PDA

View Full Version : Shoes, Pedals, and Pins

Hodad
February 23rd 07, 03:19 AM
I've seen quite a bit of discussion about pedals and pins and flesh
wounds. But I'm wondering why the pins need to go in the pedals (and
your shins). Wouldn't it be better to if the pedal had a less
'pointy' surface and the pins (or cleats, or whatever) were on the
shoes? Has anyone tried anything like this? Just wondering.
-- Hodad

tunkie
February 23rd 07, 03:34 AM
well the pins in your shoes would have to fit into spots on the pedal
correctly or it would be weird.

--
tunkie

http://youtube.com/profile?user=tunkie1993

http://www.misterpoll.com/568933725.html
tunkie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13936

MuniAddict
February 23rd 07, 03:38 AM
Hmmm, not if the pedal surface was semi-soft, so the cleats could "sink"
into them, but you'd need to be able to get your shoes off the pedals
at a moments notice, or risk injury.

--
MuniAddict

"On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
man.")

My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b

tunkie
February 23rd 07, 03:40 AM
Yeah it be way too complicated and what if you wanted to walk youd have
to remove thepins or theyd wear down.

--
tunkie

http://youtube.com/profile?user=tunkie1993

http://www.misterpoll.com/568933725.html
tunkie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13936

mornish
February 23rd 07, 04:53 AM
tunkie wrote:
> Yeah it be way too complicated and what if you wanted to walk youd have
> to remove thepins or theyd wear down.

yeah.

it would suck to be grinding a rail or something and fall really fast
and not be able to run.

--
mornish

aim:kiloornish
email: mornish AT gmail DOT com

Evan wrote:
> Buy my wheel damnit

johnfoss
February 23rd 07, 05:21 AM
Or you could use less-spikey pedals and wear turf shoes or similar. That
worked great for me for many years. I went to pins after I realized I
wasn't nailing my shins and calves much anymore.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view

madmattunipro
February 23rd 07, 05:42 AM
Leg Armour.

--
madmattunipro

><>Unicycle For Christ<><

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

http://www.norco.com
madmattunipro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10763

Ducttape
February 23rd 07, 05:57 AM
I second the leg Armour but before I got that I was using "turf shoes"
of sorts they were rubbery spikes on the bottom and I could easily
adjust my feet and/or pull them off the pedals at a moments notice.
then I got the leg Armour and use my normal shoes (which have little to
no grip on my worn down plastic pedals in the rain).

--
Ducttape

*Coker Fund:*$683.31
*Freeride Seat with shipping will cost: *$64.84
*GB4 Handle with shipping will cost:* $64.95
*______________________________________
**Total cost for stuff: *$814.15* Current Progress *697.00*/*814.15';)'
(http://www.zazzle.com/Ducttapesunicycle) ;)
Ducttape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12006

madmattunipro
February 23rd 07, 06:05 AM
Worn down plastic pedals suck. Especially in rain, snow, or any other
type of moisture or precipitation. A good metal platform pedal with
pins gives the best grip. I combine these with my light hiking boots so
I have good support and protection as well as a good feel on the pedal.

--
madmattunipro

><>Unicycle For Christ<><

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

http://www.norco.com
madmattunipro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10763

Ducttape
February 23rd 07, 06:16 AM
madmattunipro wrote:
> Worn down plastic pedals suck. Especially in rain, snow, or any other
> type of moisture or precipitation. A good metal platform pedal with
> pins gives the best grip. I combine these with my light hiking boots so
> I have good support and protection as well as a good feel on the pedal.

I was going to get new pedals when I took my uni to get the wheel trued
at the LBS but forgot that I only had enought to pay for the wheel
being trued so I'm still stuck with worn down plastic pedals....

--
Ducttape

*Coker Fund:*$683.31
*Freeride Seat with shipping will cost: *$64.84
*GB4 Handle with shipping will cost:* $64.95
*______________________________________
**Total cost for stuff: *$814.15* Current Progress *697.00*/*814.15';)'
(http://www.zazzle.com/Ducttapesunicycle) ;)
Ducttape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12006

sp4rky-m4rky
February 23rd 07, 08:36 AM
armour is the best option because even if your pedals didnt have pins it
would still hurt if you got hit in the shin by them so I would wear my
armour anyway

--
sp4rky-m4rky
sp4rky-m4rky's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14270

madmattunipro
February 23rd 07, 05:06 PM
sp4rky-m4rky wrote:
> armour is the best option because even if your pedals didnt have pins it
> would still hurt if you got hit in the shin by them so I would wear my
> armour anyway

That is true, any pedal will hurt considerably when you ram it into
your shins, however pinned pedals do a LOT more damage. It's nearly
impossible to not bleed from a pedal bite when you have metal pins.

--
madmattunipro

><>Unicycle For Christ<><

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

http://www.norco.com
madmattunipro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10763

onelesscar
February 23rd 07, 07:16 PM
madmattunipro wrote:
> That is true, any pedal will hurt considerably when you ram it into your
> shins, however pinned pedals do a LOT more damage. It's nearly
> impossible to not bleed from a pedal bite when you have metal pins.

yeah, even my plastic odysseys will draw blood if i'm not wearing my
guards.

--
onelesscar

"my bounty is as boundless as the sea
my love as deep
the more i give to thee the more i have
for both are endless"
onelesscar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11127

sp4rky-m4rky
February 23rd 07, 08:03 PM
maybe you should make a prototype and see if it works or how good it is?
i would still wear leg protection though so i dont believe theres a
great advantage, my kh percussion armour is verry comfotable i forget i
am wearing them and end up wearing them most the day :D

--
sp4rky-m4rky
sp4rky-m4rky's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14270

benjaug
February 24th 07, 12:36 AM
When I first got my Nimbus Trials, I had *just* learnt to ride, and I
was crazy about not getting any pedal bites, so I switched my CX pedals
to my trials uni and didn't need 661's.
Big mistake.
After a while, I realized that if I wore my shin pads I would be fine
with spiked pedals. They hold my feet great, and I almost never ride
without my pads, so it doesn't matter what the pedals are like.

I would definetly say pads are the way to go.

--
benjaug

'My wicked awesome gallery' (www.youtube.com/user/benjaug)
unidude3 (at) yahoo (dot) com
'POST 1,000' (http://tinyurl.com/yq6hbj)
'MRIS!!' (http://tinyurl.com/2zpk87)
benjaug's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11229

Uniman_3
February 24th 07, 12:50 AM
take the pain or get shin pads..

--
Uniman_3

Words are made to strike the minds of the unsuspecting.
Uniman_3's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14387

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home