PDA

View Full Version : Unicycle inventor

dunawan
March 5th 07, 01:23 AM
Is it true that the inventor of the unicycle never actually learned to
ride one?
I looked on wikipedia but i couldnt find anything about it

--
dunawan

dunawan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13582

Chris.James
March 5th 07, 02:07 AM
who are you claiming invented it? It stemmed from the penny farthing
bike.

--
Chris.James

"Thats my favorite thing about unicycling, I can eat oreos while
riding!" ~Me

dforbes wrote:
> Well, boys and girls, this is what separates us from the gods; Kris goes
> riding and has to worry about landing on naked ladies - you and I have
> to watch we don't land in dog poop.....
Chris.James's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14072

dudewithasock
March 5th 07, 02:10 AM
I can tell you that it's not this man:

http://us.codejunkies.com/images/article_images/images/Hulk_Ult_Dest_Hulk_Render.jpg][/url]

--
dudewithasock

'My Unicycling Journal'
officially ended.
:cool:

James_Potter wrote: [i]
> Save a cherry, pop a collar!
dudewithasock's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10900

zfreak220
March 5th 07, 02:12 AM
no, this predates the penny farthing i think. the inventor wanted the
most mechanically simple form of transportation. but gave up because it
was too hard to ride.

--
zfreak220

howdigetsogood wrote:
> man i used to think scooters were totally lame, but after that 'video'
> (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57071), oh wait
> nevermind i still do.
zfreak220's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11948

dunawan
March 5th 07, 02:33 AM
zfreak220 wrote:
> no, this predates the penny farthing i think. the inventor wanted the
> most mechanically simple form of transportation. but gave up because it
> was too hard to ride.

ohhh

--
dunawan

dunawan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13582

johnfoss
March 5th 07, 03:42 AM
zfreak220 wrote:
> the inventor wanted the most mechanically simple form of transportation.
> but gave up because it was too hard to ride.

Sounds like one of those inventors that doesn't actually invent things.
Or doesn't think about practicality in what he invents.

I am not aware of any record of someond designing and building any
unicycles before the penny-farthing period. Never heard of it. I think
people never considered such a thing to be possible. Not until lots of
athletic people were riding around on these front-heavy bikes did they
learn to balance on the front wheel, out of necessity if not anything
else.

But nobody in our unicycling community seems to know who did this
first. During the period (1880s to 1910 or so), there were many claims
on being the first unicyclist, which is pretty funny for the ones after
the turn of the century. Most of these claimants were entertainers, who
had a financial impetus for their claims. The first unicyclists were
probably bike enthusiasts, and may or may not have done anything with
their new skills other than show them off at bike clubs.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view

skrobo
March 5th 07, 04:22 AM
i know who invented the bc wheel!!!!
his name is cave dwelling man!!
i bet he even invented the Ultimate wheel as well. but you have to make
one of those to make a penny farthing bike anyways.

what ever... does it REALLY MATTER?
kris holm invented owning at unicycling
thats all I know.

--
skrobo

><> Unicycle For Christ <><

-last edited by \"elvisunifreak\" at 8:35 pm -
skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272

Hazmat
March 5th 07, 04:46 AM
This is what i found..:D
The most accepted theory for the unicycling appearance is that it was
found by accident when riding a penny farthing.

The penny farthing had a tendency for its small rear wheel to lift off
the ground when the rider wanted to slow down quickly. Some riders
discovered they could stay balanced with the rear wheel in the air for
a long time. They then decided that the rear wheel, frame and
handlebars were also superfluous. And so, unicycling was discovered.

There you go, enjoy
Hazmat

--
Hazmat

1 weird and unusual greek cypriot australian destined to be different :D
Hazmat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13828

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home