PDA

View Full Version : MUni article in CSM

MuniAddict
February 24th 07, 03:04 AM
A riding buddy brought this article to my attention. It ran in Nov., '06
in the "Christian Science Monitor" of all places! I don't subscribe to
that publication, but found it online:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/1127/p20s01-alsp.html

The featured rider in the article is someone named Eugene Cathcart, who
is termed, "a pioneer of the 'impossible' sport". I haven't heard of
ths person before, but I certainly had no idea that he was the pioneer
of MUni.:confused: Anyway, there are the usual bits of misinformation,
like:"Though top speeds in unicycling reach only 3 m.p.h." Haha!
Anyway, check it out..and someone please enlighten me on WHO Eugene
Cathcart is!

--
MuniAddict

"On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
man.")

My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b

Spencer Hochberg
February 24th 07, 03:14 AM
> top speeds in unicycling reach only 3 m.p.h.

ha

--
Spencer Hochberg

'BC wheel movie.'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56195) Watch
it.
'Bedford Unicycles' (http://BedfordUnicycles.ca)
AIM: SpencerHochberg
Email: Litldude2 (at) aol (dot) com

Im messing with it again!!!
Spencer Hochberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12659

maximus unius
February 24th 07, 03:32 AM
> the MUnicyclist, who tends to be a daredevil, a geek, or both...

> the mild- mannered and ponytailed Cathcart - whose earnest geek
> vernacular is flavored with words like "gyroscopic" and
> "near-frictionless"...

> he probably looks like a geeky, over-padded failure of an athlete...

They really seem to think that we are wierd geeks, don't they?

> To anyone else, he probably looks like a geeky, over-padded failure of
> an athlete, sliding and falling and scrambling after his wheel. But
> this is peak performance MUni.

Not really "peak performance Muni", and probably not what he actually
does...

--
maximus unius
maximus unius's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13699

Uniman_3
February 24th 07, 03:46 AM
At least Unicycling is getting noticed by someone...

--
Uniman_3

Words are made to strike the minds of the unsuspecting.
Uniman_3's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14387

JJtheunicycle
February 24th 07, 04:05 AM
psh yeah that's crap and it kind of ****es me off (in an annoying kind
of way)

--
JJtheunicycle

Justin is teh 1337z0rz
JJtheunicycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12224

oddsends
February 24th 07, 04:10 AM
I second that; they seem to have forgotten the investigative part of
journalism. OH, wait I forgot this was the... ... yeah

--
oddsends
oddsends's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11468

Unicorn
February 25th 07, 07:57 AM
It looks like the Uni that Eugene Cathcart was riding was a Dirt Uni.
They have a very unique frame design and are suposed to be very good
albiet expensive hand built unicycles. ($900 a unicycle.) Thier slogan
was "Dirt Uni - Unicycles that shred." An interesting fact about them
was that they were the only Uni that I have ever seen that puts V-brake
posts on the frame instead of Magura 4 bolt brake mounts. Dirt Uni is
or was based in Oregon so everything seems logical.

I can hit speeds of up to 9mph on the road on my 24" unicycles with
165mm cranks. On single trails though when the riding is technical I
doubt that I go over 3MPH so maybe they were talking about top speeds
in technical terrain.

Anyway if anyone knows what happened to the Dirt Uni company please let
me know. Their website has not been coming up for the past half year.

Unicorn

--
Unicorn

Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will
accomplish great feats!
Unicorn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12801

Unicorn
February 25th 07, 09:56 AM
Yes, I was correct earlier this morning in identifying the Dirt Uni
frame in the article. Eugene is even listed in UDC as a distributor. I
do wonder though what happened to his website. I guess that after
disigning such shredding unicycles Eugene has the right to be called a
pioneer of the muni sport. I remember the website photos and the Dirt
Unis were very impressive with original desings very different from
anything else on the market.

Unicorn

Dirt Uni
Contact: Eugene Cathcart
1940 Southwest Forest Ridge Avenue
Bend, OR 97702
541-350-3196 phone
541-382-2444 fax
Back to top

--
Unicorn

Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will
accomplish great feats!
Unicorn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12801

Chris.James
February 25th 07, 07:48 PM
"To anyone else, he probably looks like a geeky, over-padded failure of
an athlete, sliding and falling and scrambling after his wheel."

wow that raises my self esteem exponentially

--
Chris.James

"Thats my favorite thing about unicycling, I can eat oreos while
riding!" ~Me

"Darwin was once of the greatest minds of our time!...Then why is he
making out with Satan?" ~The Simpsons

"I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down...this should be every boy's
dream!"~Bart Simpson
Chris.James's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14072

Unicorn
February 26th 07, 11:01 AM
Actually he designed some pretty BAD ASS unicycles and just for that the
guy deserves respect. I would not mind owning one of his DIRT Unis.

Unicorn

--
Unicorn

Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will
accomplish great feats!
Unicorn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12801

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home