PDA

View Full Version : Avocet 50 cyclometer - automatic power off

David Bertenshaw
July 27th 03, 04:08 PM
I've just started riding again after four or five years. My Avocet 50
needed new batteries of course - but when I'd fitted them and set the
machine up (following the pdf manual from the avocet site), the
display stayed on permanently and the batteries wore down after 2
weeks - not surprisingly, I suppose...

I'm sure there was an automatic power-off function last time I used it
;-) Or have I misremembered (again)? And if so, why did the batteries
run down so quickly?

Thanks

David

Alex Rodriguez
July 28th 03, 10:35 PM
In article >,
says...

>I've just started riding again after four or five years. My Avocet 50
>needed new batteries of course - but when I'd fitted them and set the
>machine up (following the pdf manual from the avocet site), the
>display stayed on permanently and the batteries wore down after 2
>weeks - not surprisingly, I suppose...
>
>I'm sure there was an automatic power-off function last time I used it
>;-) Or have I misremembered (again)? And if so, why did the batteries
>run down so quickly?

There is a trick you are supposed to do to get the batteries to last longer.
Something about the sequence of installing the new batteries. It is in the
instruction manual. I don't have mine with me, or I would quote the procedure
for you.
-----------------
Alex __O
_-\<,_
(_)/ (_)

David Bertenshaw
July 28th 03, 10:51 PM
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:35:02 -0400, Alex Rodriguez >
wrote:

>There is a trick you are supposed to do to get the batteries to last longer.
>Something about the sequence of installing the new batteries. It is in the
>instruction manual. I don't have mine with me, or I would quote the procedure
>for you.

Thanks - I think I've found it on the net now. I'll try it out...

David.

Bill
July 29th 03, 12:22 AM
"David Bertenshaw" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:35:02 -0400, Alex Rodriguez >
> wrote:
>

> >There is a trick you are supposed to do to get the batteries to last
longer.
> >Something about the sequence of installing the new batteries. It is in
the
> >instruction manual. I don't have mine with me, or I would quote the
procedure
> >for you.
>
> Thanks - I think I've found it on the net now. I'll try it out...
>
> David.

I have an Avocet 50 that I've used for about 10 years. The batteries are
usually good for just over a year. Cumulative elevation gain starts to get
bizarre when the batteries are just about shot. There is no auto-off/sleep
mode. Is it possible that you used the wrong or very old batteries?
Tell us what the "Trick" is when you find it. Sure didn't jump out me
looking at the manual online. http://www.avocet.com/instrpdfs/50Eng.pdf
Bill

David Bertenshaw
July 29th 03, 07:31 PM
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 23:22:37 GMT, "Bill"
> wrote:

>I have an Avocet 50 that I've used for about 10 years. The batteries are
>usually good for just over a year. Cumulative elevation gain starts to get
>bizarre when the batteries are just about shot. There is no auto-off/sleep
>mode. Is it possible that you used the wrong or very old batteries?
>Tell us what the "Trick" is when you find it. Sure didn't jump out me
>looking at the manual online. http://www.avocet.com/instrpdfs/50Eng.pdf
>Bill

Haven't got the batteries yet, Bill, so I don't know whether it's a
good 'trick' or not...;-) But when I do, I'm going to try the
following (from Sheldon Brown's website (which is pretty damn
interesting all round - thanks Mr B....). :

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cyclecom_calibration_proc.html#avocet50

====================
Battery: two 386 silver oxide 1.5 volt.

When installing batteries in the Cyclometer 50 use this special double
insert procedure:
Insert both batteries.
Remove one battery and leave it out for 15 seconds.
Reinsert the battery you removed. The unit will then go into
calibration mode.
====================

cheers

David

Bill
July 29th 03, 10:04 PM
"David Bertenshaw" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 23:22:37 GMT, "Bill"
> Haven't got the batteries yet, Bill, so I don't know whether it's a
> good 'trick' or not...;-) But when I do, I'm going to try the
> following (from Sheldon Brown's website (which is pretty damn
> interesting all round - thanks Mr B....). :
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cyclecom_calibration_proc.html#avocet50
>
> ====================
> Battery: two 386 silver oxide 1.5 volt.
>
> When installing batteries in the Cyclometer 50 use this special double
> insert procedure:
> Insert both batteries.
> Remove one battery and leave it out for 15 seconds.
> Reinsert the battery you removed. The unit will then go into
> calibration mode.
> ====================
>
> cheers
>
> David

That will reset the 50 to defaults but I can't imagine that it will have an
effect on battery life. I have always just pulled out both batteries and
stuck in the new ones at replacement time. It wakes up stupid. Program
settings and go. One interesting note. You can change between mph and kph on
a ride without loosing current ride data. Hold down both buttons long enough
to get to the settings sequence, toggle through, make changes and continue
with current ride info maintained and changed to new format. Occasionally
useful for some of us kilometer confused when riding in Europe.
Bill

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home