PDA

View Full Version : How high did I jump?

Joe2005
March 2nd 07, 07:06 PM
Ok so I was riding around in my drive way today, to set up the scene, we
have _two_ concrete steps leading up to our door, the total height is
18" and the total width is 13" So I used my awesome math skills and
found the distance of the hypotenuse which is roughly 22.2".

So my question: Is this considered jumping 18" or 22.2"?

p.s. i finally mustered up enough courage to jump off a picnic table
onto concrete. <and i landed it:cool:.

:edit. Whoops I forgot to mention I did manage to get jump up them:).

--
Joe2005
Joe2005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13692

ivan
March 2nd 07, 07:17 PM
If you want to know how high, then it's obviously 18".

--
ivan

Read me! thank you.
ivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12759

Joe2005
March 2nd 07, 07:20 PM
So you don't take the width into account it's strictly vertical height?

--
Joe2005

*come to the dark side* we have cookies!
Joe2005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13692

ivan
March 2nd 07, 07:27 PM
Well, not if you measure the height of the jump.

You could say that you jumped 18" vertically and 13" horizontally, but
usually people just leave out the horizontal one, because it rarely
matters that much. You can still mention it if you want, of course.

--
ivan

Read me! thank you.
ivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12759

Joe2005
March 2nd 07, 07:28 PM
Thats pretty much what I figured but I found the jump much more
difficult then onto a picnic table bench which is only 1/2" lower so I
thought I'd ask.

--
Joe2005

*come to the dark side* we have cookies!
Joe2005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13692

ivan
March 2nd 07, 07:33 PM
It also depends on the style of jumping. I suppose a rolling hop would
be of about equal difficulty for both of them, but a sideways hop would
be more difficult with the steps, because you'd be able to stand right
next to the bench for it, but would have to jump over the lower step
and so clear more horizontal distance. It all depends.

--
ivan

Read me! thank you.
ivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12759

mscalisi
March 2nd 07, 07:37 PM
You jumped 33! (18" height + 13" width +two steps)

Joe2005 wrote:
> Ok so I was riding around in my drive way today, to set up the scene, we
> have _two_ concrete steps leading up to our door, the total height is
> 18" and the total width is 13" So I used my awesome math skills and
> found the distance of the hypotenuse which is roughly 22.2".
>
> So my question: Is this considered jumping 18" or 22.2"?
>
> p.s. i finally mustered up enough courage to jump off a picnic table
> onto concrete. <and i landed it:cool:.
>
> :edit. Whoops I forgot to mention I did manage to get jump up them:).

--
mscalisi

><> Unicycle for (reducing the) Buddha <><
mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

Joe2005
March 2nd 07, 07:39 PM
ivan wrote:
> It also depends on the style of jumping. I suppose a rolling hop would
> be of about equal difficulty for both of them, but a sideways hop would
> be more difficult with the steps, because you'd be able to stand right
> next to the bench for it, but would have to jump over the lower step
> and so clear more horizontal distance. It all depends.

It was a sidehop.

--
Joe2005

*come to the dark side* we have cookies!
Joe2005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13692

Joe2005
March 2nd 07, 07:40 PM
mscalisi wrote:
> You jumped 33! (18" height + 13" width +two steps)

Exactly what I was thinking :D:D:D:D:D

--
Joe2005

*come to the dark side* we have cookies!
Joe2005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13692

ivan
March 2nd 07, 07:47 PM
mscalisi wrote:
> You jumped 33! (18" height + 13" width +two steps)

Yay for maths!

Joe2005 wrote:
> It was a sidehop.

The height is still 18". If you gapped 1.4 metres and unto a curb, you
wouldn't say that you jumped higher than Ryan Atkins.

--
ivan

Read me! thank you.
ivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12759

Joe2005
March 2nd 07, 07:49 PM
ivan wrote:
> Yay for maths!
>
> The height is still 18". If you gapped 1.4 metres and unto a curb, you
> wouldn't say that you jumped higher than Ryan Atkins.

Excellent point.

--

ivan wrote:
> Yay for maths!

Did you say that because he added them wrong?

--
Joe2005

*come to the dark side* we have cookies!
Joe2005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13692

ivan
March 2nd 07, 07:53 PM
Joe2005 wrote:
> Did you say that because he added them wrong?

That and because the addition is completely meaningless. Your
hypothenuse approach was correct and made sense in terms of
displacement, his calculation just gives a completely irrelevant and
meaningless number.

Btw, congratz on the hop.

--
ivan

Read me! thank you.
ivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12759

Joe2005
March 2nd 07, 07:58 PM
Ivan wrote:
> his calculation just gives a completely irrelevant and meaningless
> number.
>
> Btw, congratz on the hop.

Well I thought it was hilarious especially because the picnic tables
around my house are 29" high. So by his math I own those picnic tables
:D.

--
Joe2005

*come to the dark side* we have cookies!
Joe2005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13692

Joe2005
March 2nd 07, 08:01 PM
Didn't ryan atkins have videos posted on unicycle.tv? I can't seem to
find them. And when I try and look at his gallery here it won't open.
:(

--
Joe2005

*come to the dark side* we have cookies!
Joe2005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13692

ivan
March 2nd 07, 08:02 PM
Check out Kris Holm website, sponsored riders section.

--
ivan

Read me! thank you.
ivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12759

unifreak7
March 2nd 07, 08:16 PM
You jumped 18" like every is saying. When you get into rolling a good
form is jumping from a spot as far back as the object is high. 34"
tall, jump 34" back.

-Shaun Johanneson

--
unifreak7

http://www.unicyclist.com
unifreak7's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6137

Joe2005
March 2nd 07, 08:19 PM
Right now I can only rolling hop 9".

Shaun Johanneson wrote:
> When you get into rolling a good form is jumping from a spot as far back
> as the object is high

And I already knew that, but thanks anyways.

--
Joe2005

*come to the dark side* we have cookies!
Joe2005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13692

chester1234
March 2nd 07, 08:22 PM
You could just say that you jumped up a set that was 18" high. Then
people would know that you must have jumped side-ways too. If it
wasn't a set you would say a ledge and people would know what you were
talking about.

--
chester1234

<< Add me to msn if you wish
chester1234's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13698

skrobo
March 2nd 07, 08:34 PM
ok, so i dropped 9' (not really, keeping the math easy)
YAY
no wait, that was down a set so that would be another 12' over, and on
the thought I jumped 15 feet WOOOOH YEAHHHHH
just kidding

sorry, but it is how HIGH or FAR the gap is, not both unless it is like
3' high and 5' over or something, but then you would have to be ryan
atkins to get it.
haha

it only matters on both of them when it is stupidly hard(for most
people) to get that far and that high, but you do both at the same
time, and even then, you say I jumped 3' high and 5' over. hypotenuses
take TOO MUCH math and it makes you seem like a nerd.

just a thought.

--
skrobo

><> Unicycle For Christ <><

-last edited by \"elvisunifreak\" at 8:35 pm -
skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272

Joe2005
March 2nd 07, 08:40 PM
Ok so I jumped 18" up and 13" over.

Everyone happy?

--
Joe2005

*come to the dark side* we have cookies!
Joe2005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13692

skrobo
March 2nd 07, 09:39 PM
Joe2005 wrote:
> Ok so I jumped 18" up and 13" over.
>
> Everyone happy?

yes i think so
my post was unnecessary :)

--
skrobo

><> Unicycle For Christ <><

-last edited by \"elvisunifreak\" at 8:35 pm -
skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272

Joe2005
March 2nd 07, 10:46 PM
Why does using math to solve real life problems make me a nerd?
18300

|Filename: boese058.gif |

Joe2005

*come to the dark side* we have cookies!
Joe2005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13692

gerblefranklin
March 3rd 07, 07:46 AM
Joe2005 wrote:
> Why does using math to solve real life problems make me a nerd?
> 18300

Because that is not a real life problem. What you are solving is called
a waste of time. You landed it, it was fun, now get over it and go ride
some more, or look around for some problems that are actually worth
solving.

A real life problem is something like:
You need to know the length of the 2x10" wood supports for the flight
of stairs that you are building. You already know the height and
horizontal offset of the stairs.
or...
You have a piston engine with a red zone of 8,000 rpm. You need to know
the maximum acceleration of the piston at any time in order to
calculate the minimum gas pressure in the cylinder to run the engine.
Yes, the pythagorrean theorem comes into play there.

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

mornish
March 3rd 07, 05:22 PM
whats a hypontenuse?

--
mornish

aim:kiloornish
email: mornish AT gmail DOT com

Evan wrote:
> Buy my wheel damnit

Chris.James
March 3rd 07, 05:26 PM
mornish wrote:
> whats a hypontenuse?

Hypoteneuse /|
------> / |
/ |
/___|

--
Chris.James

"Thats my favorite thing about unicycling, I can eat oreos while
riding!" ~Me

dforbes wrote:
> Well, boys and girls, this is what separates us from the gods; Kris goes
> riding and has to worry about landing on naked ladies - you and I have
> to watch we don't land in dog poop.....
Chris.James's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14072

Jerrick
March 3rd 07, 08:00 PM
18314

|Filename: hypotenuse.jpg |

Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)

ivan
March 3rd 07, 08:02 PM
Chris.James wrote:
> Hypoteneuse /|
> ------> / |
> / |
> /___|
>
> oh it wont work, the hypoteneuse is the diagonal on a triangle

Whatever that is supposed to mean.

A hypotenuse of a right triangle is its largest side. Pythagorean
identity a^2 + b^2 = c^2, where c is the hypotenuse and a and b are
the two other sides. I don't know why I'm explaining this, you guys
should be able to look it up yourselves.

Edit: Jerrick beat me to it.

--
ivan

Read me! thank you.
ivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12759

Jerrick
March 3rd 07, 08:17 PM
Yeah, the pythagorean theorem is really basic stuff.

I dont even see how you could take the length of the hypotenuse and use
that for the height of your jump. It doesn't even make sense to use it
that way.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)

ivan
March 3rd 07, 08:20 PM
You could measure the jump with your hypothenuse and its angle with the
ground, except it's a bit silly and overcomplicated.

--
ivan

Read me! thank you.
ivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12759

Jerrick
March 3rd 07, 08:26 PM
ivan wrote:
> You could measure the jump with your hypothenuse and its angle with the
> ground, except it's a bit silly and overcomplicated.

hehehe.

"I just did a killer gap!!"
"how big!?"
"Well, the angle from lift off to mid point in the air was 68 degrees,
this proved for a fairly high hop, but didn't cover much distance, and
with calculations from contact point a, to point b, my total distance
travelled was26 inches!!!"
"Oh... *walks away*"

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)

ivan
March 3rd 07, 08:40 PM
Jerrick wrote:
> hehehe.
>
> "I just did a killer gap!!"
> "how big!?"
> "Well, the angle from lift off to mid point in the air was 68 degrees,
> this proved for a fairly high hop, but didn't cover much distance, and
> with calculations from contact point a, to point b, my total distance
> travelled was26 inches!!!"
> "Oh... *walks away*"

Sounds like something I'd read on xkcd.com

On crank-bending machine: No good. First of all, it would be extremely
pricey. Apart from the costs of making and operating the machine, you'd
need to break quite a lot of unis, at least five of each model to
eliminate a possibility of a defected crankset skewing the results. A
big waste.

Second, the test is simply stupid. No trials rider repeatedly slams his
uni against the ground at the exactly same angle with a constantly
increasing force. The test doesn't model a real-life situation and
therefore the results are irrelevant to what you're supposed to be
testing(general strength).

So, stop whinging and accept that qu-ax rules.

--
ivan

Read me! thank you.
ivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12759

one wheely
March 4th 07, 08:06 AM
Joe2005 wrote:
> the total height is 18" and the total width is 13" So I used my
> awesome math skills and found the distance of the hypotenuse which is
> roughly 22.2".

You didn't need to work out the hypotenuse using maths, you could've
just measured it. :eek:

Assuming you measured thr other distances that you talk about.

--
one wheely

Why stroll...when you can roll?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!

BillyTheMountain wrote:
> End Bike Supremacy! Refuse to be marginalized!!
> If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem!
> *Power to the Unicyclists!! Right on!!*
one wheely's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11955

skilewis74
March 4th 07, 09:45 AM
mornish wrote:
> whats a hypontenuse?

The hypotenuse is the longest side of ANY triangle. Most of lifes
problems needing triangles to solve can be done with simpler right
triangles though. Would be quite handy in building a trials course:p

--
skilewis74

Joe2005
March 5th 07, 04:08 PM
Golly! I leave for the weekend come back and I'm deemed an idiot for
asking a question of how you measure hops. My question was answered
and you still drag it on kicking me all the way.

sorry i asked:(

--
Joe2005

*come to the dark side* we have cookies!
Joe2005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13692

ivan
March 5th 07, 05:25 PM
Joe2005 wrote:
> Golly! I leave for the weekend come back and I'm deemed an idiot for
> asking a question of how you measure hops. My question was answered
> and you still drag it on kicking me all the way.
>
> sorry i asked:(

Relax, man. No one deems you an idiot.

We're just blabbing on about nothing in particular, making jokes and
irrelevant comments. It's pretty much the spirit of the forums: help
someone out, talk about it, learn something new, make a bunch of
funnies along the way. Get used to it.

And if you still feel annoyed, then why not make a joke about us?

--
ivan

Read me! thank you.
ivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12759

Joe2005
March 5th 07, 08:08 PM
Ivan wrote:
> And if you still feel annoyed, then why not make a joke about us?

Treat others as you would like to be treated.

--
Joe2005

*come to the dark side* we have cookies!
Joe2005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13692

ivan
March 5th 07, 08:15 PM
Joe2005 wrote:
> Treat others as you would like to be treated.

I like the way you always start my name with a capital. Respect!

As for the treating thing: others don't always want to be treated the
same way as you do, so you could end up treating others badly or
inappropriately.

--
ivan

Read me! thank you.