PDA

View Full Version : New and Confused!

Jenneration
February 25th 07, 11:47 AM
Hey there!

I basically joined this forum because I want to learn how to unicycle.
I've never tried it, but have always wanted to.

It's almost impossible to find a used one where I live. So I'm
wondering, is it really worth it to put $170 into a new one when I
don't know if I'll ever be able to do it? Or do y'all know another way
I could get a used one for cheaper?

And what's easier to learn on - a 20" or 24" ? I don't know what I want
to use it for yet, wether for trails or tricks.

Please - any advice super welcome!

--
Jenneration
Jenneration's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14430

kington99
February 25th 07, 12:38 PM
Yeah it's a dilema all new unicyclists face. Have you looked in to
finding circus skills workshops or conventions near where you live?
Maybe you can have a go and see if it's for you before you have to buy
your own. Also there might be someone on here who lives near you who
can loan you one. If you want a cheap uni to learn on ebay is good, you
can get a no-brand 20" with shipping for $70, or a torker LX for $95.
Sure it won't be great quality, but it will do while you learn and
figure out what kind of riding you want to do, then you can sell it off
to a learner and upgrade.

I was lucky enough to pick up an old uni in a charity shop for £20, I
started riding it offroad and when I decided it was what i wanted to do
I bought myself a muni, and eventually gave the old 20" to a unicycle
club.

--
kington99

Dave

Jenneration
February 25th 07, 01:20 PM
thejdw wrote:
> Can you walk?

Yes I can walk ... awesome, that's encouraging! haha

Hazmat wrote:
> Hows it goin buddy, 1st of all welcome to the forums, 2nd of all i think
> a 20" is good for learning. Cause i learned on this unicycle
> http://tinyurl.com/2z9f8k which i sold shortly after cause i wanted 2
> upgrade to a Torker LX which i still have. :D As for wasting $170 do
> you have a link of what unicycle you want and whereabouts do you live.

There are only 2 types of unicycles that I can buy instore here (which,
they have to order anyways) - one being a Norco for $150 +tax CDN and
the other is ... I forget ... but it's $115. Buddy at the shop said
it's worth the extra money to buy the norco because of it's seat - that
if I rode the cheaper one, the seat my turn me off of ever wanting to
ride. But he is a sale's person, so I never know if they just want my
money or if they're being honest.

kington99 wrote:
> Yeah it's a dilema all new unicyclists face. Have you looked in to
> finding circus skills workshops or conventions near where you live?
> Maybe you can have a go and see if it's for you before you have to buy
> your own. Also there might be someone on here who lives near you who
> can loan you one. If you want a cheap uni to learn on ebay is good, you
> can get a no-brand 20" with shipping for $70, or a torker LX for $95.
> Sure it won't be great quality, but it will do while you learn and
> figure out what kind of riding you want to do, then you can sell it off
> to a learner and upgrade.
>
> I was lucky enough to pick up an old uni in a charity shop for £20, I
> started riding it offroad and when I decided it was what i wanted to do
> I bought myself a muni, and eventually gave the old 20" to a unicycle
> club.

We definitely don't have a circus skills shop or anything of the like
here. I can't say where I live, but it's a small place.

As for the ebay idea - I've been looking. But I prefer to buy straight
from Canada and the only ones from there that seem suitable will cost
me just as much as a new one once you add in the shipping costs.

Would you say it's worth getting a no-brander for that much? And what's
a Torker LX?

----

thanks everyone for your advice and comments lol... I know it can be
annoying with newbies and their Q's! really appreciate this!

--
Jenneration
Jenneration's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14430

iridemymuni
February 25th 07, 01:22 PM
where do you live??

and yes having a comfy seat does help.

and if you can walk you CAN ride. it doesnt take very long youll get
the hang of it, JUST KEEP YORU WEIGHT ON THE SEAT when you are learning
to ride.

--
iridemymuni

maker of the happy birthday threads

ive got:

John Childs, Klaas Bill, Kris Holm, Samia, Harper, Bryan Stevens,
Wobbling bear, Mike Swarbrick, Cathwoood, Scott Wallis, Mikefule,
Raphael (jjuggle), James Potter, ITEMNO530, DogBowl, Yoopers,
Habbywall, Terry and Jagur.
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

Hazmat
February 25th 07, 01:27 PM
I've never heard of a norco b4 :confused: :confused: They mostly want
your money to make a sale. Well my "cheap" one lasted me a year or 2 b4
i sold it. So if i were you. Try finding somewhere where they sell
torkers. I gurantee it's value for money. If you can't find them
anywhere. May i suggest E-Bay. :D :D

Again, Welcome to the forums. If you have any questions, feel free to
ask me or anyone else on this friendly forum. :D :D

Hoped this helped
Take care
Hazmat

--
Hazmat

1 weird and unusual greek cypriot australian :D
Hazmat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13828

thejdw
February 25th 07, 01:48 PM
Jenneration wrote:
> Yes I can walk ... awesome, that's encouraging! haha!

Well since you can walk, you can learn to unicycle! :)

--
thejdw

dunawan wrote:
> why are koxx one unicycles so costly???
> forrestunifreak wrote:
> > They are expensive because they use only the finest soft drink cans.

:D :D 2 unispins landed!:D :D
>>don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<
thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230

kington99
February 25th 07, 02:14 PM
Jenneration wrote:

> As for the ebay idea - I've been looking. But I prefer to buy straight
> from Canada and the only ones from there that seem suitable will cost
> me just as much as a new one once you add in the shipping costs.
>
> Would you say it's worth getting a no-brander for that much? And what's
> a Torker LX?

Ah sorry I didn't know you were in Canada

As for the two unis in your local store, a bad saddle can really put
you off unicycling, if you're always uncomfortable you're never going
to enjoy it. However the cheaper one may be ok to learn on, give them
both a squeeze and see if the cheap one is atall soft, if it feels
spongey it will probably be ok, it it just feels like hard plastic I
would probably avoid it and go with the norco.

Don't worry about asking questions, it's what these forums are for!

--
kington99

Dave

Jenneration
February 25th 07, 02:22 PM
Hazmat wrote:
> I've never heard of a norco b4 :confused: :confused: They mostly want
> your money to make a sale. Well my "cheap" one lasted me a year or 2 b4
> i sold it. So if i were you. Try finding somewhere where they sell
> torkers. I gurantee it's value for money. If you can't find them
> anywhere. May i suggest E-Bay. :D :D
>
> Again, Welcome to the forums. If you have any questions, feel free to
> ask me or anyone else on this friendly forum. :D :D
>
> Hoped this helped
> Take care
> Hazmat

merci :)

Yeah, norco is like the only brand I can find out here lol. So that's
odd I guess. I'll check dealers for the Torker - looks pretty good. (I
checked ebay, and with shipping, I could buy a brand new norco here for
the same price, and I'd get warranty. So $150 is still looking like the
price).

----------------

do most people concur that 20" is better to learn on?

--
Jenneration
Jenneration's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14430

Jenneration
February 25th 07, 02:23 PM
iridemymuni wrote:
> where do you live??
>
> and yes having a comfy seat does help.
>
> and if you can walk you CAN ride. it doesnt take very long youll get
> the hang of it, JUST KEEP YORU WEIGHT ON THE SEAT when you are learning
> to ride.

Canada - besides that, I don't like to say, sorry :)
Thanks for the tip!!

--
Jenneration
Jenneration's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14430

Victory
February 25th 07, 02:39 PM
Jenneration wrote:
> Canada - besides that, I don't like to say, sorry :)

If you happen to live near the Ontario/US/Quebec border I can help you
learn and let you use one of my uni's to get you started just send me a
PM.

If you're not near that keep your eye on the left column to see where
ppl are located... most uni riders are always looking to recruit new
riders to help them get started.

-Anthony

--
Victory

'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/urg5z)
your restless heart won’t win ‘cause you take but you don’t give
and you’ll keep moving on until you learn what love is
~ sanctus real
Victory's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10062

Jenneration
February 25th 07, 03:32 PM
Y'all have been great - what a friendly place (so far =P ) - thanks for
all the replys!

If anyone has any advice or tips for this newbie, doesn't matter if it
's about buying, the unicycle itself or riding ... please do tell!

--
Jenneration
Jenneration's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14430

sp4rky-m4rky
February 25th 07, 03:57 PM
spending lots of money on a unicycle is not a waste :D
you will be able to ride it, you can do anything if you put your mind
to it
good luck

--
sp4rky-m4rky
sp4rky-m4rky's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14270

dudewithasock
February 25th 07, 04:02 PM
Jenneration wrote:
> Y'all have been great - what a friendly place (so far =P ) - thanks for
> all the replys!
>
> If anyone has any advice or tips for this newbie, doesn't matter if it
> 's about buying, the unicycle itself or riding ... please do tell!

Hello, welcome to the fora!

I'm not sure how shipping works out in Canada, but 'Unicycle.com'
(http://www.unicycle.com) is where I've got all 3 of my unicycles.
Great service and speedy deliveries.

As for general tips, have a look at the link in my signature. I kept a
day-by-day journal of my first 35 days learning to unicycle, and it's
helped many newbies learn the sport. It's fairly detailed, well-written
(in mine and others' opinion), and there are tips at the end of each
entry.

Good luck!
-Matt

--
dudewithasock

'My Unicycling Journal'
officially ended.
:cool:

James_Potter wrote:
> Save a cherry, pop a collar!
dudewithasock's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10900

harper
February 25th 07, 05:54 PM
Have you tried 'DARREN' (http://www.bedfordunicycles.ca/) in Toronto?
Give him a call and he will steer you the right way. As a distributor,
he has to be one of the most helpful folks I know for setting people up
with the right ride.

I would go for a cheapo 24" to learn on if you're at least 5 feet tall.
It will be more versatile than a 20" after you learn. Avoid Savage
saddles and the original Torker saddles which were designed for
children. Finding used unicycles for a reasonable price is not that
easy.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

Finally made it to my (n+1)th post....* TOTALLY AWESOME!!!*

><> Unicycle For the Chafing <><

ntappin
February 25th 07, 07:21 PM
I've got a used learner uni that just needs some new pedals, I'm in
Ottawa so if you aren't too far off then it shouldn't be too hard for
you to get ahold of it. The Norco unis are overpriced and not really
all that worth it. I had one and so did a friend of mine so I have
payed the money for it before. Also if you are looking for a cheap new
one, then most bike shops can actualy order one for you for 130
Canadian, plus tax which comes out to about 150, so you save about 20
bucks. Its basically the same as the Norco just its chrome instead of
black so at least its a bit cheaper.

O and stay away from ordering from Unicycle.com, it costs way to much
to get unicycles across the border, you are pretty much always going to
be better off just getting the unicycle from in Canada, or at most from
Ebay.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)

Beener
February 25th 07, 07:28 PM
I had a Norco 20".
Lets all remember that if you haven't heard of NORCO, then you don't
know who Kris Holm's is.
HE WAS A NORCO FACTORY RIDER FOR ABOUT 100 YEARS. The Norco 20 or 24
would do you fine for now. The seat is a KH knock off and is still a
really great seat. The pedals are fine and the wheel is quite good as
well. You would have to get way better than BEGGINER to need an
upgrade. I am in Kingston, Ontario, so if your close, look me up.

--
Beener

Unicycle for Pic-a-Pop!!
Beener's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3817

mornish
February 26th 07, 12:04 AM
harper wrote:
> Have you tried 'DARREN' (http://www.bedfordunicycles.ca/) in Toronto?
> Give him a call and he will steer you the right way. As a distributor,
> he has to be one of the most helpful folks I know for setting people up
> with the right ride.
>
> I would go for a cheapo 24" to learn on if you're at least 5 feet tall.
> It will be more versatile than a 20" after you learn. Avoid Savage
> saddles and the original Torker saddles which were designed for
> children. Finding used unicycles for a reasonable price is not that
> easy.

+1

darren is great, helpful, and nice.

--
mornish

aim:kiloornish
email: mornish AT gmail DOT com

Evan wrote:
> Buy my wheel damnit

Jenneration
February 26th 07, 01:11 AM
I emailed Darren; actually, I've his name well spoken of a lot! Seems
promising!

--
Jenneration
Jenneration's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14430

abbabibble
February 26th 07, 01:45 AM
Darren is cool.

Also, as said before, spending a good amount on a unicycle is not a
waste.
Get something decent that will last you a while.

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Matt.

uni_jim wrote:
> isn't [the superbowl] like a giant dip bowl in mexico filled with salsa
> where everyone brings a bag of tostitos and digs in?;) :D

'BUY SOME SHIRTS, DAMMIT!' (http://www.zazzle.com/abbabibble)
*PANIC BUTTON-->':eek: '
(http://www.geocities.com/abbabibble/mrtsb.html)*
abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

dudewithasock
February 26th 07, 02:09 AM
abbabibble wrote:

> Get something decent that will last you a while.

Read: 'Don't get a CX.'

--
dudewithasock

'My Unicycling Journal'