PDA

View Full Version : Lightest muni?

tomtrevor
March 7th 07, 12:04 PM
I've seen threads around before about 'the ultimate muni', though most
of these unis are bomb proof they seem to weigh quite a bit.

So I am just wondering what the lightest muni around is? Something that
is still quite strong though.

I find that a lighter muni helps rolling hoping distance and height,
plus it also helps with the many many hills I have to ride up.

Here is mine, it weighs just a tad over 6kg with a brake:

''
(http://imageshack.us)

--
tomtrevor

01010100 01101111 01101101 00100000 01010100 01110010 01100101
01110110 01101111 01110010
'KEEPIN' IT WHEEL' (www.mediahug.com/bikes)[i]
><>WHEEL WALK ON WATER<><
BLUEGREENORANGEBLACKPURPLEREDWHITEYELLOW
Thanks to my sponsers: my mum
'g' (http://www.google.com.au/)'o' (http://www.google.com.br/)'o'
(http://www.google.co.uk/)'g' (http://www.google.com.ni/)'l'
(http://www.google.to/)'i' (http://www.google.ch/)'n'
(http://www.google.com.mt/)'g' (http://www.google.com.na/)'s'
(http://www.google.rw/)'!'
(http://www.google.com.do/)'t'
(http://mediahug.com/bikes/?page_id=26)'o'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread)'m'
(http://www.funnyjunk.com/)''s'
(http://www.freelineskates.com/) 'R'
(http://www.tlb.org/Park-all.lowbw.mpg)'a'
(http://www.burntfaceman.com/)'n'
(http://www.adcott.net/binary/)'d'
(http://tinyurl.com/c1as)'o'
(http://www.cheese.com)'m'
(http://www.coverpop.com/whitney/index.php?var=v0)
'L'
(http://www.mediahug.com/bikes/)'i'
(http://www.virtualgravy.com/)'n'
(http://www.mediahug.com/almax/)'k'
(http://www.cheaphumor.com/)'a'
(http://www.bakedbeans.com)'g'
(http://www.joecartoon.com/)e's'
(http://www.break.com/)
tomtrevor's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12118

johnfoss
March 7th 07, 05:19 PM
Probably the Roger Davies carbons. I don't know the weight of mine
offhand, but because it has a Suzue hub, "normal" alloy cranks and
other lightweight parts, it's way lighter than a KH. Mine has a
suspension seat post on it, which adds a little weight though it's also
aluminum.

Problem with the lightest MUni? At least in my case, it doesn't fit
wide tires. I think I have a 2.1" tire on there now. A 2.6" would never
fit. In other words, light isn't everything...

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view

musketman
March 7th 07, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I used to care about weight alot. Over the last year it seems Ive
been making my uni heavier. I dont even think about weight anymore. I
just put the strongest best parts on that I can find. I dont care if
they weigh alot. Its a muni, so the more weight makes it feel like a
tank! And it rides like one aswell. Go anywhere and do anything.
Well...almost. I may look into a LM rim next. My uni weight 16.5 lbs as
it is. Its a 26" though. So with a LM rim it'll probably weight 17.5
lbs.

--
musketman

MUSKETMAN
www.unicycle.com

For Sale: Parachute, only used once, never opened, small stain
musketman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9214

tomtrevor
March 8th 07, 09:13 AM
musketman wrote:
> Yeah, I used to care about weight alot. Over the last year it seems Ive
> been making my uni heavier. I dont even think about weight anymore. I
> just put the strongest best parts on that I can find. I dont care if
> they weigh alot. Its a muni, so the more weight makes it feel like a
> tank! And it rides like one aswell. Go anywhere and do anything.
> Well...almost. I may look into a LM rim next. My uni weight 16.5 lbs as
> it is. Its a 26" though. So with a LM rim it'll probably weight 17.5
> lbs.

Yea, I think I will probably slowly make my uni heavier as I upgrade
parts, though I really like the weight of it at the moment. I find it
much better than the Qu-Ax muni. The extra few kilo's really keep you
stuck to the track making it harder to hop, but the bigger tire makes
it easier to roll over logs.

I used to want to get a LM rim but not so much anymore, I like how it
makes the tire really flat giving you more traction and bounce. I have
never used or even seen one so I dont know what it would be like, but I
can't imagine it being much better than say a KH rim that is 47mm wide.

--
tomtrevor

01010100 01101111 01101101 00100000 01010100 01110010 01100101
01110110 01101111 01110010
'KEEPIN' IT WHEEL' (www.mediahug.com/bikes)
><>WHEEL WALK ON WATER<><
BLUEGREENORANGEBLACKPURPLEREDWHITEYELLOW
Thanks to my sponsers: my mum
'g' (http://www.google.com.au/)'o' (http://www.google.com.br/)'o'
(http://www.google.co.uk/)'g' (http://www.google.com.ni/)'l'
(http://www.google.to/)'i' (http://www.google.ch/)'n'
(http://www.google.com.mt/)'g' (http://www.google.com.na/)'s'
(http://www.google.rw/)'!'
(http://www.google.com.do/)'t'
(http://mediahug.com/bikes/?page_id=26)'o'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread)'m'
(http://www.funnyjunk.com/)''s'
(http://www.freelineskates.com/) 'R'
(http://www.tlb.org/Park-all.lowbw.mpg)'a'
(http://www.burntfaceman.com/)'n'
(http://www.adcott.net/binary/)'d'
(http://tinyurl.com/c1as)'o'
(http://www.cheese.com)'m'
(http://www.coverpop.com/whitney/index.php?var=v0)
'L'
(http://www.mediahug.com/bikes/)'i'
(http://www.virtualgravy.com/)'n'
(http://www.mediahug.com/almax/)'k'
(http://www.cheaphumor.com/)'a'
(http://www.bakedbeans.com)'g'
(http://www.joecartoon.com/)e's'
(http://www.break.com/)
tomtrevor's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12118

musketman
March 8th 07, 08:10 PM
Yeah, I have a 26" Alex dx32 rim right now. That's only 38mm wide. So if
I upgrade rims I think ill go big and wide. Either a Sun Doublewide, or
the Large Marge.

--
musketman

MUSKETMAN
www.unicycle.com

For Sale: Parachute, only used once, never opened, small stain
musketman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9214

unisk8r
March 8th 07, 08:52 PM
For those in doubt about buying a LargeMarge, try finding someone who
has one, and ride it. Then decide. Or at least try to see one in
person.

--
unisk8r
unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660

MuniAddict
March 8th 07, 11:06 PM
My MUni setup weighs about 17 lbs, so that *may* be why I'm not getting
as much height on my rolling hops and especially the stair-jumps I've
been doing.

--
MuniAddict

"On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
man.")

My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b

MuniAddict
March 8th 07, 11:10 PM
tomtrevor wrote:
> I've seen threads around before about 'the ultimate muni', though most
> of these unis are bomb proof they seem to weigh quite a bit.
>
> So I am just wondering what the lightest muni around is? Something that
> is still quite strong though.
>
> I find that a lighter muni helps rolling hoping distance and height,
> plus it also helps with the many many hills I have to ride up.
>
> Here is mine, it weighs just a tad over 6kg with a brake:
>
> '[image: http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6056/uni1wo9.jpg]'
> (http://imageshack.us)

Hmmm, I don't know how it wieghs only a "tad" over 6k, as the standard
wieght of a *stock* freeride KH,either '06 or '07 is 7.05 k, *without*
the brake.

--
MuniAddict

"On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
man.")

My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b

Spencer Hochberg
March 8th 07, 11:16 PM
MuniAddict wrote:
> Hmmm, I don't know how it wieghs only a "tad" over 6k, as the standard
> wieght of a *stock* freeride KH,either '06 or '07 is 7.05 k, *without*
> the brake.

It does have a skinnier tire (2.6?) so that would lighten it a bit.

--
Spencer Hochberg

'BC wheel movie.'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56195) Watch
it.
'Bedford Unicycles' (http://BedfordUnicycles.ca)
AIM: SpencerHochberg
Email: Litldude2 (at) aol (dot) com
Spencer Hochberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12659

iridemymuni
March 9th 07, 06:11 AM
it's also the cross country model, not the stronger freeride one.

--
iridemymuni

maker of the happy birthday threads

ive got:

John Childs, Klaas Bill, Kris Holm, Samia, Harper, Bryan Stevens,
Wobbling bear, Mike Swarbrick, Cathwoood, Scott Wallis, Mikefule,
Raphael (jjuggle), James Potter, ITEMNO530, DogBowl, Yoopers,
Habbywall, Terry and Jagur.
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

Unicaw89
March 9th 07, 06:28 AM
Lightest would prolly be some custom made one out there that some hobbit
mountain unicyclist will never part with..my precious...my
precious...Yours is a pretty good weight. The stock KH mountain 24in is
7.05 kg, and the Koxx-one Track monster 24in is 6.89 kg So just over
6kg is not too bad at all.

--
Unicaw89

CODY [/B]FREAKING[B] WILLIAMS
'PAINFUL UNI VID!!! <-----its a vid, click it:rolleyes: '
(http://tinyurl.com/yundmf)
'RenegadeJuggling.com ' (renegadejuggling.com)'Koxx-one.com'
(koxx-one.com)

Dumpweed wrote:
> your to hard on ur toys i think its time for u to take up a new hobby
> like watching tv
Unicaw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13531

tomtrevor
March 9th 07, 07:48 AM
MuniAddict wrote:
> Hmmm, I don't know how it wieghs only a "tad" over 6k, as the standard
> wieght of a *stock* freeride KH,either '06 or '07 is 7.05 k, *without*
> the brake.

That uni came stock as 6.5kg im pretty sure, its the cross country
version. The pedals are a fair bit lighter than the snafus, the tire is
2.6" wide, the seat post has also being cut down about 8cm, and I don't
think it makes that much of a difference but the tube is also lighter
than the one it came with.

--
tomtrevor

01010100 01101111 01101101 00100000 01010100 01110010 01100101
01110110 01101111 01110010
'KEEPIN' IT WHEEL' (www.mediahug.com/bikes)
><>WHEEL WALK ON WATER<><
BLUEGREENORANGEBLACKPURPLEREDWHITEYELLOW
Thanks to my sponsers: my mum
'g' (http://www.google.com.au/)'o' (http://www.google.com.br/)'o'
(http://www.google.co.uk/)'g' (http://www.google.com.ni/)'l'
(http://www.google.to/)'i' (http://www.google.ch/)'n'
(http://www.google.com.mt/)'g' (http://www.google.com.na/)'s'
(http://www.google.rw/)'!'
(http://www.google.com.do/)'t'
(http://mediahug.com/bikes/?page_id=26)'o'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread)'m'
(http://www.funnyjunk.com/)''s'
(http://www.freelineskates.com/) 'R'
(http://www.tlb.org/Park-all.lowbw.mpg)'a'
(http://www.burntfaceman.com/)'n'
(http://www.adcott.net/binary/)'d'
(http://tinyurl.com/c1as)'o'
(http://www.cheese.com)'m'
(http://www.coverpop.com/whitney/index.php?var=v0)
'L'
(http://www.mediahug.com/bikes/)'i'
(http://www.virtualgravy.com/)'n'
(http://www.mediahug.com/almax/)'k'
(http://www.cheaphumor.com/)'a'
(http://www.bakedbeans.com)'g'
(http://www.joecartoon.com/)e's'
(http://www.break.com/)
tomtrevor's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12118

tomtrevor
March 9th 07, 07:52 AM
Oh yea and I also have some azonic fusion pedals that I used to ride
with, they are really light, they make the uni approximately 5.85kg
give or take 50g.

--
tomtrevor

01010100 01101111 01101101 00100000 01010100 01110010 01100101
01110110 01101111 01110010
'KEEPIN' IT WHEEL' (www.mediahug.com/bikes)
><>WHEEL WALK ON WATER<><
BLUEGREENORANGEBLACKPURPLEREDWHITEYELLOW
Thanks to my sponsers: my mum
'g' (http://www.google.com.au/)'o' (http://www.google.com.br/)'o'
(http://www.google.co.uk/)'g' (http://www.google.com.ni/)'l'
(http://www.google.to/)'i' (http://www.google.ch/)'n'
(http://www.google.com.mt/)'g' (http://www.google.com.na/)'s'
(http://www.google.rw/)'!'
(http://www.google.com.do/)'t'
(http://mediahug.com/bikes/?page_id=26)'o'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread)'m'
(http://www.funnyjunk.com/)''s'
(http://www.freelineskates.com/) 'R'
(http://www.tlb.org/Park-all.lowbw.mpg)'a'
(http://www.burntfaceman.com/)'n'
(http://www.adcott.net/binary/)'d'
(http://tinyurl.com/c1as)'o'
(http://www.cheese.com)'m'
(http://www.coverpop.com/whitney/index.php?var=v0)
'L'
(http://www.mediahug.com/bikes/)'i'
(http://www.virtualgravy.com/)'n'
(http://www.mediahug.com/almax/)'k'
(http://www.cheaphumor.com/)'a'
(http://www.bakedbeans.com)'g'
(http://www.joecartoon.com/)e's'
(http://www.break.com/)
tomtrevor's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12118

Calves
March 9th 07, 05:22 PM
I have magnesium pedals, No Tube system, no rail adaptor, and lightened
saddle (but no carbon base yet) and the weight is 6.35 kg or 13.99
pounds on a digital scale.

[image: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/144/325592005_70b419147d.jpg]

Xpedo 412 gram magnesium pedals.

[image: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/144/325592012_14ba34a93b.jpg]

Stan's No Tube system

[image: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/139/325592009_a43662b87b.jpg]

Saved the weight of the rail adaptor by cutting the foam to the shape
and angle I wanted.

[image: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/135/325592007_47159d5ecc.jpg]

The tire is the biggest place to save weight. I am thinking about
making a 2.35" x 26" wheel that would be a lot lighter and perhaps
about 1/2 inch larger diameter.

--
Calves
Calves's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13913