PDA

View Full Version : Coker Ride With Goats.

Jerrick
March 2nd 07, 09:41 PM
I was laying in bed thinking, "I hope it is sunny. I hope it didn't snow
again. Please let it be sunny out!" And about 10mins later, I finally
crawled out of my bed, and stumbled over to the window. The moment of
truth was coming. I opened the blinds and couldn't see, the sun was
blinding me!!! Once my eyes adjusted to the brightness, I realized it
was a perfect sunny day, and the snow has melted off the roads and
sidewalk. So far so good!

I got dressed, called some people to let them know I was leaving
today, and looked over my route again. The route was only about
20miles, and it followed the highway. I thought it would be a perfect
and relaxing way to get to Jackie's (Goats on Unicycles) house.

I wanted to leave early, but I couldn't. I had to wait forever
for my mom to get ready, so that she could take me done to my friends
house first. I waited, and waited, and waited some more, then finally,
she was finally ready. I put my coker into the back, and climb on in
the car. Off we go!

We get to my friends (Donnie) house, and I take all my stuff out
of the car. I mainly wanted to stop at Donnie's house just to eat, pick
up a couple more snacks for the road, and get a big glass of water
before riding. None of that should of been more then just a few
minuets, but when I finally looked at the time, I was at his house for
an hour. I had to leave and start pedaling.

Off I went, directions in my pocket, camelbak filled with water,
a lunch that Sera made for me , and the extra clothes I was wearing to
stay warm. Nothing could stop me today, it was too perfect of a day to
not ride.

The route so far has been easy, it has just been a gradual
decline along heavy traffic. This lasted about half a mile, then it
went into a 9% percent grade going down. I was hopping the whole ride
would be like this. I make it down the 9% grade with plenty of
momentum, I take my first left. After taking this left turn, a car
stopped, and started to back-up, and watched me while I sped off on my
straightaway. He did stop for long though, because he was on one of
busiest streets in that area, surprised he didn't get in a wreck.

After that first left, the route was amazing. Off to my right
was a nice river that I followed for about 5 miles. To my left were
trees and bushes, combined with the river, it was a really calming
stretch of road, specially because there were no cars, and the trees
provided a bit of shade, which felt nice to ride through. I keep
following this road until I came to a bridge. Crossing the bridge I
noticed the road started to become a hill, I thought it would just be a
little hill then more straight and flat roads, I was so wrong.

I start up the hill, it wasn't too steep, but it just kept going
and going and going. After a few s shaped turns, it got steeper, and
steeper. I finally took my first little break to get some water and a
little snack. While finishing one of my granola bars, and making sure I
was still on the right road, a large red truck pulls up and just stays
there. I mount my coker and start to pedal up the steep hill, then the
guy in the truck sticks his head out of the window and asks about my
uni. I guess he used to ride about 20 years ago and was interested in
it again. I told him where to buy new unis, and what kind he would
want, so maybe we have one more of us, and one less of them.

I finally can mount again, and start up the hill. I keep going
and notice, for the last hour, I have been riding up a hill, hopefully
the rest of the route wont be so hilly. Standing up, hands pushing down
on the knees, I tried everything to help get me up the road, and none
of it helped, but I didn't want to give up, I didn't want to get off
and walk. I took a sip of water, took a big breath in, and gave it my
all for about 20mins and finally made it up the hill. Yes!!! But now I
am sweating like a pig!

I get off and take off my sweater, I had two shirts underneath
that, one being just a regular T-shirt, and the other an under armor
shirt, the kind that is really thin and stretchy, but keeps you warm.
It reminds me of lycra, but I wanted it off. Stripping off all my
shirts, I hear a noise. I look behind me and see a dog running at me,
but luckily the owner was out and she called the dog back. It made me
chuckle. I put my regular shirt and my sweater back on, I could already
feel the improvement of removing that one shirt.

Remount and keep going. The road looked flat, but it was still
slowing climbing in elevation, but luckily I had one small stretch of
down hill, but it only lasted for 5mins. At the bottom of my small
hill, I take a left to get onto a road named Monroe. A two laned road,
no shoulders, and a speed limit of 60. Yet again, this road looked
flat, but it was also just a long steady climb that lasted an hour.
Luckily the scenery was nice. ON my right you could see a beautiful
snow capped mountain range. On my left, just acres and acres of snowy
fields, and beyond that, rolling hills with trees scattered along them,
and with the effect the clouds had on the sun, both sides looks like
wonderful paintings. I kept watching the scenery as I road, and would
stop looking when I had to move to another side of the road to let a
car pass me, then back to looking at the mountain range, but that
didn't last too long either. I had my first encounter!

Along Monroe street, none of the houses had fences or anything,
which meant, if a dog wanted to chase me, it was gonna chase me, and
that's exactly what happened. The dog was a tiny little fat, furry dog,
and I realized it was scared of me on my coker. It would bark and bark
and bark, but never get close to me, and when it did a little, I
swerved at it, and it would run back off the road. The little dog
chased me for only a few minuets before it decided to give up and trot
back home.

After my little dog encounter, I took a right on my next road.
Again, this one was flat, but still a gradual incline. By now I was
realizing that my tire felt sluggish, and that when I pedalled, it felt
like I really had to push to keep the uni going. I looked down, and see
that my tire was pretty low on air. Not too bad, but it was bad enough
to slow you down, and I was almost tempted to go to a random house and
ask for a tire pump, but I choose not to.

Along this street, there some really nice, big house to drool at.
I hope to live in a house that nice someday, maybe I should start
saving up now. :) Also, along this street, a lot of school buses were
coming up and down the road. Each one filled with kids, and when they
drove by me, everyone in the bus was waving and smiling at me. I bet
none of them seen a unicycle that big before, or somebody riding one
out near that area. =p

At the end of this stretch of road, it became rolling hills, a
short, steep hill down, followed by a short steep hill going up, then
back down, and back up. It was like a little roller coaster ride, just
not as fast, and kinda tired my legs out. Luckily the roller coaster
ride stopped and I too my next left.

This left put me on a road called wild rose, and it was actually
kinda flat!!! I rode on this road for a long long time. It had the same
scenery as my other roads, with the mountain ranges on the right, and
the rolling hills and fields to my left, only thing different about
this road, was that there was the smell of animals and manure, and the
roads were covered in snow in most parts. Riding along, I got used to
the smell quickly, and the coker was handling nicely on the packed snow
and ice.

Near the end of this very long stretch of road, it started to
incline again, which I didn't mind, because it wasn't that steep of an
incline, not like on the other roads. I keep riding, then my 2nd
encounter happens. To my right, there is a fenced off field, and a
black dog barking like made behind the fence. I keep riding, and the
dog keeps barking, but I didn't know the dog could get out of the
fence, but she proved me wrong once she did. She slowly started to get
closer to me, and at that exact time, another dog came running towards
me. So now I have two dog barking and coming close to me. I got off my
coker, cause I couldn't out run them going up a snowy hill.

I thought for sure the dogs were gonna attack me, or attack each
other, but once they got rather close to me, they stopped barking, and
became really friendly. I tried telling them to go home, or to just run
off, but they didn't listen. They started to follow me on my ride, one
was pure black, and the other was black and brown. The black one would
keep jumping off the road and dig his head into the snow, then run back
along side me on the road. These dogs were actually really cool.

I finally get to the end of wild rose, and take a right. Here it
turned to a dirt road, but covered in snow. It was all down hill, with
lots of sharp turns. I speed my way down the road, flying as fast as I
could, just rolling over the pot holes and having both dogs running to
keep up. I slowed down so I could check if I was still on the right
road, and I was, but I noticed the black and brown dog was no longer
with me, just the black dog.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)

Jerrick
March 2nd 07, 09:42 PM
I keep following this road for a long time, and then natures strikes. At
first it was still sunny, but tiny flakes of snow falling down. About
500 feet in front of me, I could see fog. I reach the fog and it got
really cold, really fast. Shortly after entering the fog, the snow
started to kick up, and soon it was a total white out. I couldn't see
anything in front of me, it was just white form the heavy snowfall and
the fog, but I kept riding through. Within a minuet, my clothes had
snow piling up, and collecting all over. I probably looked like a
snowman riding on top of a huge white wheel.

I finally got out of the blizzard, and could see the next road I
need to take, once getting there I took a left, followed that road, too
another left, followed that road up a hill, and took my last left. I am
now right by Jackie's house, but It was confusing, cause there is about
7 houses all with the same address, but Jackie's house was the letter
C, and I somehow got to House J. Turning around I took a different
path. Riding along, I see someone with long hair jump up and start
running. I made it to Jackie's!

I ride up, and oddly enough, well for me, it wasn't awkward at
all, it was almost like I already knew him and we were pretty good
friends already, but what sucked was, that one black dog was still
following me, and Jackie has 2 dogs, so we had to settle that. Tying up
Jackie's 2 dogs, and trying to get the black dog away, wasn't too bad,
but once me and and Jackie went into his house, the black dog went
inside too. Ugh..

18262

His house was awesome, and his mom was very nice and offered me
tea or hot chocolate right when I got in there. I choose the tea, and
it was delicious, and warmed me up really quick. After seeing Jackie's
room and hanging out at his house for a while, we decided to go ride
the trails.

The trails were nice and covered in crunchy snow, about 3-5
inches deep. It was really weird doing Muni on the cokers, but we had
lots of fun, got some good footage, and some great wrecks from me. I
dont know how long we were out, but it was pretty dark once we got in,
and only 20 degrees out too. The mud that collected on my pants froze,
which also froze my pants.

At the end of the day, I bent a crank, warped my rim by about a
cm, slid in mud, and had great fun, so it was an awesome day and worth
the miles and miles of pure hill climbing.

Hanging out with Jackie was amazing, and I am gonna have to go
up there again once the snow melts and the trails clear up.

I was about to ride home, which would of been fun, specially
cause everything that was wet, would be ice now, my left crank was
bent, and it would of been all downhill to home, but his mom said she
would take me into town instead of me riding back, which was really
nice of her.

We are gonna be getting a vid out sometimes so you'll be able to
see everything that we tried out and then some.

|Filename: Jer-and-Dog.jpg |

Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)

Jerrick
March 2nd 07, 09:44 PM
Some pics from, we got more video then pics. lol

18263

18265

18264

18266

|Filename: Sunseting.jpg |

Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)

johnfoss
March 2nd 07, 10:14 PM
'Unicycling with goats'
(http://unicycling.smugmug.com/gallery/2479643#130093487).

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view

Jerrick
March 2nd 07, 10:17 PM
johnfoss wrote:
> 'Unicycling with goats'
> (http://unicycling.smugmug.com/gallery/2479643#130093487).

Awesome, I got to see they 3 goats he has at his house. :D

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)

JJtheunicycle
March 2nd 07, 10:45 PM
nice job jerrick! sounds like fun! i hope to get in a ride with you guys
this summer, since my grandparents live not too far away from him.

--
JJtheunicycle

skate+uni=skuni
JJtheunicycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12224

Goats_On_Unicycles
March 2nd 07, 11:37 PM
johnfoss wrote:
> 'Unicycling with goats'
> (http://unicycling.smugmug.com/gallery/2479643#130093487).

wicked!! are they not the most interesting animals?
so, yeah. awesome ride. i can't wait untill the snow melts and we all
can ride there again. here are a couple more pics...
18302
18303

Oh yeah, there's the dog Jerrick found...

|Filename: coker-ride 038_0001.jpg |

Goats_On_Unicycles

JJtheunicycle wrote:
> gib? gibba say WHAT?!? what the gib do you think i am, a gibtard?

'MY -GROOVY- GALLERY' (http://tinyurl.com/yeceup) * Unicycle
For Goats!!!!!*
Goats_On_Unicycles's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12566

The Buddy
March 2nd 07, 11:47 PM
Sounds like you both had a really good time! XD :D :D

--
The Buddy
The Buddy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13658

habbywall
March 3rd 07, 12:22 AM
So goats has a coker too?

--
habbywall

'The Best Juggling Ballz in the World!!' (http://www.gballz.com)

monkeyman wrote:
> Good post Habby. +1
habbywall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10260

James_Potter
March 3rd 07, 01:02 AM
That sounds like such a fun ride! Next time you go, invite me (:
I think you need an airfoil rim...I bent my stock steel rim so many
times, it's totally not circular at all anymore. Also, what length of
crank arms did you use?
The dog part reminded me of one time I went on an 8 mile run, and a
very friendly dog started running with me about a mile in, and stayed
with me for at least six miles, then disappeared...it was really cool.

--
James_Potter

i still believe that all you need is love...john
lennon
'*mikael atkinson*' (http://www.barefoothippie.com)
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)
*♥ Unicycle For Peace ♥*
-last edited by skrobo : today at 11:41 am.-

steveyo
March 3rd 07, 01:08 AM
Hey Jerrick - great ride and nice write-up. Even though the races I do
are uphills, I train on mostly loops where I'm guaranteed the same amt
up as down, but it looks like your ride had quite a net gain! You
sound like you're ready for some big uphill rides.

--
steveyo

steveyo

...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

Check out my 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)

Ducttape
March 3rd 07, 01:35 AM
steveyo wrote:
> Hey Jerrick - great ride and nice write-up. Even though the races I do
> are uphills, I train on mostly loops where I'm guaranteed the same amt
> up as down, but it looks like your ride had quite a net gain! You
> sound like you're ready for some big uphill rides.

This write up is Awesome and, sometime this summer I think I may be
able to ride with you guys..... I hope.... I'll try to come at the same
time as Justin! then there will be 4 of us! Maybe James can come too!

--
Ducttape

*Coker Fund:*$683.31
*Freeride Seat with shipping will cost: *$64.84
*GB4 Handle with shipping will cost:* $64.95
*______________________________________
**Total cost for stuff: *$814.15* Current Progress *697.00*/*814.15';)'
(http://www.zazzle.com/Ducttapesunicycle) ;)
Ducttape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12006

harper
March 3rd 07, 02:13 AM
Jerrick-

Nice writeup and photos. Thanks for going to all that trouble. The
title was the real grabber, though. Mikefule is going to have some
stiff competition soon.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

Goats_On_Unicycles
March 3rd 07, 03:19 AM
habbywall wrote:
> So goats has a coker too?

No. I was on my muni. I tried his though and it was soo wicked!

--
Goats_On_Unicycles

JJtheunicycle wrote:
> gib? gibba say WHAT?!? what the gib do you think i am, a gibtard?

'MY -GROOVY- GALLERY' (http://tinyurl.com/yeceup) * Unicycle
For Goats!!!!!*
Goats_On_Unicycles's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12566

Jerrick
March 5th 07, 10:57 PM
Thanks for all the comments. =p

I should do more write-ups, they are pretty fun and relaxing to do.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)

James_Potter
March 6th 07, 12:32 AM
Ducttape wrote:
> This write up is Awesome and, sometime this summer I think I may be able
> to ride with you guys..... I hope.... I'll try to come at the same time
> as Justin! then there will be 4 of us! Maybe James can come too!

MRIS UNI CONVENTION!!!!

--
James_Potter

i still believe that all you need is love...john
lennon
'*mikael atkinson*' (http://www.barefoothippie.com)
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)
*♥ Unicycle For Peace ♥*
-last edited by skrobo : today at 11:41 am.-

Ducttape
March 6th 07, 02:04 AM
James_Potter wrote:
> MRIS UNI CONVENTION!!!!

YES!!! When I get my coker I'm doing an MRIS America ride (Sorry UK
MRIS memebers) we should hold the convetion before my ride, and anyone
who wants to ride with me can! (no idea when I'm getting my coker
though, I'm currently only about halfway there, because I keep buying
stuff I don't really need but I want and have the money for)
END thread jack

--
Ducttape

*Coker Fund:*$683.31
*Freeride Seat with shipping will cost: *$64.84
*GB4 Handle with shipping will cost:* $64.95
**Total cost for stuff: *$814.15* Current Progress *697.00*/*814.15';)'
(http://www.zazzle.com/Ducttapesunicycle) ;)
Ducttape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12006

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home