PDA

View Full Version : Nimbus 36" frame question

boo radley
February 22nd 07, 07:35 AM
Would it be possible to mount a caliper brake through the crown of the
Nimbus 36" frame (as seen with a standard frame in Uni Mag Issue 1)? I
can't tell from the picture if there's enough room below that back
tubing. 'link' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=960)

--
boo radley

"no really, are you sure you love me more than your unicycle?" -my gf

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx
boo radley's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10484

iridemymuni
February 22nd 07, 08:08 AM
i would love to run one too because i'm too cheap to get a magura.

--
iridemymuni

maker of the happy birthday threads

ive got:

John Childs, Klaas Bill, Kris Holm, Samia, Harper, Bryan Stevens,
Wobbling bear, Mike Swarbrick, Cathwoood, Scott Wallis, Mikefule,
Raphael (jjuggle), James Potter, ITEMNO530, DogBowl, Yoopers,
Habbywall, Terry and Jagur.
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

kington99
February 22nd 07, 09:55 AM
You certainly couldn't get one behind the frame, you might be able to
mount one on the front of the frame if you drill the hole really low so
the bolt doesn't interfere with the rear bracing.

--
kington99

Dave

Hazmat
February 22nd 07, 10:52 AM
I think it is, cause i'm doing it soon to my coker. :D :D

--
Hazmat

1 weird and unusual greek cypriot australian :D
Hazmat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13828

412
February 22nd 07, 12:05 PM
Doesn't look so judging from the picture at least, perhaps on the front
(as someone already pointed out).

May i ask why - because you want a drag brake?

In that case wouldn't V-brake + Magura to V converter (from a trials
shop) + "normal dragbrake setup with shifter" work? (Of course this
would cost a bit more, but on the positive side, you don't have to put
a drill to your new frame!)

I don't know if there is a big ratio difference from road/bmx brake to
a V-brake, that could cause problems (or perhaps it would be even
better) though.

--
412
412's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14317

brendan
February 22nd 07, 01:30 PM
i think UDC sells some brake adapters
http://tinyurl.com/2a2yeb

isnt that wat u are looking for?

i'm not sure how these things work... but might be it :P

--
brendan
brendan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13680

semach.the.monkey
February 22nd 07, 09:57 PM
boo radley wrote:
> Would it be possible to mount a caliper brake through the crown of the
> Nimbus 36" frame (as seen with a standard frame in Uni Mag Issue 1)? I
> can't tell from the picture if there's enough room below that back
> tubing. 'link' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=960)

Sadly, No.

That was one of the first things I looked at when I got mine. I bought
a BMX style caliper brake from eBay after reading the article you're
refering to, with the intention of fitting it to my 29er. It was only
when it arrive that I realised it was a back brake, and the bolt wasn't
long enough for the thicker tube at the crown of my 29.

So, looking at the rear brace of the new Nimbus, I thought it would
work a treat. Sadly though, the distance between the brace and the
wheel rim is about 1/2 - 3/4" too far.

As Kington99 says, it should work on the bottom of the main tube though
(if it's a front brake not a rear one!), but I think the mechanism
would have to go at the front rather than the rear.

I'm keeping my eyes open for cheap Maguars on eBay now though :-)

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
semach.the.monkey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12078

unisk8r
February 23rd 07, 03:23 AM
A few interesting things to note for purposes of a caliper brake
install.

First, the main (seat) tube on that frame is an external butt, with
much greater wall thickness than the higher section of the tube. Thus
drilling a fore/aft hole in the lower section to mount a caliper brake
will not weaken the tube.

Second, Roger has apparently positioned the main (seat) tube such that
the legs (downtubes) are welded to it at a more forward point on the
sides of the tube. So indeed there is more room at the back of this
tube for caliper style brake shoes to not hit the downtubes.

Third, make sure the width of a caliper brake and its cable stop will
not interfere with your legs while pedalling. Otherwise, this frame
looks very useful for a caliper style brake.

Fourth, on all my rim brakes, I grind off about half of the brake shoe
area, thus making the brake shoes less effective and grabby on the
rim.
Pete

--
unisk8r
unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660

boo radley
February 23rd 07, 06:10 AM
I don't want Maguras or anything too complicated/expensive because I
hardly ever use the brake anway. Here's a couple pictures of what I've
got now. I'm hoping to replicate it on the Nimbus frame. It's an
Odyssey 1999 BMX brake drilled through the seat tube. It came with 2
bolts, one short and one long. I think I'm using the longer one. The
brake pads are not too grabby at all, which is nice. I'm thinking it
will work if I mount it on the front of the frame as suggested.
[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=307451&g2]

[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=307448&g2]

--
boo radley

"no really, are you sure you love me more than your unicycle?" -my gf

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx
boo radley's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10484

kington99
February 23rd 07, 08:54 AM
boo radley wrote:
> I don't want Maguras or anything too complicated/expensive because I
> hardly ever use the brake anway.

To be honest, bearing in mind the magura mounts are already in place,
maguras are probably simpler to fit than anything else. The set I have
on my nimbus 36 i got for £10.50 on ebay, and I spent another £8 on new
pads and a tpi dial. The set on my muni i got got for £22 on ebay and
were usable straight out the box. There are currently sets on ebay
starting at £1.

--
kington99

Dave

semach.the.monkey
February 23rd 07, 11:02 AM
kington99 wrote:
> To be honest, bearing in mind the magura mounts are already in place,
> maguras are probably simpler to fit than anything else. The set I have
> on my nimbus 36 i got for £10.50 on ebay, and I spent another £8 on new
> pads and a tpi dial. The set on my muni i got got for £22 on ebay and
> were usable straight out the box. There are currently sets on ebay
> starting at £1.

Have you got a link? Every time I've checked eBay all the stuff due to
finish in the next day or two is at least £40.

(Yes, I know it seems I'm being lazy not looking now, but I can't use
eBay whilst at work, so will have a look tonight as well)

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
semach.the.monkey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12078

kington99
February 23rd 07, 04:00 PM
semach.the.monkey wrote:
> Have you got a link? Every time I've checked eBay all the stuff due to
> finish in the next day or two is at least £40.
>
> (Yes, I know it seems I'm being lazy not looking now, but I can't use
> eBay whilst at work, so will have a look tonight as well)
>
> STM

Here goes:

'1' (http://tinyurl.com/2kkt6r)
'2' (http://tinyurl.com/ywdk33)
'3' (http://tinyurl.com/2rna82)
'4' (http://tinyurl.com/2dzf5j)

--
kington99

Dave

semach.the.monkey
February 23rd 07, 04:33 PM
kington99 wrote:
> Here goes:
>
> '1' (http://tinyurl.com/2kkt6r)
> '2' (http://tinyurl.com/ywdk33)
> '3' (http://tinyurl.com/2rna82)
> '4' (http://tinyurl.com/2dzf5j)

Thanks. I'll have a butchers when I get home tonight.

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
semach.the.monkey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12078

zfreak220
February 18th 08, 11:36 PM
boo radley wrote:
> I don't want Maguras or anything too complicated/expensive because I
> hardly ever use the brake anway. Here's a couple pictures of what I've
> got now. I'm hoping to replicate it on the Nimbus frame. It's an
> Odyssey 1999 BMX brake drilled through the seat tube. It came with 2
> bolts, one short and one long. I think I'm using the longer one. The
> brake pads are not too grabby at all, which is nice. I'm thinking it
> will work if I mount it on the front of the frame as suggested.
> [image:
> http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=307451&g2]
>

> [image:
> http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=307448&g2]

Would you say there's enough clearence for the brake to be used on a 24
x 2.6 tire? Also, could you take a picture of how you set up the brake
lever?

--
zfreak220

'' (http://tinyurl.com/3ahryh)
http://www.usenet.com

boo radley
February 19th 08, 03:03 AM
zfreak220 wrote:
> Would you say there's enough clearence for the brake to be used on a 24
> x 2.6 tire? Also, could you take a picture of how you set up the brake
> lever?

Not sure. It would be a tight fit if it did. The pads are far enough
apart for pretty much any rim (the tire can be deflated to pass between
the pads), but the knobs of your tire might rub the lower part of the
brake arms. I did a quick test on my 2.5" trials tire and it seemed
pretty close to the limit. The brake lever is mounted to the left
handle of my T7. Others have recently posted pictures of that setup...
mine looks the same.

--
boo radley

User CP - Edit Options - Uncheck: Show Signatures - Save Changes
http://www.usenet.com

scotthue
February 19th 08, 03:27 AM
here:

|Filename: brake_back.jpg |

scotthue
http://www.usenet.com

chuckaeronut
February 19th 08, 06:18 AM
I was able to drill through my Nimbus 36 at the crown to get my caliper
brake mounted: [image:
http://gallery.mac.com/cedwall/100527/IMG_9321/web.jpg]

It doesn't seem to have structurally compromised the frame at all, so I
think that's a pretty good deal. I considered putting it on the rear
brace like the above poster, but I thought it'd compromise the frame
too much there. Guess I was wrong :). It works either way, I guess.
However you want to crack it! :)

--
chuckaeronut

Cycling: It doesn't get easier; you just get faster.
Unicycling: It doesn't get easier; you just do tougher stuff.
http://www.usenet.com

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home