PDA

View Full Version : BR: Stone Old Guardian Barleywine

JD
February 17th 07, 07:32 AM
Since it's the season of the barleywines out in the WARM West, I've
been sampling a few of the regulars and a few of the not so regulars.
Bigfoot by Sierra Nevada is ok. Foghorn from our friends at Anchor is
pretty good. Old Guardian from the genuises at Stone kicks ass. It's
so smooth, the only way you can tell it's 11.26% is the mellow glow it
applies, starting about halfway through a bomber.

JD

G.T.
February 17th 07, 07:52 AM
JD wrote:
> Since it's the season of the barleywines out in the WARM West, I've
> been sampling a few of the regulars and a few of the not so regulars.
> Bigfoot by Sierra Nevada is ok. Foghorn from our friends at Anchor is
> pretty good. Old Guardian from the genuises at Stone kicks ass. It's
> so smooth, the only way you can tell it's 11.26% is the mellow glow it
> applies, starting about halfway through a bomber.

My first bottle sure tasted good, I have a feeling it was because of the
"I am very bitter and I like it!" pint glass I drank it from. I'm going
to give myself a little more time to enjoy the next one because 1 pt 6
fl oz of 11.26% gets me pretty f'ed up:

http://www.stonebrew.com/og/2007/design.html

Greg
--
The ticket******* Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

GeeDubb
February 17th 07, 10:56 PM
"G.T." > wrote in message
> JD wrote:
>> Since it's the season of the barleywines out in the WARM West, I've
>> been sampling a few of the regulars and a few of the not so regulars.
>> Bigfoot by Sierra Nevada is ok. Foghorn from our friends at Anchor is
>> pretty good. Old Guardian from the genuises at Stone kicks ass. It's
>> so smooth, the only way you can tell it's 11.26% is the mellow glow it
>> applies, starting about halfway through a bomber.
>>

> My first bottle sure tasted good, I have a feeling it was because of the
> "I am very bitter and I like it!" pint glass I drank it from. I'm going
> to give myself a little more time to enjoy the next one because 1 pt 6 fl
> oz of 11.26% gets me pretty f'ed up:
>
> http://www.stonebrew.com/og/2007/design.html
>
> Greg
> --
> The ticket******* Tax Tracker:
> http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

at last week's trail work I brought about six different Stone brews.
Everybody's favorite was the 10th anniversary IPA out of AB, DB, OAB, IPA
and PA. I sure hated to share that 10th but it was all about the trail....

Now to see if Magnum's has the OG

oooohhhhhhh donut (QHS)

Gary

JD
February 18th 07, 05:53 AM
On Feb 17, 2:56 pm, "GeeDubb" > wrote:
> "G.T." > wrote in message

> > JD wrote:
> >> Since it's the season of the barleywines out in the WARM West, I've
> >> been sampling a few of the regulars and a few of the not so regulars.
> >> Bigfoot by Sierra Nevada is ok. Foghorn from our friends at Anchor is
> >> pretty good. Old Guardian from the genuises at Stone kicks ass. It's
> >> so smooth, the only way you can tell it's 11.26% is the mellow glow it
> >> applies, starting about halfway through a bomber.
>
> > My first bottle sure tasted good, I have a feeling it was because of the
> > "I am very bitter and I like it!" pint glass I drank it from. I'm going
> > to give myself a little more time to enjoy the next one because 1 pt 6 fl
> > oz of 11.26% gets me pretty f'ed up:
>
> >http://www.stonebrew.com/og/2007/design.html
>
> > Greg
> > --
> > The ticket******* Tax Tracker:
> >http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html
>
> at last week's trail work I brought about six different Stone brews.
> Everybody's favorite was the 10th anniversary IPA out of AB, DB, OAB, IPA
> and PA. I sure hated to share that 10th but it was all about the trail....
>
> Now to see if Magnum's has the OG
>
> oooohhhhhhh donut (QHS)
>
> Gary

It's nice to see the wealth being shared.

JD

bruno
February 18th 07, 12:24 PM
i dig da stone too. but i really like the bigfoot a little better. 's
all good though. i really like to drink. and ride bikes. and vice
versa.

GeeDubb
February 18th 07, 02:19 PM
"JD" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Feb 17, 2:56 pm, "GeeDubb" > wrote:

>> > My first bottle sure tasted good, I have a feeling it was because of
>> > the
>> > "I am very bitter and I like it!" pint glass I drank it from. I'm
>> > going
>> > to give myself a little more time to enjoy the next one because 1 pt 6
>> > fl
>> > oz of 11.26% gets me pretty f'ed up:
>>
>> >http://www.stonebrew.com/og/2007/design.html
>>
>> > Greg
>> > --
>> > The ticket******* Tax Tracker:
>> >http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html
>>
>> at last week's trail work I brought about six different Stone brews.
>> Everybody's favorite was the 10th anniversary IPA out of AB, DB, OAB, IPA
>> and PA. I sure hated to share that 10th but it was all about the
>> trail....
>>
>> Now to see if Magnum's has the OG
>>
>> oooohhhhhhh donut (QHS)
>>
>> Gary
>

> It's nice to see the wealth being shared.
>
> JD

I picked up 4 bottles of OG last night (cha ching....) and had one with my
grilled pork, sour dough and taters. What a smooth beer. You were spot on
with the "mellow glow" half way through. I think I was sh*t faced by the
last drop and passed out in my chair only moments later.

Life is good.

Gary

daddy
February 18th 07, 08:07 PM

>>> at last week's trail work I brought about six different Stone brews.
>>> Everybody's favorite was the 10th anniversary IPA out of AB, DB, OAB, IPA
>>> and PA. I sure hated to share that 10th but it was all about the
>>> trail....
>>>
>>> Now to see if Magnum's has the OG
>>>
>>> oooohhhhhhh donut (QHS)
>>>
>>> Gary
>>

>> It's nice to see the wealth being shared.
>>
>> JD
>>

> I picked up 4 bottles of OG last night (cha ching....) and had one with my
> grilled pork, sour dough and taters. What a smooth beer. You were spot on
> with the "mellow glow" half way through. I think I was sh*t faced by the
> last drop and passed out in my chair only moments later.
>
> Life is good.
>
> Gary

Hey, you guys are on to something. I'm gonna have to check this
sh*t out...

-Gregg

GeeDubb
February 19th 07, 04:27 PM
"daddy" > wrote in message

>>> It's nice to see the wealth being shared.
>>>
>>> JD
>>>

>> I picked up 4 bottles of OG last night (cha ching....) and had one with
>> my
>> grilled pork, sour dough and taters. What a smooth beer. You were spot
>> on
>> with the "mellow glow" half way through. I think I was sh*t faced by the
>> last drop and passed out in my chair only moments later.
>>
>> Life is good.
>>
>> Gary
>
> Hey, you guys are on to something. I'm gonna have to check this
> sh*t out...
>
> -Gregg

Stone is tough to find in Phoenix in quantity. Places like AJ's or Trader
Joe's carries limited samplings but I did manage to find a higher end liquor
(and, unfortunately...smoke) shop that carries the available selections.
I've also had difficulty finding Stone in 12 oz. bottles so once a growler's
been opened it has to be consumed and at 11.26% alcohol.........

If you have difficulty finding you can always visit their website
www.stonebrew.com and contact their local area rep for retail centers.

Gary (best US beer yet)

G.T.
February 19th 07, 08:25 PM
GeeDubb wrote:

>>> I picked up 4 bottles of OG last night (cha ching....) and had one
>>> with my
>>> grilled pork, sour dough and taters. What a smooth beer. You were
>>> spot on
>>> with the "mellow glow" half way through. I think I was sh*t faced by
>>> the
>>> last drop and passed out in my chair only moments later.
>>>
>>> Life is good.
>>>
>>> Gary
>>
>> Hey, you guys are on to something. I'm gonna have to check this
>> sh*t out...
>>
>> -Gregg
>>
> Stone is tough to find in Phoenix in quantity. Places like AJ's or
> Trader Joe's carries limited samplings but I did manage to find a higher
> end liquor (and, unfortunately...smoke) shop that carries the available
> selections. I've also had difficulty finding Stone in 12 oz. bottles so
> once a growler's been opened it has to be consumed and at 11.26%
> alcohol.........

Yep, that seems to be my problem. Kimberly doesn't like good beer so I
have to drink it all myself. Actually, I can usually find 2 or 3 styles
of Stone in 12 oz bottles but they're not the ones I like.

Greg
--
The ticket******* Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Scott Gordo
February 20th 07, 09:17 PM
On Feb 17, 2:52 am, "G.T." > wrote:
> JD wrote:
> > Since it's the season of the barleywines out in the WARM West, I've
> > been sampling a few of the regulars and a few of the not so regulars.
> > Bigfoot by Sierra Nevada is ok. Foghorn from our friends at Anchor is
> > pretty good. Old Guardian from the genuises at Stone kicks ass. It's
> > so smooth, the only way you can tell it's 11.26% is the mellow glow it
> > applies, starting about halfway through a bomber.
>
> My first bottle sure tasted good, I have a feeling it was because of the
> "I am very bitter and I like it!" pint glass I drank it from. I'm going
> to give myself a little more time to enjoy the next one because 1 pt 6
> fl oz of 11.26% gets me pretty f'ed up:
>
> http://www.stonebrew.com/og/2007/design.html
>
> Greg
> --
> The ticket******* Tax Tracker:http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

When I was drinking lots of Foghorn at a certain bar they'd serve it
in sissy little 10oz glasses. I demanded to be served a manly pint.
They acquiesed with a smirk. An hour later they were mopping up the
floor with me. No drink makes me as slackjawed and dumbfounded as that
stuff. Funny thing is that even though I only lived a fifteen minute
walk away, I'd always wind up waking up in wierd places: bushes, porch
couches, Virginia Beach....

/s

JD
February 21st 07, 12:35 AM
On Feb 20, 1:17 pm, "Scott Gordo" > wrote:
> On Feb 17, 2:52 am, "G.T." > wrote:
>

> > JD wrote:
> > > Since it's the season of the barleywines out in the WARM West, I've
> > > been sampling a few of the regulars and a few of the not so regulars.
> > > Bigfoot by Sierra Nevada is ok. Foghorn from our friends at Anchor is
> > > pretty good. Old Guardian from the genuises at Stone kicks ass. It's
> > > so smooth, the only way you can tell it's 11.26% is the mellow glow it
> > > applies, starting about halfway through a bomber.
>
> > My first bottle sure tasted good, I have a feeling it was because of the
> > "I am very bitter and I like it!" pint glass I drank it from. I'm going
> > to give myself a little more time to enjoy the next one because 1 pt 6
> > fl oz of 11.26% gets me pretty f'ed up:
>
> >http://www.stonebrew.com/og/2007/design.html
>
> > Greg
> > --
> > The ticket******* Tax Tracker:http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html
>
> When I was drinking lots of Foghorn at a certain bar they'd serve it
> in sissy little 10oz glasses. I demanded to be served a manly pint.
> They acquiesed with a smirk. An hour later they were mopping up the
> floor with me. No drink makes me as slackjawed and dumbfounded as that
> stuff. Funny thing is that even though I only lived a fifteen minute
> walk away, I'd always wind up waking up in wierd places: bushes, porch
> couches, Virginia Beach....

Lady Falconburgh's in Durango serves Chimay on draft in those pinchy
little glasses. What do they think, we can't handle strong beer?

JD

Scott Gordo
February 21st 07, 02:51 PM
On Feb 20, 7:35 pm, "JD" > wrote:
> On Feb 20, 1:17 pm, "Scott Gordo" > wrote:

> > > My first bottle sure tasted good, I have a feeling it was because of the
> > > "I am very bitter and I like it!" pint glass I drank it from. I'm going
> > > to give myself a little more time to enjoy the next one because 1 pt 6
> > > fl oz of 11.26% gets me pretty f'ed up:
>
> > >http://www.stonebrew.com/og/2007/design.html
>
> > > Greg
> > > --
> > > The ticket******* Tax Tracker:http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html
>
> > When I was drinking lots of Foghorn at a certain bar they'd serve it
> > in sissy little 10oz glasses. I demanded to be served a manly pint.
> > They acquiesed with a smirk. An hour later they were mopping up the
> > floor with me. No drink makes me as slackjawed and dumbfounded as that
> > stuff. Funny thing is that even though I only lived a fifteen minute
> > walk away, I'd always wind up waking up in wierd places: bushes, porch
> > couches, Virginia Beach....
>
> Lady Falconburgh's in Durango serves Chimay on draft in those pinchy
> little glasses. What do they think, we can't handle strong beer?
>
> JD- Hide quoted text -

I think you're correct. And in my case, I'm not afraid to admit that
the bartenders were probably right. I've pounded down enough beer,
bourbon, gin, and tequila for 3 livers, but Foghorn makes me feel like
I've been dosed with a handful of ludes and then shot in the neck with
a tranqilizer dart.

/s

MattB
February 21st 07, 04:10 PM
Scott Gordo wrote:
> On Feb 20, 7:35 pm, "JD" > wrote:

>>>When I was drinking lots of Foghorn at a certain bar they'd serve it
>>>in sissy little 10oz glasses. I demanded to be served a manly pint.
>>>They acquiesed with a smirk. An hour later they were mopping up the
>>>floor with me. No drink makes me as slackjawed and dumbfounded as that
>>>stuff. Funny thing is that even though I only lived a fifteen minute
>>>walk away, I'd always wind up waking up in wierd places: bushes, porch
>>>couches, Virginia Beach....
>>
>>Lady Falconburgh's in Durango serves Chimay on draft in those pinchy
>>little glasses. What do they think, we can't handle strong beer?
>>
>>JD- Hide quoted text -

> I think you're correct. And in my case, I'm not afraid to admit that
> the bartenders were probably right. I've pounded down enough beer,
> bourbon, gin, and tequila for 3 livers, but Foghorn makes me feel like
> I've been dosed with a handful of ludes and then shot in the neck with
> a tranqilizer dart.
>
> /s

It can give me a pretty wicked hangover too. They make their own
Barleywine at the brewery a couple of doors down from my office. I also
thought they were selling me short on the little glasses but after a
couple of them I soon realized I was having plenty! Then I realized it
again the next morning.

Matt

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home