PDA

View Full Version : street/trial uni difference

cool-bananas
March 4th 07, 10:03 AM
been riding for a while now and looking aat upgrading my cheap
unicycle.
Just wondering if there is any difference in the types of unicycles
used for street/trials or just what you do with it?

--
cool-bananas
cool-bananas's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14389

iridemymuni
March 4th 07, 10:06 AM
well

a street uni wont be as strong as a trials uni.

trials involves bigger drops pretty much so they have to be stronger.
that said street unis are dawn strong too.

getting a KH 07 20" would be fantastic for either. or a koxx one trials
uni.

--
iridemymuni

maker of the happy birthday threads

ive got:

John Childs, Klaas Bill, Kris Holm, Samia, Harper, Bryan Stevens,
Wobbling bear, Mike Swarbrick, Cathwoood, Scott Wallis, Mikefule,
Raphael (jjuggle), James Potter, ITEMNO530, DogBowl, Yoopers,
Habbywall, Terry and Jagur.
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

mawesome
March 4th 07, 10:11 AM
For street you'd want shorter cranks, and a lighter wheel. But apart
from that they're the same uni.

--
mawesome

MrBoogiejuice wrote:
> I walked into B&Q at lunchtime and some old guy dressed in orange asked
> me if I wanted decking. Fortunately, I got the first punch in and that
> was the end of that.

'Team Insania!' (http://www.team-insania.com)
mawesome's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11724

cool-bananas
March 4th 07, 10:13 AM
k well that being said what do people think of a Qu-Ax 20?

--
cool-bananas
cool-bananas's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14389

mawesome
March 4th 07, 10:19 AM
It's a great, unicycle. Damn near indestructible, great for trials. The
wheel might be a bit heavy for some street, also it comes with 145mm
cranks, probably too long for most street.

--
mawesome

MrBoogiejuice wrote:
> I walked into B&Q at lunchtime and some old guy dressed in orange asked
> me if I wanted decking. Fortunately, I got the first punch in and that
> was the end of that.

'Team Insania!' (http://www.team-insania.com)
mawesome's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11724

cool-bananas
March 4th 07, 10:23 AM
how does shorter cranks = better street i dont get it? soz for all the
questions obviously ima newb

--
cool-bananas
cool-bananas's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14389

mawesome
March 4th 07, 10:26 AM
Shorter cranks are easier to spin(the wheel), also (for those of you
obsessed with weight) they'll make the wheel a few grams lighter.

--
mawesome

MrBoogiejuice wrote:
> I walked into B&Q at lunchtime and some old guy dressed in orange asked
> me if I wanted decking. Fortunately, I got the first punch in and that
> was the end of that.

'Team Insania!' (http://www.team-insania.com)
mawesome's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11724

iridemymuni
March 4th 07, 10:27 AM
for trials you want more wheel-control, with longer cranks you get
better control. but you also get slower speed.

with shorter cranks you can ride faster and i believe it is easier to
do street type trics on like crankflips.

--
iridemymuni

maker of the happy birthday threads

ive got:

John Childs, Klaas Bill, Kris Holm, Samia, Harper, Bryan Stevens,
Wobbling bear, Mike Swarbrick, Cathwoood, Scott Wallis, Mikefule,
Raphael (jjuggle), James Potter, ITEMNO530, DogBowl, Yoopers,
Habbywall, Terry and Jagur.
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

Hazmat
March 4th 07, 10:28 AM
iridemymuni wrote:
> well
>
> a street uni wont be as strong as a trials uni.
>
> trials involves bigger drops pretty much so they have to be stronger.
> that said street unis are dawn strong too.
>
> getting a KH 07 20" would be fantastic for either. or a koxx one trials
> uni.

Well the difference is
*MUni* - Would always have a off-road type tire and normally have
stronger frames then street.
*Trials* - Would have a stronger frame than street to
contemplate/absorb the jumps, drops etc.
*Street/commuting* - This is where the coker, Schlumpf and 29er are
king. These unicycles are specially made to cover distances.
*Freestyle* - This is generally used for flatland skills and routines.

Hoped this helped you in some way.
Take care
Hazmat

--
Hazmat

1 weird and unusual greek cypriot australian destined to be different :D
Hazmat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13828

cool-bananas
March 4th 07, 10:31 AM
ok then whats a good medium between the two styles, price range of about
500 Australian, i think thats around 360 odd US.

--
cool-bananas
cool-bananas's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14389

mawesome
March 4th 07, 10:38 AM
The Qu-Ax is a great unicycle, it's what I've got, but if you're going
to do more street type stuff, you might want to get a DX. I'm not sure
where you can get it apart from 'ebay' (http://tinyurl.com/3dmgxz)

There's not many other good splined unicycles(if any) you can get for
under AU$500.

--
mawesome

MrBoogiejuice wrote:
> I walked into B&Q at lunchtime and some old guy dressed in orange asked
> me if I wanted decking. Fortunately, I got the first punch in and that
> was the end of that.

'Team Insania!' (http://www.team-insania.com)
mawesome's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11724

Hazmat
March 4th 07, 10:39 AM
cool-bananas wrote:
> ok then whats a good medium between the two styles, price range of about
> 500 Australian, i think thats around 360 odd US.

When you say medium, what exactly do you mean??
If you want a good, durable, long lasting unicycle. Might i consider
the Torker DX. I have one and have no intention of selling it. ;) It's
definitely money well spent/value for money. Whereabouts in Oz are you
from??

--
Hazmat

1 weird and unusual greek cypriot australian destined to be different :D
Hazmat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13828

cool-bananas
March 4th 07, 10:43 AM
im up on the central coast, so a torker dx ay, ill check it out, im just
curious cause ill be doing trials mixed in with some street stuff to so
need something than can handle bits of both

--
cool-bananas
cool-bananas's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14389

Hazmat
March 4th 07, 10:45 AM
cool-bananas wrote:
> im up on the central coast, so a torker dx ay, ill check it out, im just
> curious cause ill be doing trials mixed in with some street stuff to so
> need something than can handle bits of both

Then it's definitely worth the $$$ as i use mine 4 both whenever
necessary. :D :D

--
Hazmat

1 weird and unusual greek cypriot australian destined to be different :D
Hazmat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13828

DustinSchaap
March 4th 07, 10:47 AM
Unicycle.com Australia doesn't have a lot of choice, of the good brands
they've got Qu-Ax, Onza and Kris Holm. The Onza is way overpriced (only
$85 under the KH 2007) The Qu-Ax is the only one under your budget,
strengthwise it will not disapoint you, people call it quite a heavy
unicycle and I think they have a point even though it's not as heavy as
most people think.

I'm just looking at the specifications that the Australian site has,
and I saw this:

CRANKS:[/B] 154MM QUAX SPLINED CROMO CRANKS

I HIGHLY DOUBT THEY'RE 154MM CRANKS BECAUSE QU-AX DOESN'T EVEN
MANUFACTURE THEM, I THINK IT'S MORE LIKELY THEY'RE 145MM ;) IF YOU'RE
REALLY GOING FOR FLATLANDISH STREET THEN I THINK YOU MIGHT WANT TO ASK
THEM TO PUT 127MM CRANKS ON THEM, OTHERWISE THE CRANKS ARE GOOD, I USE
EXACTLY THE SAME ONES (145MM) AND HAVN'T REALLY HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH
THEM, BUT I'M NOT A VERY TECHNICAL RIDER, MORE BIG STREET.

[B]THINGS YOU WANT TO CONSIDER WHEN BUYING THE QU-AX ON UDC AUSTRALIA:
The pedals don't have replaceable pins and will lose grip pretty fast.
The cranks might be a little long for what you plan, explained above.
The saddle is a bit fat, you might want to upgrade to Nimbus gel or a
KH street.
Okay, this is weird, the Australian website still has the LUNA trials
tire on it, personally I love the LUNA but if you're a weightfreak I
suggest you get the Creepy Crawler setup which is 300 grams lighter,
the tire also lasts less long (it will be worn in 3 months ish) so are
you lazy to change your tire like me, get the Luna, if you want a bit
more grip and less weight get the CC (I will probably switch to it in
the future too).

The KH is also a very nice unicycle, definitely lighter and maybe
better for tricks like spins and stuff like that, it is also above your
budget, if you decide to save for a more expensive uni then go for this
one and not the Onza.

To give you an idea what your upgraded Qu-Ax would look like: 'MDC
upgraded Qu-Ax' (http://tinyurl.com/2rl8xe)

Suggestions for upgrades are:
Standard BMX pedals w/ replaceable pins / Odyssey JC pedals
Low profile saddle like the Nimbus or new KH
CrMo 10 spline 127mm cranks
Creepy Crawler tire

--
DustinSchaap

FOUNDER OF EENWIEL.NL (\"HTTP://WWW.EENWIEL.NL\")

president_luke
March 4th 07, 10:49 AM
I don't know why people are saying trials unicycles are stronger than
street unicycles. The drops are just as big, if not bigger than in
trials.

Crank length is all preference, but most street riders like shorter
cranks to get higher speeds and they are a bit better for flip tricks.

--
president_luke

www.team-insania.com
president_luke's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11036

DustinSchaap
March 4th 07, 10:51 AM
president_luke wrote:
> I don't know why people are saying trials unicycles are stronger than
> street unicycles. The drops are just as big, if not bigger than in
> trials.

I think they're talking about the Koxx tubular street cranks,
apperently nicer for some things but not as strong as the normal
splined cranks.

--
DustinSchaap

FOUNDER OF EENWIEL.NL (\"HTTP://WWW.EENWIEL.NL\")

cool-bananas
March 4th 07, 11:01 AM
hmmm well considering all of this id prefer just to save up an extra
$300 and get the KH insted of upgrading everything, birthday is next
month too anyway so might get an early present or somfin.

Thanks heaps ay, good to see people are helpful to newbies like myself

--
cool-bananas
cool-bananas's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14389

Hazmat
March 4th 07, 11:08 AM
cool-bananas wrote:
> hmmm well considering all of this id prefer just to save up an extra
> $300 and get the KH insted of upgrading everything, birthday is next
> month too anyway so might get an early present or somfin.
>
> Thanks heaps ay, good to see people are helpful to newbies like myself

Well we're always here to help people like yourself. So don't hesitate
to ask any questions you might have, ok buddy.

Take care
Hazmat

--
Hazmat

1 weird and unusual greek cypriot australian destined to be different :D
Hazmat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13828

DustinSchaap
March 4th 07, 11:14 AM
If you are going for the KH try to get it with the Odyssey JC pedals
because KH are suposed to come with them now and they're 10x better
than the Snafu's also I just noticed Australia ships them with 125mm
cranks, try to get them with 137mm haha, why does UDC Australia have
other specs on the same unicycles? :confused: also it wouldn't be much
trouble to upgrade the Qu-Ax or get the KH with the proper stuff, you
just send UDC a mail with the stuff you want, I'm always very picky
about cranklength and stuff like that, ask Roland from Municycle.com ;)

--
DustinSchaap

FOUNDER OF EENWIEL.NL (\"HTTP://WWW.EENWIEL.NL\")

skilewis74
March 4th 07, 11:35 AM
Hazmat wrote:
> Well the difference is
> *MUni* - Would always have a off-road type tire and normally have
> stronger frames then street.
> *Trials* - Would have a stronger frame than street to
> contemplate/absorb the jumps, drops etc.
> *Street/commuting* - This is where the coker, Schlumpf and 29er are
> king. These unicycles are specially made to cover distances.
> *Freestyle* - This is generally used for flatland skills and routines.
>
> Hoped this helped you in some way.
> Take care
> Hazmat

He's talking about street, not road.

The frames of muni and trials are the same. Like someone else said the
only diff is a street has shorter cranks.

Ask UDC they may be able to swap for the 127 mm cranks. (It looks like
they officially dont have any, but if someone requests a Hopley w/
145's, your golden)

--
skilewis74

Hazmat
March 4th 07, 11:48 AM
skilewis74 wrote:
> He's talking about street, not road.
>
> The frames of muni and trials are the same. Like someone else said the
> only diff is a street has shorter cranks.
>
> Ask UDC they may be able to swap for the 127 mm cranks. (It looks like
> they officially dont have any, but if someone requests a Hopley w/
> 145's, your golden)

Oh ok, oh is that the difference between trials and MUni. Fair enough.
:D :D

--
Hazmat

1 weird and unusual greek cypriot australian destined to be different :D
Hazmat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13828

cool-bananas
March 4th 07, 11:56 AM
DustinSchaap wrote:
> If you are going for the KH try to get it with the Odyssey JC pedals
> because KH are suposed to come with them now and they're 10x better
> than the Snafu's also I just noticed Australia ships them with 125mm
> cranks, try to get them with 137mm haha, why does UDC Australia have
> other specs on the same unicycles? :confused: also it wouldn't be much
> trouble to upgrade the Qu-Ax or get the KH with the proper stuff, you
> just send UDC a mail with the stuff you want, I'm always very picky
> about cranklength and stuff like that, ask Roland from Municycle.com ;)

my brother has those pedals on his bmx ill just take em off him, im
pretyt sure they are the same.
in regards to getting different cranks and or pedals will it cost me
the full price of the item of just the difference between the original
and the new?

--
cool-bananas
cool-bananas's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14389

Lutz
March 4th 07, 11:58 AM
I dont understand why everybody says that for street riding you need
shorter cranks. Ryan Atkins and Shaun Johanson are using complete the
same setup (137mm cranks and each of them do a complete different
style). Dan Heaton rides with 140mm cranks, and most of the french
riders are using the normal KH setup too.

--
Lutz

'POINT RACING' (http://www.pointbike.de) | 'AJATA'
(http://www.ajata.de) |

'www.einradshows.de' (http://www.einradshows.de)
'www.extremeunicycling.de' (http://www.extremeunicycling.de)

'Video' (http://www.ajata.de/2m/lutz/lutz.wmv) |
Lutz's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1752

DustinSchaap
March 4th 07, 12:01 PM
It just costs you the price difference, sometimes it's a little more
because it's extra work for the shopowner but I got my 24" KH from
Municycle.com with shorter cranks and a better saddle and only paid the
price difference for the saddle, knowing Unicycle.com they won't make a
problem of it at all.

--
DustinSchaap

FOUNDER OF EENWIEL.NL (\"HTTP://WWW.EENWIEL.NL\")

tjheller
March 4th 07, 12:49 PM
Just get a Torker LX 20 or 24. I've landed out of the back of my truck
with both of these unis and they are fine. Not expensive (100-130
bucks), look cool, have a nice crashable seat, and Torker is a lot
easier to say than "qu-ax". If you plan on being a professional
freestylemunistreet jump off the house kind of guy, then maybe you
should drop 3 od 4 hundred on one, but the reality is for most people
is that we just ride these things around and don't get too crazy.

--
tjheller
tjheller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13578

tjheller
March 4th 07, 12:50 PM
Just get a Torker LX 20 or 24. I've landed out of the back of my truck
with both of these unis and they are fine. Not expensive (100-130
bucks), look cool, have a nice crashable seat, and Torker is a lot
easier to say than "qu-ax". If you plan on being a professional
freestylemunistreet jump off the house kind of guy, then maybe you
should drop 3 or 4 hundred on one, but the reality is for most people
is that we just ride these things around and don't get too crazy.

--
tjheller
tjheller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13578

mornish
March 4th 07, 05:51 PM
Hazmat wrote:
> Well the difference is
> *MUni* - Would always have a off-road type tire and normally have
> stronger frames then street.
> *Trials* - Would have a stronger frame than street to
> contemplate/absorb the jumps, drops etc.
> *Street/commuting* - This is where the coker, Schlumpf and 29er are
> king. These unicycles are specially made to cover distances.
> *Freestyle* - This is generally used for flatland skills and routines.
>
> Hoped this helped you in some way.
> Take care
> Hazmat

I think you misunderstood.

He means street as in crankflips, grinds, stairs ect. not commuting.

--
mornish

aim:kiloornish
email: mornish AT gmail DOT com

Evan wrote:
> Buy my wheel damnit

skilewis74
March 5th 07, 12:07 AM
Hazmat wrote:
> Oh ok, oh is that the difference between trials and MUni. Fair enough.
> :D :D

Sorry my previous post was a bit unclear, I gues I was kinda tired:p.
So trials and muni are the same as far as strength goes, but in trials
you usually use a 19" rim. In muni you can use anything from trials to
36", but 24 is the most common.

Like I tried to say before a trials specific uni is the same as a
street one but for steet most preffer shorter cranks.

--
skilewis74

byza_dog
March 5th 07, 09:06 AM
hey bro, got just the thing for you, you NEED to talk to roland at the
german UDC, i am getting a custom uni from him that should be here this
week, parts ar as follows.

07 kh hub and 137mm cranks
try all pedals
07 kh rim
spokes (and wheelbuild)
luna trials tyre
tube
iron cross valve cap
koxx 1 crmo frame same as on the red devil (special price as it has a
scratch from the people who deliver it to him)
27.2 mm crmo post (black)
K1 clamp
and 07 kh street saddle
oh and red try all rim tape

all up it is costing 307 eur or 530 ish AU
i was wanting the cheaper frame but the wide flanges on the nub wont
fit so he made a great deal on the slightly scratched frame so i am
happy.

all up a great street or trials uni at an affordable price, and
shipping from there is 2 weeks ish mate's took just under 2 weeks in
QLD.

i would have got a complete uni but none offered what i was after at
the right price so i decided to go custom and still have a damn good
uni for less $$$

hope that helped somehow

--
byza_dog