PDA

View Full Version : Installing new hub

thejdw
February 24th 07, 07:48 PM
some quick questions:
I'm getting a new hub(kh movment) for my nimbus 24" muni and I have
some quick questions:

1)So far here are all the tools I think I need:
stanard crank remover(UDC.Uk), '8mm Allen Key '
(http://tinyurl.com/y4z9cc),and a 'spokey
' (http://tinyurl.com/28esmu). are there any more tools that i'll
need?

2) Will I need new spokes or can I keep the curent ones?

3)is ther any more info that i'll need?

--
thejdw

dunawan wrote:
> why are koxx one unicycles so costly???
> forrestunifreak wrote:
> > They are expensive because they use only the finest soft drink cans.

:D :D 2 unispins landed!:D :D
>>don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<
thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230

Danni
February 24th 07, 07:56 PM
Grease: you'll want to put em on your spokes (not too much, just a
film). A screwdriver can get you pretty far, but for the final
tightening, use the spoke wrench.

This is what helped me the most, not so much the instructions but the
pics.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

It usually a good idea to switch out the old spokes for some new ones,
but I don't think that really matters much.

Good luck!

--
Danni

leo wrote:
> Without cocks you wouldn't even have a family forum.

'Pile Driver' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXflM7xVLs) 'Jack Ass'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6U1xH6MtNM)
'Russian Climber'
(http://tinyurl.com/p6vnc) 'Urban Ninja Part 1'
(http://tinyurl.com/2m5o2h) 'Part 2'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9nVENReGBY)
'-->Trials Uni For Sale!'
Danni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12990

thejdw
February 24th 07, 10:26 PM
Danni wrote:

> It usually a good idea to switch out the old spokes for some new ones,
> but I don't think that really matters much.

Can you suggest one posssible problem?

and will oil be ok instead of grease? if not what type/were should I
get grease?

--
thejdw

dunawan wrote:
> why are koxx one unicycles so costly???
> forrestunifreak wrote:
> > They are expensive because they use only the finest soft drink cans.

:D :D 2 unispins landed!:D :D
>>don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<
thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230

kington99
February 24th 07, 11:12 PM
thejdw wrote:
> Can you suggest one posssible problem?
>
> and will oil be ok instead of grease? if not what type/were should I
> get grease?

When you build a wheel the spokes deform to fit the hub, using old
spokes on a new wheel build makes a weaker wheel. Also the length
might not be correct, use the UDC spoke calculator to check. A drop of
oil on the spoke threads would be fine, it's just to decrease the
torque applied to the spoke as the nipple is turned.

--
kington99

Dave

thejdw
February 24th 07, 11:27 PM
kington99 wrote:
> When you build a wheel the spokes deform to fit the hub, using old
> spokes on a new wheel build makes a weaker wheel. Also the length
> might not be correct, use the UDC spoke calculator to check. A drop of
> oil on the spoke threads would be fine, it's just to decrease the
> torque applied to the spoke as the nipple is turned.

I tried to find my rime on there(Jetset black double-walled alloy
downhill) but failed :(

does anybody know what spoke lenth I will need to fit a 'kh movment h'
(http://tinyurl.com/3e54lp)ub on a 'nimbus 24\" muni'
(http://tinyurl.com/3gd9k)?

--
thejdw

dunawan wrote:
> why are koxx one unicycles so costly???
> forrestunifreak wrote:
> > They are expensive because they use only the finest soft drink cans.

:D :D 2 unispins landed!:D :D
>>don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<
thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230

thejdw
February 24th 07, 11:59 PM
thejdw wrote:

> does anybody know what spoke lenth I will need to fit a 'kh movment h'
> (http://tinyurl.com/3e54lp)ub on a 'nimbus 24\" muni'
> (http://tinyurl.com/3gd9k)?

Would '231mm - 14g stainless spokes' work ok? :confused:

--
thejdw

dunawan wrote:
> why are koxx one unicycles so costly???
> forrestunifreak wrote:
> > They are expensive because they use only the finest soft drink cans.

:D :D 2 unispins landed!:D :D
>>don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<
thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230

kington99
February 25th 07, 12:09 AM
thejdw wrote:
> I tried to find my rime on there(Jetset black double-walled alloy
> downhill) but failed :(
>
> does anybody know what spoke lenth I will need to fit a 'kh movment h'
> (http://tinyurl.com/3e54lp)ub on a 'nimbus 24\" muni'
> (http://tinyurl.com/3gd9k)?

Looks like you're going to need to measure up your rim and enter the
data in to the calculator, unless you can find them online. Having said
that, just ran the caculator with the dx32 rim, and both hubs, and the
spoke legnth comes out within .3 mm so your old spokes should be the
right length. If you can;t work out it just ask Roger, he prob has the
data for your rim seeing as he sold it to you.

--
kington99

Dave

thejdw
February 25th 07, 09:51 AM
kington99 wrote:
> Looks like you're going to need to measure up your rim and enter the
> data in to the calculator, unless you can find them online. Having said
> that, just ran the caculator with the dx32 rim, and both hubs, and the
> spoke legnth comes out within .3 mm so your old spokes should be the
> right length. If you can;t work out it just ask Roger, he prob has the
> data for your rim seeing as he sold it to you.

thanks :)

--
thejdw

dunawan wrote:
> why are koxx one unicycles so costly???
> forrestunifreak wrote:
> > They are expensive because they use only the finest soft drink cans.

:D :D 2 unispins landed!:D :D
>>don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<
thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230

sp4rky-m4rky
February 25th 07, 11:06 AM
after breaking my hub i just used the original spokes and my wheel seems
fine i have droped from some farily big hights and not even a sound, i
didnt look into how much new spokes would be though, if they dont cost
much you might as well replace them i wouldnt like to have to redo it
all over again

--
sp4rky-m4rky
sp4rky-m4rky's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14270

kington99
February 25th 07, 11:21 AM
sp4rky-m4rky wrote:
> after breaking my hub i just used the original spokes and my wheel seems
> fine i have droped from some farily big hights and not even a sound, i
> didnt look into how much new spokes would be though, if they dont cost
> much you might as well replace them i wouldnt like to have to redo it
> all over again

Yeah to be frank when I upgraded from a nimbus to KH hub on my nimbus
uni I used the same spokes and never had any problems, particulalry
because it's a muni not a trials uni. New spokes cost £15 from UDC.

--
kington99

Dave

thejdw
February 25th 07, 12:05 PM
kington99 wrote:
> Yeah to be frank when I upgraded from a nimbus to KH hub on my nimbus
> uni I used the same spokes and never had any problems, particulalry
> because it's a muni not a trials uni. New spokes cost £15 from UDC.

I do trials as well on mine so I think i'll fork out £15 and get new
spokes and keep the old ones as spairs

--
thejdw

dunawan wrote:
> why are koxx one unicycles so costly???
> forrestunifreak wrote:
> > They are expensive because they use only the finest soft drink cans.

:D :D 2 unispins landed!:D :D
>>don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<
thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230

thejdw
February 25th 07, 04:23 PM
thejdw wrote:
> I do trials as well on mine so I think i'll fork out £15 and get new
> spokes and keep the old ones as spairs.

Dam I don't have £15 :( hope the old ones last

--
thejdw

dunawan wrote:
> why are koxx one unicycles so costly???
> forrestunifreak wrote:
> > They are expensive because they use only the finest soft drink cans.

:D :D 2 unispins landed!:D :D
>>don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<
thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230

Google