PDA

View Full Version : # of unicyclists in the U.S

dunawan
March 3rd 07, 07:09 AM
What is the estimated number of unicyclists in the U.S.A.?

--
dunawan

dunawan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13582

Jerrick
March 3rd 07, 07:11 AM
16743.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)

dunawan
March 3rd 07, 07:13 AM
Jerrick wrote:
> 16743.

Okay, I am going to sound really stupid but
your just joking....... right?

--
dunawan

dunawan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13582

Jerrick
March 3rd 07, 07:15 AM
dunawan wrote:
> Okay, I am going to sound really stupid but
> your just joking....... right?

Hehe, you said estimate, so I did. =p

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)

dunawan
March 3rd 07, 07:16 AM
Jerrick wrote:
> Hehe, you said estimate, so I did. =p

:D

--
dunawan

dunawan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13582

adam.mc37
March 3rd 07, 08:37 AM
2 1/2. Counting Benjaug.

--
adam.mc37

http://tinyurl.com/yrqth4 The Gallery!
adam.mc37's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14161

kington99
March 3rd 07, 10:15 AM
dunawan wrote:
> What is the estimated number of unicyclists in the U.S.A.?

What's a unicyclist? Someone who rides everyday? Someone who rides once
a month? someone who can unicycle, but doesn't? Someone who owns a
unicycle? There have been many threads on this topic in the past and
they never come to a conclusive answer because defining a unicyclist is
actually quite tricky.

--
kington99

Dave

ivan
March 3rd 07, 12:17 PM
dunawan wrote:
> What is the estimated number of unicyclists in the U.S.A.?

768

--
ivan

Read me! thank you.
ivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12759

johnfoss
March 3rd 07, 01:36 PM
kington99 wrote:
> There have been many threads on this topic in the past and they never
> come to a conclusive answer because defining a unicyclist is actually
> quite tricky.

Also because we don't know. Kington said what I usually end up saying
when journalists ask me how many unicyclists there are. These days it's
usually "how many mountain unicyclists are there?" Same answer, lower
estimated number.

My guess for the # of people in the United States who can ride a
unicycle:
1,000,000. Most are not active.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view

Émile Mathieu-B.
March 3rd 07, 02:00 PM
johnfoss wrote:

> My guess for the # of people in the United States who can ride a
> unicycle:
> 1,000,000. _*Most*_are_*not*_active_.

I agree with that. I think it's maybe the 1/4 of them who still riding
ore maybe less than that

--
Émile Mathieu-B.
Émile Mathieu-B.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14466

headstone
March 3rd 07, 06:10 PM
Yeah, simply learning to ride is actually pretty popular. The stuff that
we do is weeeird.

--
headstone
headstone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13637

BluntRM
March 3rd 07, 06:58 PM
First: Define "Unicyclist" as mentioned above and then allow for a scale
of 1 to 10 of personal relevancy towards that definition (Not at all, a
little, somewhat, a lot; you've seen these scales).

Next: Randomly select a large population of Americans (5000+) to answer
that definition. Repeat several times to secure an average ratio and
use this to reasonably guess the number of unicyclists in the country.

--
BluntRM

[RIGHT]'
Marxist Internet Archive' (http://www.marxists.org/)
BluntRM's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12994

skrobo
March 3rd 07, 07:19 PM
BluntRM wrote:
> First: Define "Unicyclist" as mentioned above and then allow for a scale
> of 1 to 10 of personal relevancy towards that definition (Not at all, a
> little, somewhat, a lot; you've seen these scales).
>
> Next: Randomly select a large population of Americans (5000+) to answer
> that definition. Repeat several times to secure an average ratio and
> use this to reasonably guess the number of unicyclists in the country.

will you sponsor me to do this?

--
skrobo

><> Unicycle For Christ <><

-last edited by \"elvisunifreak\" at 8:35 pm -
skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272

semach.the.monkey
March 3rd 07, 07:36 PM
johnfoss wrote:
> Also because we don't know. Kington said what I usually end up saying
> when journalists ask me how many unicyclists there are. These days it's
> usually "how many mountain unicyclists are there?" Same answer, lower
> estimated number.
>
> My guess for the # of people in the United States who can ride a
> unicycle:
> 1,000,000. Most are not active.

I guess the people most qualified to answer this are the manufacturers.
If we knew how many unicycles KH, Qu-Ax, Onza, Coker, Schwin, Nimbus
etc have sold in the last 5 years then that would be a good starting
point.

I know that from the 'how many unis do you own' thread that the amount
sold would need to be divided by Pi, so that should give us a good
starting point.

Of course, there's lots of home made unicycles about, and old ones that
are still going, plus ones that have been built up from spare
components. However, I think these would probably cancel out the ones
bought with good intentions that are now rusting away in sheds after 2
weeks of failing to be ridden, as well as those which have got damaged
beyond repair.

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
semach.the.monkey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12078

benjaug
March 3rd 07, 09:12 PM
adam.mc37 wrote:
> 2 1/2. Counting Benjaug.

Is that a joke? Or just unicyclist you have seen?

--
benjaug

'My wicked awesome gallery' (www.youtube.com/user/benjaug)
unidude3 (at) yahoo (dot) com
'POST 1,000' (http://tinyurl.com/yq6hbj)
'MRIS!!' (http://tinyurl.com/2zpk87)
benjaug's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11229

dunawan
March 3rd 07, 11:09 PM
i would define a unicyclist as a person who rides a unicycle often once
a week at the least...however what i meant was "how many people in the
u.s. can ride a unicycle sucsessfully"

--
dunawan

dunawan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13582

monkeyman
March 4th 07, 03:23 AM
benjaug wrote:
> Is that a joke?

No. There really are only 2.5 unicyclists in the entire U.S.A. The
rest just fake it really well.

--
monkeyman

~Alex Brown

dan de man wrote:
> I think im in love with monkeyman
monkeyman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11455

dudewithasock
March 4th 07, 03:38 AM
monkeyman wrote:
> No. There really are only 2.5 unicyclists in the entire U.S.A. The
> rest just fake it really well.

Damn. And all this time I thought I had skills. :(

--
dudewithasock

'My Unicycling Journal'
officially ended.
:cool:

James_Potter wrote:
> Save a cherry, pop a collar!
dudewithasock's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10900

benjaug
March 4th 07, 05:03 AM
Ha! I am actually classified as a unicyclist then. I just hope I am not
the 1/2 person.:rolleyes:

--
benjaug

'My wicked awesome gallery' (www.youtube.com/user/benjaug)
unidude3 (at) yahoo (dot) com
'POST 1,000' (http://tinyurl.com/yq6hbj)
'MRIS!!' (http://tinyurl.com/2zpk87)
benjaug's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11229

GhettoSmurf
March 4th 07, 08:22 AM
you are
thats THE JOKE
your small
and not a whole person.
get it.

--
GhettoSmurf

http://willowglenbicycles.com/index.cfm[/URL]
GhettoSmurf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11929

tjheller
March 4th 07, 01:07 PM
Asking the manufacturers how many unis they've sold would be irrelevant
as well. I own 6 and I suspect that most of us HERE probably own more
than one as well. I'll bet that 3/4 of uni sales in the US are to
people like us who actually make a habit of riding, the other 1/4 to
newbs who might try a few times then quit. It takes determination to
learn to ride one of these. I've tried to convince my co-workers to try
and everyone says, "hell no". Then I pull out the 5 footer.

--
tjheller
tjheller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13578

semach.the.monkey
March 4th 07, 01:13 PM
tjheller wrote:
> Asking the manufacturers how many unis they've sold would be irrelevant
> as well. I own 6 and I suspect that most of us HERE probably own more
> than one as well. I'll bet that 3/4 of uni sales in the US are to
> people like us who actually make a habit of riding, the other 1/4 to
> newbs who might try a few times then quit. It takes determination to
> learn to ride one of these. I've tried to convince my co-workers to try
> and everyone says, "hell no". Then I pull out the 5 footer.

Well, first of all, you need to update the figures in the 'uni count'
thread. You only had 4 when you first posted in there :D

But, yes, most people do own more than one. And what that thread tells
us is that people own an average of 3.142 unicycles. So, as long as
that's taken in to account, then figures from the manufacturers could
be useful.

STM

--
semach.the.monkey