PDA

View Full Version : what makes a triple crankset 9 or 10-speed?

Gary
March 16th 07, 03:25 PM
I haven't seen an actual explanation of that. I am speaking of Shimano
specifically.

daveornee[_21_]
March 16th 07, 06:02 PM
Gary Wrote:
> I haven't seen an actual explanation of that. I am speaking of Shimano
> specifically.
Shimano says you need 10 speed crankset to go along with their 10 speed
chain and 10 speed cassettes.
I agree that the 10 speed chain and cassette compatibility is a major
issue, but I haven't seen the major issue of a 10 speed (narrower)
chain and 9 speed crankset.
See:
http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/cycle/sac/us/en/technical_service/compatibility_charts/road_compatibility.-MainContent-0001-DownloadFile.tmp/Front%20drive%20road%20compatibility.pdf.pdf

I guess you would need to measure and evaluate the differences in
spacing and chainwheel thickness + any shifting aid differences such as
pins on the chain rings. Besides the outer dimension of a Shimano 10
speed Vs 9 speed chain being narrower, there is a profile shaping
difference as well.

--
daveornee

Hank Wirtz
March 16th 07, 06:59 PM
On Mar 16, 8:25 am, Gary > wrote:
> I haven't seen an actual explanation of that. I am speaking of Shimano
> specifically.

The main issue I've heard of is that the chain is narrow enough to
skate between the rings. I ran a 10-speed crank on an otherwise 9-
speed system for quite a while, and it never happened to me.

March 16th 07, 08:01 PM
On Mar 16, 1:59 pm, "Hank Wirtz" > wrote:
> On Mar 16, 8:25 am, Gary > wrote:
>
> > I haven't seen an actual explanation of that. I am speaking of Shimano
> > specifically.
>
> The main issue I've heard of is that the chain is narrow enough to
> skate between the rings. I ran a 10-speed crank on an otherwise 9-
> speed system for quite a while, and it never happened to me.

I did have some problems with 9spd Bontrager triple cranksets on 10
spd systems. Enough problems that I definately wouldn't recommend
them for that application. The 9spd Bontrager double cranks worked OK
with the 10spd but the 10spd cranks definately worked better.

alan.

Hank Wirtz
March 16th 07, 08:17 PM
On Mar 16, 11:59 am, "Hank Wirtz" > wrote:
> On Mar 16, 8:25 am, Gary > wrote:
>
> > I haven't seen an actual explanation of that. I am speaking of Shimano
> > specifically.
>
> The main issue I've heard of is that the chain is narrow enough to
> skate between the rings. I ran a 10-speed crank on an otherwise 9-
> speed system for quite a while, and it never happened to me.

Of course, that's 'cause I didn't have the 9sp crank/10sp chain combo
that would cause that. Duh. Nevermind.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home