PDA

View Full Version : Keyway loose on a DX hub, don't know what to do?

skrobo
March 1st 07, 10:29 PM
my keyway in my DX hub is loose, whatever that means
when I move the cranks(they move like 5mm) it is obvious that that is
what it is.
is there any easy way to fix it?
can I possibly weld the hub to the axle w/o messing anything
up/weakening it toooo much?
is it possible to press them out w/o a real press?
i have a DRILL press
a vise (broken ATM)
drills
i have access to bearing pullers

just any ideas on how to fix it permanently and quickly?
i don't mind the hub not coming apart again... ever... except the
cranks from the axle.
well
it sucks, i can feel it A LOT when i'm riding. should I send it in for
warranty? (that would suck BAD!!)

I think im going to treat myself to a KH in a few months, but for now i
want this fixed. Please be serious and only post useful information.

--
skrobo

><> Unicycle For Christ <><

-last edited by \"elvisunifreak\" at 8:35 pm -
skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272

Joe2005
March 2nd 07, 02:19 AM
If it's anything like my KH hub then your pretty much screwed get a new
hub. Because the hub, "shell," and, "Axel," are different material
[aluminum and steel (which means unless you have acess to a Friction
Stirr Welding machine you can't weld them together.)]

Most likely what you did is work the key back and forth in the
aluminum, shoving it around and making the keyway bigger...Buy a new
hub or uni. <I would pick uni.<

--
Joe2005

*come to the dark side* we have cookies!
Joe2005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13692

Spencer Hochberg
March 2nd 07, 02:29 AM
People have had issues with keyway slop with profiles. Maybe search for
that and see what they did. I think I heard about people using JB weld
or something to fix it.

--
Spencer Hochberg

'BC wheel movie.'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56195) Watch
it.
'Bedford Unicycles' (http://BedfordUnicycles.ca)
AIM: SpencerHochberg
Email: Litldude2 (at) aol (dot) com
Spencer Hochberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12659

skrobo
March 2nd 07, 04:56 AM
hmm
jbweld doesn't seem possible to be strong enough.
I think the whole thing is steel, but i'm not sure

--
skrobo

><> Unicycle For Christ <><

-last edited by \"elvisunifreak\" at 8:35 pm -
skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272

Spencer Hochberg
March 2nd 07, 05:21 AM
I dont know if this applies to a torker hub but here is John Childs' fix
of the keyway slop in his profiles. 'link' (http://tinyurl.com/2adzch)

--
Spencer Hochberg

'BC wheel movie.'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56195) Watch
it.
'Bedford Unicycles' (http://BedfordUnicycles.ca)
AIM: SpencerHochberg
Email: Litldude2 (at) aol (dot) com
Spencer Hochberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12659

tholub
March 2nd 07, 06:10 AM
I used metal epoxy to fix the keyway slop in my Profile setup. It
hasn't gotten particularly hard use since then, maybe a dozen rides or
so, but it's held so far.

--
tholub

Unicaw89
March 2nd 07, 06:21 AM
If your talking about what I think you are, does the crank wobble like
theres space in between the splines? What I did on one of my old Dxes
is just put it in a vise and tried to make the hole close uyp a lil.
Like where the side bolt is, I smashed that in to close it up to make a
tighter fit...

--
Unicaw89

CODY [/B]FREAKING[B] WILLIAMS
'PAINFUL UNI VID!!! <-----its a vid, click it:rolleyes: '
(http://tinyurl.com/yundmf)
'RenegadeJuggling.com ' (renegadejuggling.com)'Koxx-one.com'
(koxx-one.com)

Dumpweed wrote:
> your to hard on ur toys i think its time for u to take up a new hobby
> like watching tv
Unicaw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13531

harper
March 2nd 07, 07:38 AM
The axle is hard and the key is soft. Is the hub also keyed? It's
probably comparably soft, too. Can you pull the key and bend it
slightly so it binds in the keyway(s)? You would need a drift punch to
put it back in but it would be tight if the axle didn't restraighten it
too much.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

skrobo
March 2nd 07, 02:40 PM
harper wrote:
> The axle is hard and the key is soft. Is the hub also keyed? It's
> probably comparably soft, too. Can you pull the key and bend it
> slightly so it binds in the keyway(s)? You would need a drift punch to
> put it back in but it would be tight if the axle didn't restraighten it
> too much.

wouldn't it just bend back then?
eh, i guess you know much more about it than I do, but that is what it
seems. Cody, it is DEFINITELY not that, the cranks do do that a little
bit, but this is a lot, and both cranks move when it moves.

--
skrobo

><> Unicycle For Christ <><

-last edited by \"elvisunifreak\" at 8:35 pm -
skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272

Joe2005
March 2nd 07, 06:03 PM
Neaver thought of the JB weld or metal epoxy, learn something everyday.
About being strong enough, what do you have to lose?

You might try roughing up the surface with some really coarse sandpaper
first to get some extra grip.

--
Joe2005

*come to the dark side* we have cookies!
Joe2005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13692

Borgschulze
March 3rd 07, 12:50 AM
JB Weld is extremely strong, I have used it to hold stripped pedals in
place, which lasted about a month of hopping up curbs and such.

I have also used JB Weld to seal a gas tank, which lasted about 6
months, then developed a very small leak.

--
Borgschulze

http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/
Borgschulze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13501

harper
March 3rd 07, 02:10 AM
Ah. The hub is aluminum. Can you cut some soda can shims that will fit
the worn keyway in the aluminum hub? then you could drift the key back
in with the shim on the hub side to make it tight.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

Google