PDA

View Full Version : New User

G-Wallace
March 3rd 07, 01:34 AM
hey everyone, im going to be getting a unicycle because i really like
how people use them for trials, furthermore im a noob and i have a
couple questions.

1. what would be a good SIZED unicycle for trials for a 5'6 user?
2. what would be a good UNICYCLE for the job?
3. what other important info is there for me to know at this point if
any
thanks for the help I appreciate it

--
G-Wallace
G-Wallace's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14465

The Buddy
March 3rd 07, 01:53 AM
1. If you wanna get into trials...get a 20 inch.
2. You're gonna get a lot of replies saying "Get a Torker
DX!!1!1!!"...I think.
3. Use the search feature and look up unicycle terms...and stuff...

Anyways. Welcome to the forums!!

--
The Buddy
The Buddy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13658

Ducttape
March 3rd 07, 02:00 AM
G-Wallace wrote:
> hey everyone, im going to be getting a unicycle because i really like
> how people use them for trials, furthermore im a noob and i have a
> couple questions.
>
> 1. what would be a good SIZED unicycle for trials for a 5'6 user?
> 2. what would be a good UNICYCLE for the job?
> 3. what other important info is there for me to know at this point if
> any
> thanks for the help I appreciate it

1. I'd have to say that if you want to do trials get a 20 inch.
2. on a budget Torker LX or DX, not on a budget KH 20, or a Nimbus 20
inch
3. learn about the various parts of the unicycle, and as The Buddy said
learn various terms associated with unicycling so your not lost when
talking to the more experienced members...

And again welcome to the forums, and happy riding.....

--
Ducttape

*Coker Fund:*$683.31
*Freeride Seat with shipping will cost: *$64.84
*GB4 Handle with shipping will cost:* $64.95
*______________________________________
**Total cost for stuff: *$814.15* Current Progress *697.00*/*814.15';)'
(http://www.zazzle.com/Ducttapesunicycle) ;)
Ducttape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12006

G-Wallace
March 3rd 07, 02:02 AM
ok thanks...yea i was looking at unicycles and some good ones that
caught my attention were the TORKER DX, the ONZA, and the KRIS
HOLM....but im a little fuzzy on why the TORKER is so much cheaper than
the ONZA or the KRIS HOLM, anyone know why?

--
G-Wallace
G-Wallace's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14465

Ducttape
March 3rd 07, 02:09 AM
G-Wallace wrote:
> ok thanks...yea i was looking at unicycles and some good ones that
> caught my attention were the TORKER DX, the ONZA, and the KRIS
> HOLM....but im a little fuzzy on why the TORKER is so much cheaper than
> the ONZA or the KRIS HOLM, anyone know why?

I think that it's because Torker is more of a low end beginner type
unicycle although it's on the higher end of the low end so it's more of
a medium, I also think it's because of where they are mad and
how....(anyone who seriously knows what they're talking about can
correct me)

--
Ducttape

*Coker Fund:*$683.31
*Freeride Seat with shipping will cost: *$64.84
*GB4 Handle with shipping will cost:* $64.95
*______________________________________
**Total cost for stuff: *$814.15* Current Progress *697.00*/*814.15';)'
(http://www.zazzle.com/Ducttapesunicycle) ;)
Ducttape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12006

Chris.James
March 3rd 07, 02:12 AM
Ducttape wrote:
> I think that it's because Torker is more of a low end beginner type
> unicycle although it's on the higher end of the low end so it's more of
> a medium, I also think it's because of where they are mad and
> how....(anyone who seriously knows what they're talking about can
> correct me)

i dont seriously know what i am talking about, but if you buy a DX
(around 250) you will (nearly) never need another. Very few people
break anything other than the stock pedals

--
Chris.James

"Thats my favorite thing about unicycling, I can eat oreos while
riding!" ~Me

dforbes wrote:
> Well, boys and girls, this is what separates us from the gods; Kris goes
> riding and has to worry about landing on naked ladies - you and I have
> to watch we don't land in dog poop.....
Chris.James's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14072

G-Wallace
March 3rd 07, 02:55 AM
ok thanks for the replys. id still like some more opinions if theres any
other models that would be good so keep the information coming please
and thanks

--
G-Wallace
G-Wallace's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14465

The Buddy
March 3rd 07, 03:02 AM
Just read all the threads about the Torker DX, Onza and KH. You'll
probably find a LOT more information, plus a whole lot more about them.

--
The Buddy
The Buddy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13658

Ducttape
March 3rd 07, 03:05 AM
G-Wallace wrote:
> ok thanks for the replys. id still like some more opinions if theres any
> other models that would be good so keep the information coming please
> and thanks

I guess we'll just have to keep this thread at the top then, but yeah
here's my oppinion again

_On_a_budget:_

'Torker DX' (http://www.unicycle.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=765)

'Torker LX' (http://www.unicycle.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=634)

_NOT_ON_A_BUDGET:_
'KH 20' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=799)

'Nimbus 20' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=596)

'Qu-Ax 20' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=795)

--
Ducttape

*Coker Fund:*$683.31
*Freeride Seat with shipping will cost: *$64.84
*GB4 Handle with shipping will cost:* $64.95
*______________________________________
**Total cost for stuff: *$814.15* Current Progress *697.00*/*814.15';)'
(http://www.zazzle.com/Ducttapesunicycle) ;)
Ducttape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12006

timbob1907
March 3rd 07, 03:09 AM
KH is probably the best. A dx is good if you have a small budget or are
not sure you want to really get into it. But id get a KH it is much
better in every way. Also if you have the choice like on a KH you want
cranks anywhere from 145mm to 135mm at the very least. the longer the
better for trials.

--
timbob1907

fluxusmaximus wrote:
> It looks like some deranged mad-man going berserk with a heavy metal
> object.

(\_/)
O 0
(><)This is bunny. Copy bunny into your signature, help him on his way
to world domination.
'CarbonFibreSeat!'
timbob1907's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13425

G-Wallace
March 3rd 07, 03:21 AM
ok guys thanks alot that pretty much covers everything i need to know

--
G-Wallace
G-Wallace's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14465

Ducttape
March 3rd 07, 03:23 AM
G-Wallace wrote:
> ok guys thanks alot that pretty much covers everything i need to know

no problem.... it was fun helping you and drooling over all the
unicycles that I was looking at....

--
Ducttape

*Coker Fund:*$683.31
*Freeride Seat with shipping will cost: *$64.84
*GB4 Handle with shipping will cost:* $64.95
*______________________________________
**Total cost for stuff: *$814.15* Current Progress *697.00*/*814.15';)'
(http://www.zazzle.com/Ducttapesunicycle) ;)
Ducttape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12006

G-Wallace
March 3rd 07, 03:28 AM
actually theres one more thing...when i was watching some videos of
trials on youtube i noticed that the tires seemed a little
low...intentional or not?

--
G-Wallace
G-Wallace's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14465

The Buddy
March 3rd 07, 03:30 AM
Low tire pressure gives more bounce and more stability.

--
The Buddy
The Buddy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13658

Ducttape
March 3rd 07, 03:33 AM
G-Wallace wrote:
> actually theres one more thing...when i was watching some videos of
> trials on youtube i noticed that the tires seemed a little
> low...intentional or not?

it's intentional, I'm not quite sure why exactly but it seems to help
with hops and bouncing, you will want to tailor the tube to you're own
feeling. you want it to be high enough that you don't "bottom out"
(the rim touches the ground) and low enough that when you do drops you
don't get bounced off, ect.

--
Ducttape

*Coker Fund:*$683.31
*Freeride Seat with shipping will cost: *$64.84
*GB4 Handle with shipping will cost:* $64.95
*______________________________________
**Total cost for stuff: *$814.15* Current Progress *697.00*/*814.15';)'
(http://www.zazzle.com/Ducttapesunicycle) ;)
Ducttape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12006

G-Wallace
March 3rd 07, 03:35 AM
yea i was wondering how that might be done because continuous impact on
a rim obviously isnt good...but kool thanks for the feedback if i have
anymore questions ill ask

--
G-Wallace
G-Wallace's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14465

Hazmat
March 3rd 07, 04:50 AM
G-Wallace wrote:
> hey everyone, im going to be getting a unicycle because i really like
> how people use them for trials, furthermore im a noob and i have a
> couple questions.
>
> 1. what would be a good SIZED unicycle for trials for a 5'6 user?
> 2. what would be a good UNICYCLE for the job?
> 3. what other important info is there for me to know at this point if
> any
> thanks for the help I appreciate it

1. I think it depends on what you want freestyle/trials/MUni/etc
2. A Torker DX would be a good choice seeming as I have 1 and have no
expectations of selling it.
3. Do your research on the unicycle you want. For example there's a
difference between a KH and a QU-AX.

Take care
Hazmat

--
Hazmat

1 weird and unusual greek cypriot australian destined to be different :D
Hazmat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13828

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home