PDA

View Full Version : ULOCK or Cable Lock

Sanjay Punjab
August 4th 03, 09:53 AM
I currently use a Specialized Cable lock to lock up my bike for an
hour a so in mostly public areas. I plan on going to school this fall
and I may be locking my bike up for most of the day. I would like to
know which is better, a metal u-lock or cable lock? I know many would
recommend both. The problem with a Ulock is I remember owning one and
finding it difficult to securely mount it to my bike while I was
riding. I would also appreciate recommendations for brands + models
for locks that have been proven effective.

Werehatrack
August 5th 03, 01:57 AM
On 4 Aug 2003 01:53:42 -0700, (Sanjay Punjab) may
have said:

>I currently use a Specialized Cable lock to lock up my bike for an
>hour a so in mostly public areas. I plan on going to school this fall
>and I may be locking my bike up for most of the day. I would like to
>know which is better, a metal u-lock or cable lock? I know many would
>recommend both. The problem with a Ulock is I remember owning one and
>finding it difficult to securely mount it to my bike while I was
>riding. I would also appreciate recommendations for brands + models
>for locks that have been proven effective.

I'd use both, U-lock through the rear, cable securing the front to
the frame, and whichever is practical around or through some immobile
securing fixture. I have an mtb that came into my possession because
its owner (a student at a local university) discovered the necessity
for the cable through the front too late. To make matters worse, he
then discovered that he could buy a used bike for slightly less than
the cost of a complete front wheel. (Not a great used bike, but then,
the one he was riding was a Pacific.)

In my experience, the brand and model of the lock is less important
than the mere presence and diligent application of it.

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.

Google