PDA

View Full Version : Memory Foam Saddle?

smcmorrow
February 28th 07, 02:31 PM
Hey, I was just wondering if anybody had ever used memory foam on their
saddle? I just got a memory foam bed and its the most comfortable thing
ever, so I think it would be really comfy. I don't know about prices or
weight, but tell me what you guys think.

Seamus

--
smcmorrow

\"It's knot gonna make it!\" -threeinchtire
smcmorrow's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10881

abbabibble
February 28th 07, 02:54 PM
i was in the process of trying to get a couple samples of said memory
foam to use in a saddle, but they never actually sent it to me.

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Matt.

uni_jim wrote:
> isn't [the superbowl] like a giant dip bowl in mexico filled with salsa
> where everyone brings a bag of tostitos and digs in?;) :D

'BUY SOME SHIRTS, DAMMIT!' (http://www.zazzle.com/abbabibble)
*PANIC BUTTON-->':eek: '
(http://www.geocities.com/abbabibble/mrtsb.html)*
abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

Harley
February 28th 07, 03:04 PM
smcmorrow wrote:
> Hey, I was just wondering if anybody had ever used memory foam on their
> saddle? I just got a memory foam bed and its the most comfortable thing
> ever, so I think it would be really comfy. I don't know about prices or
> weight, but tell me what you guys think.
>
> Seamus

jrdugued did an article on this not all that long ago and there is lots
of feedback re: the use of memory foam both pro's and cons in that
artical

--
Harley

Always remember: With patience and perseverance you can **** a hole
through a rock.
Harley's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11821

Chris.James
February 28th 07, 07:22 PM
i have heard it freezes at really high temperatures, so it turns to a
rock
dont quote me on that though

--
Chris.James

"Thats my favorite thing about unicycling, I can eat oreos while
riding!" ~Me

dforbes wrote:
> Well, boys and girls, this is what separates us from the gods; Kris goes
> riding and has to worry about landing on naked ladies - you and I have
> to watch we don't land in dog poop.....
Chris.James's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14072

jrdugueod
February 28th 07, 07:58 PM
I do not think memory foam would be good for saddles. You need support
off the base and memory foam would just collapse down. I have it on my
bed and it is okay there.

--
jrdugueod

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!"
jrdugueod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12054

jl0r
February 28th 07, 08:24 PM
I have used memory foam in a saddle. I got a good sized chunk of the
foam used in mattresses from a friend of a friend's wife who worked at
a factory... you get the idea.:rolleyes:

The foam felt super soft and was plenty thick. The problem with it, was
that when I actually sat on it, it compressed totally flat.

--
jl0r
jl0r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4497

Danni
February 28th 07, 08:29 PM
Do not use memory foam. I have tried it, and it sucks. You sit on it and
it compresses to nothing. When it freezes around -1C here, it turns
rock hard. Jrduegod (or something) made a custom saddle the a closed
cell foam. Find the thread and do what he did.

--
Danni

leo wrote:
> Without cocks you wouldn't even have a family forum.

'Pile Driver' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXflM7xVLs) 'Jack Ass'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6U1xH6MtNM)
'Russian Climber'
(http://tinyurl.com/p6vnc) 'Urban Ninja Part 1'
(http://tinyurl.com/2m5o2h) 'Part 2'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9nVENReGBY)
'-->Trials Uni For Sale!'
Danni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12990

johnfoss
February 28th 07, 08:49 PM
I think the basic knowledge is this:

Memory foam = good for whole body support, bad for crotch-only support

I think it needs a lot more surface area to do what it's designed for.
With a unicycle (or bike) seat, you want support on certain areas but
not others (the midline for instance). The best seats will offer the
support where you need it but not put too much pressure on all the
other areas.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view

smcmorrow
February 28th 07, 11:06 PM
Sounds like it wouldn't be anything to invest in. I didn't think about
the support in some ares thing and it makes sense now.

Thanks guys
Seamus

--
smcmorrow

\"It's knot gonna make it!\" -threeinchtire
smcmorrow's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10881

BluntRM
March 1st 07, 07:51 PM
I ordered samples from TempurPedic before and was sent no less that
30lbs of spam/junk mail, before I was finally taken off their mailing
list. Save a tree...

--
BluntRM

'
Marxist Internet Archive' (http://www.marxists.org/)

'Unicycle for Class Consciousness' (http://tinyurl.com/yykmgo)
BluntRM's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12994

Calves
March 2nd 07, 09:15 PM
I have two saddles with memory foam and I have revised one a few times
to get a good comfortable set-up. The foam comes in many different
firmness / softness ratings and it is very important to get the right
one. My first attempts were too firm and my current saddles are about
right. They do freeze easy though but that is only a factor for a
minute or so and then your body heat warms them up. I have never had a
problem with the boys being on fire like I used to get. I am doing
rides of 1-2 hours in the saddle all the time. I find my saddles are
way way more comfortable than the orgional KH ones.

I have an '07 KH saddle now too but I haven't given it a test to
compare it to my saddles. Maybe in the next few weeks.

--
Calves
Calves's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13913

john_childs
March 2nd 07, 10:52 PM
Calves wrote:
> I have an '07 KH saddle now too but I haven't given it a test to compare
> it to my saddles. Maybe in the next few weeks.

With the new KH Freeride saddles now available I don't think there is
much need to explore the memory foam and other alternative foam
options. The Fusion Freeride foam is comfy and shaped well. The most
comfortable saddle for long road rides that I've used so far. Better
than any of the modified saddles I've made so far including the air +
foam saddles I've made.

I did the 33 mile Chilly Hilly ride last weekend. It was the first
long ride on my new Fusion Freeride foam. I finished the ride with my
butt feeling much better than it has in past years doing the same
ride.

My saddle is the KH Freeride foam on a Miyata style carbon base. It
has a little more curvature in the saddle than the stock KH Freeride
saddle. I'm going to play around with the CF base to reduce the
curvature and see if that makes it even better.

I don't want the Fusion Freeride to stop the innovation and new ideas
in foam saddle technology. But it does raise the bar from where it
was.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com