I used
a set to upgrade my Pinarello to STI.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

Sheldon Brown
July 27th 03, 07:04 PM
jon wrote:
> Thanks ppl!
> Thats gr8 news!....I have brazed-on sockets on my frame so I need
> to stick with the downtube shifters...

Nope. All handlebar-mounted shifters intended for drop bar use come
with cable stops that attach to those braze-ons.

Sheldon "Better On The Bars" Brown
| Some of my mother's paintings may be seen at: |
| http://sheldonbrown.com/joyce |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide