PDA

View Full Version : Aerodynamic Water Bottles

T. Field
July 29th 03, 12:34 AM
I recently acquired a Cervelo P2K, and am setting it up for TT's There
are only bolts for a water bottle cage on the downtube. Is the
Campagnolo Biodynamica "thin" water bottle more aerodynamic in this
position than a standard round bottle and cage? does any one have any
info on this?

Kwantani
July 29th 03, 01:37 AM
Yes, read this...
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/waterbottles.html

"T. Field" > wrote in message
om...
> I recently acquired a Cervelo P2K, and am setting it up for TT's There
> are only bolts for a water bottle cage on the downtube. Is the
> Campagnolo Biodynamica "thin" water bottle more aerodynamic in this
> position than a standard round bottle and cage? does any one have any
> info on this?

Mark Hickey
July 29th 03, 07:59 PM
"Kwantani" > wrote:

>Yes, read this...
>http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/waterbottles.html

In the article, John Cobb mentions that in testing, an aero water
bottle worked well on Lance's TT bike's seat tube.

In fact, that's how he raced it - with a large (Campy?) aero water
bottle mounted very low on the seat tube. I guess in the end it's
more of a "virtual fairing" than a water bottle... not that there's
anything wrong with that....

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

T. Field
July 29th 03, 08:14 PM
Thanks, the last line is the most telling...aerodynamic bottles on the
downtube seemed to help in the case of a frame built for Lance
Armstrong.

Kwantani" > wrote in message

> Yes, read this...
> http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/waterbottles.html
>
> "T. Field" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I recently acquired a Cervelo P2K, and am setting it up for TT's There
> > are only bolts for a water bottle cage on the downtube. Is the
> > Campagnolo Biodynamica "thin" water bottle more aerodynamic in this
> > position than a standard round bottle and cage? does any one have any
> > info on this?

Gary Jacobson
July 30th 03, 03:14 AM
In the days of Shimano AX we used to crush a standard cage and use a
dishsoap bottle for water. Used to fill in the underside of Turbo saddle
with a sheet of stiff foam.
Do it yourself back then.
GJ

"T. Field" > wrote in message
om...
> Thanks, the last line is the most telling...aerodynamic bottles on the
> downtube seemed to help in the case of a frame built for Lance
> Armstrong.
>

> Kwantani" > wrote in message

> > Yes, read this...
> > http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/waterbottles.html
> >
> > "T. Field" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > I recently acquired a Cervelo P2K, and am setting it up for TT's There
> > > are only bolts for a water bottle cage on the downtube. Is the
> > > Campagnolo Biodynamica "thin" water bottle more aerodynamic in this
> > > position than a standard round bottle and cage? does any one have any
> > > info on this?

Jens Kurt Heycke
July 30th 03, 05:10 AM
That did look like a Biodinamica on his bike. Anyone
konw for sure?

BTW, the handle-hole in the Biodinamica doesn't seem
all that aero to me. I covered it on each side with a
piece of duct tape, so the sides are more sheer.

-- Jens

"Mark Hickey" > wrote in message
> "Kwantani" > wrote:
>
> >Yes, read this...
> >http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/waterbottles.html
>
> In the article, John Cobb mentions that in testing, an aero water
> bottle worked well on Lance's TT bike's seat tube.
>
> In fact, that's how he raced it - with a large (Campy?) aero water
> bottle mounted very low on the seat tube. I guess in the end it's
> more of a "virtual fairing" than a water bottle... not that there's
> anything wrong with that....
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com