PDA

View Full Version : headset Intergrated replacement with non

Philthy
August 4th 03, 10:03 AM
Hi,
I've got a frame kicking about the I'm building up at the moment. Only thing
I don't like is it's got an intergrated headset (OEM manufactured for Cane
Creek by Zoom YUK..) Anyway I want this out & a decent A-headset installed.
Since I don't have the tools for this (Headset press I think it is?) I was
gonna take it to the local shop.
Anyway so I like to know the process so I know whether I'm being ripped
off on the price for the work.
Is it just a case of removing the integated cups (For it is this type!) &
pressing in a new headset or will they need to do any facing, the frame is
in excellent condition.
OR could i do this myself??
Also will the height of the new headset make my steerer tube too short now
(More expense :-(
Thanks
Phil

Philthy
August 4th 03, 10:37 AM
On further examination this looks like it could be a Zero Stack headset, as
there are low level black aluminium cups on the top & bottom of the tube.
PHil

"Philthy" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I've got a frame kicking about the I'm building up at the moment. Only
thing
> I don't like is it's got an intergrated headset (OEM manufactured for Cane
> Creek by Zoom YUK..) Anyway I want this out & a decent A-headset
installed.
> Since I don't have the tools for this (Headset press I think it is?) I was
> gonna take it to the local shop.
> Anyway so I like to know the process so I know whether I'm being
ripped
> off on the price for the work.
> Is it just a case of removing the integated cups (For it is this type!) &
> pressing in a new headset or will they need to do any facing, the frame is
> in excellent condition.
> OR could i do this myself??
> Also will the height of the new headset make my steerer tube too short now
> (More expense :-(
> Thanks
> Phil

@ Greasy Chainrings.com
August 5th 03, 12:54 AM
Dave Salovesh wrote:

> In >,
> "Philthy" > opined:
>

>>Is it just a case of removing the integated cups (For it is this type!) &
>

> You can't switch types - at least not without serious machine shop work.
>
> But if it has cups it's not an inteGRATED headset, it's an inteRNAL one
> (or a classic threadless one), and those are supposed to be okay...

You could take a look through the Chris King website. They have a piece
explaining and clarifing the different types and which can be
interchanged.... I'd give you a better link but I for some reason can't
access the INternet only my local news and mail serers... hhmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home