PDA

View Full Version : The 10 skill levels of street.

skilewis74
March 2nd 07, 04:15 AM
I have never seen or heard of one existing but I found this
one.http://www.eenwiel.nl/index.php?menuid=25&pageid=37
I did my best at getting it into English with the help of a couple of
different online translators. The questionable parts and the ones I
couldn't figure out are in red.

Level 1
• Rolling hop off a curb
• Rolling hop up a curb
• Ride down a 2-set of stairs
• 180 hop twist (statically)

Level 2
• Rolling hop off 2-set
• Ride down a 4-set
• 180 rolling hop twist
• Tire grab (statically)

Level 3
• Rolling hop off 4-set
• 180 hop twist off a 2-set
• Tire grab off 2-set
• Ride down a 6-set
• Backwards rolling hop
• Crankgrab without the jump
• Seatwrap (statically)
• No footer (statically)

Level 4
• Rolling hop off a 6-set
• Backward rolling hop off a curb
• No footer (mobile)
• Shifty
• Grind a rail/ledge for 1 meter
• 180 unispin (statically)

Level 5
• Backward rolling hop off a 2-set
• 180 hop off a 4-set
• Shifty off a 4-set
• Rolling hop off a 3-set with right or left foot forward
• Rolling hop up a 3-set
• A rail grind
• 180 unispin (mobile)

Level 6
• 180 hop to the right off a 6-set
• 180 hop to the left off a 6-set
• Rolling hop off a 4-set
• 360 hop off a 2-set
• No-footer off a 2-set
• 180 unispin off 2-set (statically)
• Crankflip (statically/mobile)
• 360 unispin (statically)

Level 7
• Backward rolling hop off a 4-set
• 180 unispin off a 2-set (mobile)
• Crankflip off a 2-set
• Driving jump concerning 4-set gone
• Forward rolling back-crankflip
• A long rail grind

Level 8
• Backward rolling hop off a 6-set
• 180 hop left and right off a 6-set
• 360 hop left and right off a 6-set
• Crankflip off a 4-set
• 180 unispin off a 4-set
• Backward rolling Crankflip of 2-set
• Backward rolling 180 off a 2-set
• 360 unispin off a 2-set
• rail grind down a 6-set
• Backward rolling back-crankflip
• Backward rolling forward-crankflip

Level 9
• Crankflip off a 6-set
• Backward rolling forward-crankflip off a 4-set
• 180 unispin of 4-set
• Unispin crankflip off a 2-set
• 180 crankflip off a 2-set
• 360 unispin off a 2-set

Level 10
• Backward rolling hop off a 6-set
• 360 hop off a 6-set
• Backward rolling crankflip off a 6-set
• 180 unispin off a 6-set
• 180 unispin crankflip off a 4-set
• 180 crankflip off a 4-set
• 360 unispin off a 4-set
• 360 unispin crankflip off a 2-set

--
skilewis74

ntappin
March 2nd 07, 04:38 AM
I like how that doesn't have anything bigger than a 6 set. Although lots
of people do bigger sets I don't really think that they should be a
requirement of street. It is more of a tweak to a trick than a trick in
itself.

All in all they look pretty good. Still there are probably more level
tens in street than in the standard list but this is because most of
the tricks are just combinations of smaller ones so I don't really
think you can compare the two lists.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)

skilewis74
March 2nd 07, 04:41 AM
ntappin wrote:
> ...so I don't really think you can compare the two lists.

I agree on that.

A 180 uni spin on the standard list is a 10.

Edit: how about the parts in red?

--
skilewis74

ntappin
March 2nd 07, 04:43 AM
skilewis74 wrote:
> I agree on that.
>
> A 180 uni spin on the standard list is a 10.
>
> Edit: how about the parts in red?

They all look right to me, but I think level seven is supposed to be a
handrail. Level six is probably up a four set.

Also we should get one of the street aficionado's in here to put in the
proper name for some of those tricks, like treflip and backflips and
the like. The whole 180 unispin crankflip thing just makes it more
annoying to read.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)

skilewis74
March 2nd 07, 04:56 AM
ntappin wrote:
> They all look right to me, but I think level seven is supposed to be a
> handrail. Level six is probably up a four set.

The level 8 rail is the only one where it actually had "hand" in the
translation, I felt it was obvious. But what about the differences
between the grinds in levels 5 and 7?

I think you are right about the 4-set.

ntappin wrote:
> The whole 180 unispin crankflip thing just makes it more annoying to
> read.

But keep the laymans' descriptions.

--
skilewis74

Hazmat
March 2nd 07, 05:04 AM
I don't see pirouette anywhere on that list?? :D Unless there is another
word for it. :D :D

--
Hazmat

1 weird and unusual greek cypriot australian destined to be different :D
Hazmat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13828

ntappin
March 2nd 07, 05:07 AM
Ahh I see what you mean. Maybe they really do mean just a long rail,
seems kind of silly though. Maybe they mean a sloped rail?

The one that kind of gets me is • Driving jump concerning 4-set gone

I'm assuming it means a rolling hop something of a four set but I don't
know if thats up or down.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)

abbabibble
March 2nd 07, 05:10 AM
like it.

i'll go with this.

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Matt.

uni_jim wrote:
> isn't [the superbowl] like a giant dip bowl in mexico filled with salsa
> where everyone brings a bag of tostitos and digs in?;) :D

'BUY SOME SHIRTS, DAMMIT!' (http://www.zazzle.com/abbabibble)
*PANIC BUTTON-->':eek: '
(http://www.geocities.com/abbabibble/mrtsb.html)*
abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

ntappin
March 2nd 07, 05:26 AM
abbabibble wrote:
> like it.
>
> i'll go with this.

Me to, I'm level 5.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)

skilewis74
March 2nd 07, 05:44 AM
ntappin wrote:
> Ahh I see what you mean. Maybe they really do mean just a long rail,
> seems kind of silly though. Maybe they mean a sloped rail?

Maybee.

ntappin wrote:
> The one that kind of gets me is • Driving jump concerning 4-set gone
>
> I'm assuming it means a rolling hop something of a four set but I don't
> know if thats up or down.

Sorry, forgot to put that one in red. I think it's up. compare it to
levels 3 & 4

--
skilewis74

skilewis74
March 2nd 07, 05:48 AM
TRANSLATION 1
Level 3

Riding leap of a 4-set off
180 hoptwist of a 2-set finished
Tire grab of a 2-set finished
furrow landlord of a 6-set afrijden
Riding leap (backward)
Crank put on an edge (crankgrab without to tie jump)
Seatwrap (statically)
No footer (statically)

Level 4

Riding leap of a 6-set off
Riding leap of a curb off (Backward)
No footer (riding)
Shifty
A rail/ledge of 1 meter put down gravel
180 unispin (statically)
Level 5

Rolling hop want to put down gravel of a 2-set off (backward)
180 hops from a 4-set finished
Shifty of a 4-set off
Riding leap of a 3-set off with right or left foot to in front
Riding leap over a 3-set away
A rail 180
unispin (riding)

Level 6

180 hops quarrel quarrel quarrel to right of a 6-set off
180 hops to links of a 6-set off
Riding leap of a 4-set off
360 hops from a 2-set finished
No-footer of a 2-set off
180 unispin of a 2-set off (statically)
Crankflip (statically/riding)
360 unispin (statically)

Level 7

Riding leap of a 4-set off (backward)
180 unispin of a 2-set off (riding)
Crankflip of a 2-set off
Riding leap over a 4-set away
Crankflip (backward) (forward ride and the crank to behind freak out)
A hand rail of arbitrary large put down gravel

TRANSLATION 2
Level 3
• Rolling hop off 4-set
• 180 hop quarrel of 2-set finished
• Tire grab of 2-set finished
• Forwards of 6-set depart
• Driving jump (reverse)
• Crank stall on a randje (crankgrab without to link jump)
• Seatwrap (statically)
• No footer (statically)
Level 4
• Driving jump of 6-set
• Driving jump from a pavement edge (reverse)
• No footer (mobile)
• Shifty
• A rail/ledge of 1 meter gravels
• 180 unispin (statically)
Level 5

• Driving jump concerning 4-set gone
• Rolling hops of 2-set finished (reverse)
• 180 hops argue of 4-set finished
• Shifty of 4-set finished
• Driving jump of 3-set with right or linker foot forward
• Driving jump concerning 3-set gone
• A rail gravels
• 180 unispin (mobile)

Level 6
• 180 hops argue to Right of 6-set finished
• 180 hops argue to left of 6-set finished
• Driving jump of 4-set
• 360 hops argue of 2-set finished
• No-footer of 2-set finished
• 180 unispin of 2-set finished (statically)
• Crankflip (statically/mobile)
• 360 unispin (statically)

Level 7
• Driving jump of 4-set (reverse)
• 180 unispin of 2-set finished (mobile)
• Crankflip of 2-set finished
• Driving jump concerning 4-set gone
• Crankflip (reverse) (drive ahead and the crank to behind freak out)
• A hand rail of random large gravels

--
skilewis74

Unicaw89
March 2nd 07, 06:05 AM
ah if only I could backward crankflip I would be all on this list lol.
BUt I like it

--
Unicaw89

CODY [/B]FREAKING[B] WILLIAMS
'PAINFUL UNI VID!!! <-----its a vid, click it:rolleyes: '
(http://tinyurl.com/yundmf)
'RenegadeJuggling.com ' (renegadejuggling.com)'Koxx-one.com'
(koxx-one.com)

Dumpweed wrote:
> your to hard on ur toys i think its time for u to take up a new hobby
> like watching tv
Unicaw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13531

Xream-mX
March 2nd 07, 07:06 AM
skilewis74 wrote:

> Level 8
> 360 hop left and right off a 6-set
>
> Level 10
> 360 hop off a 6-set

eh.I dont get that...
btw there is on in eng
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street

--
Xream-mX
Xream-mX's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11299

Hazmat
March 2nd 07, 09:43 AM
I think this maybe what they mean. :confused:

Level 8
360 hop left and right off a 6-set
JUMPED DIAGONAL/CURVED WHILE IN A 360D ROTATION
Level 10
360 hop off a 6-set
JUMP STRAIGHT AHEAD WHILE IN A 360D ROTATION
I think that's right, i might be wrong. :confused: :confused:

--
Hazmat

1 weird and unusual greek cypriot australian destined to be different :D
Hazmat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13828

DustinSchaap
March 2nd 07, 12:56 PM
Hey guys, first of all I think it's pretty cool that when searching for
street levels you ended up on my page, they are existing street levels
that I got from the 'Unicyclopedia' (http://tinyurl.com/yrveuy) if you
would have scrolled down you would have found the link to the english
skill levels at the bottom at the source (bron). Mmm, the English
version of EenWiel.nl will be released in less than a month I think so
keep your eyes open!

--
DustinSchaap

FOUNDER OF EENWIEL.NL (\"HTTP://WWW.EENWIEL.NL\")

DustinSchaap
March 2nd 07, 12:58 PM
skilewis74 wrote:

> • A long rail grind

The translation is very far off there, it says "Grind a handrail of any
size".

--
DustinSchaap

FOUNDER OF EENWIEL.NL (\"HTTP://WWW.EENWIEL.NL\")

skianduniaddict
March 2nd 07, 01:04 PM
im lvl 4 horay

--
skianduniaddict

unifreak7 wrote:
> skianduniaddict kicks my ass at street
> -Shaun JOhanneson
skianduniaddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11868

unifreak7
March 2nd 07, 02:35 PM
That's not a good list. Um, blind 3 spins down a 6 same as normal. And
way is anything static on that list. Street is NOT static. Everything
static should be gotten rid of. Plus, they shouldn't label the flip
tricks, It should be like the mounts in the regual skill level. (Do 1
flip trick) (Do 3 flip tricks), by level ten be like (Do 50 flip
tricks) like that. Keep it more broad, Then maybe levels down, (be able
to do 5-7-9-11-15 flips tricks down a 3-4-5-6) blah blah. Don't name
the exact trick and what to do down it. It should be more loosely
based. Plus where would manny pads come into play, or tech grinds, or
footplants (still cool if done right). Street is a bit too much to
cover in a list in my opinion. You could make flip trick 10 levels but
not street.

-Shaun Johanneson

--
unifreak7

http://www.unicyclist.com
unifreak7's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6137

ntappin
March 2nd 07, 02:40 PM
If you don't like the list then don't follow it, either that or make
your own. Its not like it is a strict doctrine for all street riders to
follow, it just gives a fun list of things that might help people get
some motivation.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)

unifreak7
March 2nd 07, 04:06 PM
No worries about me following lists, I like to think I've come up with
what to do on my own. I just think street shouldn't be structured. The
more it is structured the less appealing it will seem to nonriders.
More kids/teens want an escape from structure in their sport. That's
why skating is so popular as well. It's a break from the normal. You
say to anyone not riding "Oh i'm level 6 street riders." Sounds really
lame. If people want motivation, let them watch one of many street vids
out there now, see what to try to do, they shouldn't need a list to
help them along.

-Shaun Johanneson

--
unifreak7

http://www.unicyclist.com
unifreak7's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6137

cruisecontrol
March 2nd 07, 04:10 PM
i agree

this level stuff is dumb, i dont think it should be for any type of
unicycling. There is way to much out there to list, so just ride and
love it.

you dont see skateboarding and bmx'ing with skill levels...

jkohse

--
cruisecontrol
cruisecontrol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10970

johnfoss
March 2nd 07, 06:06 PM
If we think back to the original reasons for the USA skill levels (which
came before the IUF ones), I think one of the main intents was to help
people figure out what things to try next. If you look at it from that
point of view it could be more useful.

Also the USA started out with only four levels, in 1979 or so. The list
of 10 was made in the mid-80s. Street is so new, if you want a workable
system it's probably best to focus on the lower levels first, and see
what lots of riders thind of them before worrying too much about the
top ones. Some people will have tricks they *like,* others will have
tricks they *don't like,* and others will have tricks they can't do
nearly as easily as the others in the list.

When you have a lot of feedback from riders, especially from riders
trying to learn the skills, it will give an idea of which things are
harder than which others, and they can be moved around to be in the
appropriate order. Or you can make harder or easier variations of the
tricks to keep them in the same place.

Street is so new, I'd recommend keeping it simple for now. As somebody
mentioned above, you don't want to close the box on how people think of
Street moves. It should be clear that what's on this list are just a
few of the more common moves. Riders should always be encouraged to
think up new ideas.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view

Blegas78
March 2nd 07, 06:12 PM
The freestyle skill levels obvioulsy don't include everything that the
best freestyle riders pull off, so it's not like this list has to have
everything in it. Though some people might proclaim that they are a
certain level rider, I think it is good for beginners to look at this
list as they progress, because it gives them an idea as to what they
should work on next. I remember that I was excited to become a level 5
or 6 rider for the freestyle list, but then gave up trying to get
anything after that and started to find my own style. Looking at that
list really helped me to know what I should work on next.

Edit: oops, John posted right before me..

--
Blegas78

Nothing is better than than eternal happiness, and a ham sandwich is
better than nothing, therefore a ham sandwich is better than eternal
happiness.

"Rock Out Loud Yo!" -kid from Paper Bag Over the Head advertisement
Blegas78's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5293

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home