PDA

View Full Version : cocker vs bike

maxcarriere
February 27th 07, 10:20 PM
DO NOT TELL ME TO USE THE SEACH FEATURE ! :) Alright the question
simply is.. can someone on a cocker keep up or even win vs a bike on a
road ? Im not talking about a pro biker.. I mean a ok cocker'er vs a
normal biker. Could the coker win ? If not, would a geared one do the
thing ? thanks.

-max

--
maxcarriere
maxcarriere's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13867

uni.rider.13
February 27th 07, 10:24 PM
maxcarriere wrote:
> DO NOT TELL ME TO USE THE SEACH FEATURE !

I assume you don't want us to tell you to use the sea*_r_*ch feature
either?;)

--
uni.rider.13

Some people call me nuts for riding, other people call me no
nuts.:confused:

My 'Gallery!!!!!!!!!!!!!' (http://tinyurl.com/y3k57x)

Hey!!! Go and see my new website. 'unicycleaustin.741.com'
(http://unicycleaustin.741.com/index.html)
uni.rider.13's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13011

rustycogs
February 27th 07, 10:30 PM
I am just an average joe bike rider. My average road speed is 22mph over
50 miles, 20mph over 100 miles and close to 28mph over 5 miles, all
under 3000 feet of elevation gain. So can a uni go that fast? I will be
learning to ride a uni this week so I can't comment.

Rusty

PS

Did you try the search ........

--
rustycogs
rustycogs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14420

semach.the.monkey
February 27th 07, 10:32 PM
maxcarriere wrote:
> DO NOT TELL ME TO USE THE SEACH FEATURE ! :) Alright the question
> simply is.. can someone on a cocker keep up or even win vs a bike on a
> road ? Im not talking about a pro biker.. I mean a ok cocker'er vs a
> normal biker. Could the coker win ? If not, would a geared one do the
> thing ? thanks.
>

> -max

I'm still getting to grips with my new 36er, but I can say that riding
through London on a 29" wheel it is not unusual to pass other cyclists.
I know that the standard and fitness of commuters varies a lot, and I
normally get overtaken by more than I over take, but even so I'm not
that much slower than the 'average' rider.

I live with a guy that has been riding his bike in to work for over a
year now, and he still takes longer to do almost the same journey. Ok,
so he works about half a mile further away, but he also chooses to take
the cycle path and quiet roads route home, and always stops at red
lights, and doesn't arrive home totally knackered. But, still, he's a
reasonably fit guy* and over 8 miles I'm better off.

Just wait until I get some short cranks and a bit more practice on the
new Nimbus... :D

STM

* Ok, now just because I said I live with him, don't assume that I mean
he's fit in -that -kind of way!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the other cyclist that commute aren't
racing. I'm -always -racing :D

--
semach.the.monkey
semach.the.monkey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12078

ThisGuyIKnow
February 27th 07, 10:36 PM
maxcarriere wrote:
> DO NOT TELL ME TO USE THE SEACH FEATURE ! :) Alright the question
> simply is.. can someone on a cocker keep up or even win vs a bike on a
> road ? Im not talking about a pro biker.. I mean a ok cocker'er vs a
> normal biker. Could the coker win ? If not, would a geared one do the
> thing ? thanks.
>

> -max

On average, no.

If you're out with friends who are on bikes and they ride a bit slow
and you ride fast you can stay together, but when I go out for a ride
on the bike paths I rarely overtake bikes.

In a flat out race where you're both trying to go fast, the bike would
almost always win. And if there is a lot of downhill and you aren't
going to glide down it, the bike will ALWAYS win. If it's a lot of
uphill you might have a shot.

--
ThisGuyIKnow
ThisGuyIKnow's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10203

semach.the.monkey
February 27th 07, 10:40 PM
rustycogs wrote:
> I am just an average joe bike rider. My average road speed is 22mph over
> 50 miles, 20mph over 100 miles

When you look at how many people ride bikes, the fact that you know
your average speed for a 100 mile trip, I would say that puts you a peg
or two above 'Average Joe'. In percentage terms, I'd guess that less
than 5% of cyclist go on 50+ mile jaunts.

However, to put things in to context, between 20 and 45* miles on my
29"er, I average between 10 and 11 mph. I'd hope to be in the 14-15
mph bracket on my Coker, once I'm more comfortable with it.

STM

* my maximum distance in one ride to date

--
semach.the.monkey
semach.the.monkey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12078

rustycogs
February 27th 07, 11:39 PM
semach.the.monkey wrote:
> the fact that you know your average speed for a 100 mile trip, I would
> say that puts you a peg or two above 'Average Joe'.
>
> STM

Point taken, I guess I ment as far as speed, I am nothing special. I
have a KH24 arriving tomorrow and plan on getting a Coker by summers
end. This is my first real attempt at a uni but I have this wild hair
up my arse to ride a century next summer on a uni. I would love
14-15mph I was planning on 10-12mph.

Rusty

--
rustycogs
rustycogs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14420

tholub
February 27th 07, 11:40 PM
I have passed people on bikes on my 29er. I've even passed people on
bikes on my 24". But given reasonably equivalent rider strengths, a
bike will significantly outperform a unicycle on any terrain.

--
tholub

Tim Morin
February 27th 07, 11:50 PM
I don't do much riding on the streets, but I do ride the coker in the
trails. I smoke by bikers often. And I rarely see them again on my
ride (which means they aren't able to catch up. This is with 175mm
cranks, so I'd imagine that with some shorter cranks, a 36 wheel oughta
be able to go pretty friggin fast.

--
Tim Morin
Tim Morin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11002

rustycogs
February 28th 07, 12:09 AM
People ride for different reasons so here is my statement based on what
I have read;

two riders of equal desire and abilities, the bike will always win.

man law

--
rustycogs
rustycogs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14420

zfreak220
February 28th 07, 12:16 AM
cocker? did koxx one come out with a 36"er? :p

--
zfreak220

howdigetsogood wrote:
> man i used to think scooters were totally lame, but after that 'video'
> (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57071), oh wait
> nevermind i still do.
zfreak220's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11948

joemarshall
February 28th 07, 12:24 AM
rustycogs wrote:
> I am just an average joe bike rider. My average road speed is 22mph over
> 50 miles, 20mph over 100 miles and close to 28mph over 5 miles, all
> under 3000 feet of elevation gain. So can a uni go that fast? I will be
> learning to ride a uni this week so I can't comment.

You're obviously a fit road biker, those are okay club time trial
speeds, nothing like average bike rider speeds. Average speed for a
normal cyclist will be way less than that. Most cyclists I see here are
going at approx 10mph maximum, I see a few going up to about 14mph, and
every so often see them going at 20+.

If you're pretty fit on a coker, you can go 12mph for sustained
periods. Most normal fit coker riders can go 10mph for ages. Against
someone of equal fitness the bike rider will always win.

But if it's just mates who aren't keen cyclists, you're just popping
out for a bike ride, if you ride cokers a lot, you can usually keep up
no problems.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

steveyo
February 28th 07, 12:53 AM
rustycogs wrote:
> I am just an average joe bike rider. My average road speed is 22mph over
> 50 miles, 20mph over 100 miles and close to 28mph over 5 miles, all
> under 3000 feet of elevation gain.

Those ain't no average speeds. If you're doing those speeds without
drafting, those are above average bike *racing* speeds.

--
steveyo

steveyo

...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

Check out my 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)

steveyo
February 28th 07, 01:30 AM
steveyo wrote:

> rustycogs wrote:
> > I am just an average joe bike rider. My average road speed is 22mph over
> > 50 miles, 20mph over 100 miles and close to 28mph over 5 miles, ...
>
> Those ain't no average speeds. If you're doing those speeds without
> drafting, those are above average bike *racing* speeds.

In fact, I submitted a 'thread over at the road bike forums'
(http://tinyurl.com/2x6jve) where the responders suggest that you could
be riding with -at least- a domestic pro team with those speeds. Maybe
you should check the settings on your bike computer.:eek:

But please (seriously) do take up and enjoy unicycling. You'll love
it.:)

--
steveyo

steveyo

...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

Check out my 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)

rustycogs
February 28th 07, 03:56 AM
steveyo wrote:
> In fact, I submitted a 'thread over at the road bike forums'
> (http://tinyurl.com/2x6jve) where the responders suggest that you could
> be riding with -at least- a domestic pro team with those speeds. Maybe
> you should check the settings on your bike computer.:eek:
>
> But please (seriously) do take up and enjoy unicycling. You'll love
> it.:)

You know I didn't think of that, the draft, my journal does not break
out group rides. So solo times would be maybe 15-25% less, dunno. I am
heading out on Thursday solo, I will take notes.

--
rustycogs
rustycogs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14420

steveyo
February 28th 07, 04:00 AM
rustycogs wrote:
> You know I didn't think of that, the draft, my journal does not break
> out group rides. So solo times would be maybe 15-25% less, dunno. I am
> heading out on Thursday solo, I will take notes.

Still, it sounds like you're a monster, not average.

--
steveyo

steveyo

...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

Check out my 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)

cathwood
February 28th 07, 09:26 AM
On my coker I can go faster than my son on his bicycle. But if I want to
go really quickly, I'll take the car.

--
cathwood

Cathy

Hazmat
February 28th 07, 01:02 PM
cathwood wrote:
> On my coker I can go faster than my son on his bicycle. But if I want to
> go really quickly, I'll take the car.

I'd agree with you on this. Most days i clock between 30-35km/h on my
coker. I don't know about my MTB speed. But it must be pretty fast. :D

--
Hazmat

1 weird and unusual greek cypriot australian destined to be different :D
Hazmat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13828

sp4rky-m4rky
February 28th 07, 04:08 PM
rustycogs wrote:
> I am just an average joe bike rider. My average road speed is 22mph over
> 50 miles, 20mph over 100 miles and close to 28mph over 5 miles, all
> under 3000 feet of elevation gain. So can a uni go that fast? I will be
> learning to ride a uni this week so I can't comment.

how often do u cycle and what bike are you using? no way can you
average those speeds

--
sp4rky-m4rky
sp4rky-m4rky's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14270