PDA

View Full Version : Why can't mountain bikers just tell the truth?!

Mike Vandeman
February 25th 07, 06:13 AM
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 20:10:15 -0800 (PST)
From: Mike Vandeman >
Subject: Re:
To: Ryan Kay >

You didn't refute anything I said. It's true
that
mountain biking is not sustainable, and finding
other bad things to compare it with doesn't
change that. By your logic, we should ignore
assault and burglary, because they aren't as
bad
as murder.

You also didn't tell the truth about that cell
phone study. It didn't say "no evidence of harm
to bodies". It said "no cancer".

Why can't mountain bikers just tell the truth?!

If you don't like people telling the truth
about
mountain biking, why don't you move to a
country
without freedom of speech, like North Korea?

--- Ryan Kay > wrote:

> take a step off your soap box and look
around.
> mountain biking "non-sustainable." Do you not
> eat food that comes from the environment or
> ever drive a vehicle? obviously, you use a
> computer and that was probably shipped from
> china consuming non-sustainable resources and
> exposing children to toxic metals etc. did
you
> not see the latest research of cell phones,
> no
> evidence of harm to bodies. get off your
> platform.
>
> ryan kay

longer
> safely assume that
> water from mountain streams is safe to drink.
> As Mark Gross stated so
> eloquently, exploiting wildlife and wildlife
> habitat, for pleasuring
> humans, is fast becoming obsolete (although
> dropping support for
> Nature Conservancy seems counter-productive
> me). The
> rationalizations for such exploitation are
> transparently just that.
> Aldo Leopold is a good example of discarding
> obsolete notions (the
> killing of wolves) when they become clearly
> untenable.
>
> This not to say that denigration of the
> "exploiters" is okay. I can't
> really criticize 19th century Americans for
not
> anticipating modern
> conservation biology. And I don't think that
> difference of opinion
> necessarily means we can't get along and work
> together. There will
> probably always be compromises "on the
ground".

> But I don't see any reason to compromise on
> telling the truth! Yes,
> we are animals somewhat like other animals,
but
> we are not a natural
> part of any ecosystem. We are a species that
is
> native to part of
> Africa, and everywhere else a very late
> newcomer, i.e. an exotic
> species. Like all exotic species, we have
> arguably no right to
> access, much less exploit, local ecosystems,
> especially when those
> activities threaten native species (except
> that, when it's
> convenient, we claim that "might makes
right").

> There is no honest way in today's environment
> to rationalize hunting,
> fishing, and "collecting" of native species,
or

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande>http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> Ehrlich, Paul R. and Ehrlich, Anne H.,
> Extinction: The Causes and
> Consequences of the Disappearances of
Species.
> New York: Random House, 1981.
>
> Errington, Paul L., A Question of Values.
Ames,
> Iowa: Iowa State
> University Press, 1987.
>
> Flannery, Tim, The Eternal Frontier -- An
> Ecological History of North
> America and Its Peoples. New York: Grove
Press,
> 2001.
>
> Foreman, Dave, Confessions of an Eco-Warrior.
> New York: Harmony Books, 1991.
>
> Knight, Richard L. and Kevin J. Gutzwiller,
> eds. Wildlife and
> Recreationists. Covelo, California: Island
> Press, 1995.
>
> Louv, Richard, Last Child in the Woods --
> Saving Our Children from
> Nature-Deficit Disorder. Chapel Hill, N.C.:
> Algonquin Books of Chapel
> Hill, 2005.
>
> Noss, Reed F. and Allen Y. Cooperrider,
Saving

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/india3>http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/india3,

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/scb4>http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/scb4,

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/scb7>http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/scb7.

> Ward, Peter Douglas, The End of Evolution: On
> Mass Extinctions and
> the Preservation of Biodiversity. New York:
> Bantam Books, 1994.
>
> "The Wildlands Project", Wild Earth.
Richmond,
> Vermont: The Cenozoic
> Society, 1994.
>
> Wilson, Edward O., The Future of Life. New
> York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2002.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

R p j
February 25th 07, 08:36 AM
"Mike Vandeman" > wrote in message

> Can I possibly be a worse troll? It sucks to be me.

If you say so.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home