PDA

View Full Version : 4th annual MP3 contest

Dan Connelly
March 21st 07, 05:26 PM
For the fourth year in a row, I'm running a game of picking winners
of professional cycling races. The goal of the contest is for it to
be very simple to play: just send me your top 3 picks for each race,
and I handle keeping score. The first race is Milan San Remo, this
Saturday.

For communication on the game, I have set up a mailing list:
http://groups.google.com/group/mp3cycling

I also have a web site, which will eventually be updated for this year's
contest (not yet):
http://mp3.djconnel.com/

To enter for Milan-San Remo, send your top 3 picks as follows, in the body
of an email:

MSR 1 Thomas Voeckler
MSR 2 Laurens Ten Dam
MSR 3 Enrico Gasparotto

send the email to: mp3_at_djconnel_dot_com <--- SEND EMAIL HERE (don't reply to this message)

where the names are pasted from CyclingNews.com (in this case,
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/mar07/msr07/?id=startlist ).

It's important the entry be formatted in this way -- the race code
tells my parser that it is reading an entry line. Otherwise it just
assumes a line is part of the virtually endless stream of junk most
emails contain in headers, attachments, etc....

If you're interested, please subscribe to the mailing list:
http://groups.google.com/group/mp3cycling

thanks,
Dan

March 21st 07, 06:10 PM
> where the names are pasted from CyclingNews.com (in this case,http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/mar07/msr07/?id=startlist).
>
> It's important the entry be formatted in this way -- the race code
> tells my parser that it is reading an entry line. Otherwise it just
> assumes a line is part of the virtually endless stream of junk most
> emails contain in headers, attachments, etc....

dumbass,

i'm in, but...

this part above, i don't understand. is it enough to have just the
names or do you need the line like it appears on the startlist ?

Dan Connelly
March 21st 07, 06:30 PM
wrote:
>> where the names are pasted from CyclingNews.com (in this case,http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/mar07/msr07/?id=startlist).
>>
>> It's important the entry be formatted in this way -- the race code
>> tells my parser that it is reading an entry line. Otherwise it just
>> assumes a line is part of the virtually endless stream of junk most
>> emails contain in headers, attachments, etc....
>
> dumbass,
>
> i'm in, but...
>
> this part above, i don't understand. is it enough to have just the
> names or do you need the line like it appears on the startlist ?

No -- just the names pasted from the start list. The reason I like the names pasted is that it avoids spelling errors, and also avoids issues of multiple
spellings of an individual's name (how many ways can one spell "Gontchar"?)

Really, all I need is the last name, unless this is ambiguous, then it generally picks the rider higher ranked by the UCI in 2004...

But, as a backup, I have a little perl routine which tries to correct spelling errors on established riders.

Dan

Donald Munro
March 21st 07, 06:35 PM
Dan Connelly wrote:
> But, as a backup, I have a little perl routine which tries to correct spelling errors on established riders.

Oh no, not another one.

March 21st 07, 06:35 PM
On Mar 21, 2:30 pm, Dan Connelly >
wrote:
> wrote:
> >> where the names are pasted from CyclingNews.com (in this case,http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/mar07/msr07/?id=startlist).
>
> >> It's important the entry be formatted in this way -- the race code
> >> tells my parser that it is reading an entry line. Otherwise it just
> >> assumes a line is part of the virtually endless stream of junk most
> >> emails contain in headers, attachments, etc....
>
> > dumbass,
>
> > i'm in, but...
>
> > this part above, i don't understand. is it enough to have just the
> > names or do you need the line like it appears on the startlist ?
>
> No -- just the names pasted from the start list. The reason I like the names pasted is that it avoids spelling errors, and also avoids issues of multiple
> spellings of an individual's name (how many ways can one spell "Gontchar"?)
>
> Really, all I need is the last name, unless this is ambiguous, then it generally picks the rider higher ranked by the UCI in 2004...

how wonderfully arbitrary. ok, my entry is in.

Dan Connelly
March 21st 07, 06:49 PM
Curtis L. Russell wrote:

> See, this is what Ricodjour was warning us about. Next he'll ask for
> your bank account number so you can receive your 'prize'.

Unfortunately the prize money is currently tied up in a bank account in Nigeria. But I'm working on that problem now.

Dan

Curtis L. Russell
March 21st 07, 07:40 PM
On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:26:21 GMT, Dan Connelly
> wrote:

>For the fourth year in a row, I'm running a game of picking winners
>of professional cycling races. The goal of the contest is for it to
>be very simple to play: just send me your top 3 picks for each race,
>and I handle keeping score. The first race is Milan San Remo, this
>Saturday.
>
>For communication on the game, I have set up a mailing list:
>http://groups.google.com/group/mp3cycling
>
>I also have a web site, which will eventually be updated for this year's
>contest (not yet):
>http://mp3.djconnel.com/
>
>To enter for Milan-San Remo, send your top 3 picks as follows, in the body
>of an email:
>
>MSR 1 Thomas Voeckler
>MSR 2 Laurens Ten Dam
>MSR 3 Enrico Gasparotto
>
>send the email to: mp3_at_djconnel_dot_com <--- SEND EMAIL HERE (don't reply to this message)
>
>where the names are pasted from CyclingNews.com (in this case,
>http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/mar07/msr07/?id=startlist ).
>
>It's important the entry be formatted in this way -- the race code
>tells my parser that it is reading an entry line. Otherwise it just
>assumes a line is part of the virtually endless stream of junk most
>emails contain in headers, attachments, etc....
>
>If you're interested, please subscribe to the mailing list:
>http://groups.google.com/group/mp3cycling
>
>thanks,
>Dan

See, this is what Ricodjour was warning us about. Next he'll ask for
your bank account number so you can receive your 'prize'.

Doesn't even reference a college or university. And how legitimate
could it be with Voekler listed as a number one?

So, with everyone else falling down and getting banged up, I'm betting
MSR 1 Tom Boonen will be the most common entry. MSR 2 Alessandro
Petacchi has to be up there. I'm going to throw in MSR 3 Oscar Freire
for the hell of it.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis L. Russell
March 21st 07, 07:44 PM
On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:35:16 +0200, Donald Munro
> wrote:

>Dan Connelly wrote:
>> But, as a backup, I have a little perl routine which tries to correct spelling errors on established riders.
>
>Oh no, not another one.

It can start by having Alessandro spell his last name right. What's
with the one T and two Cs anyway? Just doesn't look American.

March 21st 07, 08:27 PM
On Mar 21, 3:40 pm, Curtis L. Russell > wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:26:21 GMT, Dan Connelly
>

> > wrote:
> >For the fourth year in a row, I'm running a game of picking winners
> >of professional cycling races. The goal of the contest is for it to
> >be very simple to play: just send me your top 3 picks for each race,
> >and I handle keeping score. The first race is Milan San Remo, this
> >Saturday.
>
> >For communication on the game, I have set up a mailing list:
> >http://groups.google.com/group/mp3cycling
>
> >I also have a web site, which will eventually be updated for this year's
> >contest (not yet):
> >http://mp3.djconnel.com/
>
> >To enter for Milan-San Remo, send your top 3 picks as follows, in the body
> >of an email:
>
> >MSR 1 Thomas Voeckler
> >MSR 2 Laurens Ten Dam
> >MSR 3 Enrico Gasparotto
>
> >send the email to: mp3_at_djconnel_dot_com <--- SEND EMAIL HERE (don't reply to this message)
>
> >where the names are pasted from CyclingNews.com (in this case,
> >http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/mar07/msr07/?id=startlist).
>
> >It's important the entry be formatted in this way -- the race code
> >tells my parser that it is reading an entry line. Otherwise it just
> >assumes a line is part of the virtually endless stream of junk most
> >emails contain in headers, attachments, etc....
>
> >If you're interested, please subscribe to the mailing list:
> >http://groups.google.com/group/mp3cycling
>
> >thanks,
> >Dan
>
> See, this is what Ricodjour was warning us about. Next he'll ask for
> your bank account number so you can receive your 'prize'.
>
> Doesn't even reference a college or university. And how legitimate
> could it be with Voekler listed as a number one?
>
> So, with everyone else falling down and getting banged up, I'm betting
> MSR 1 Tom Boonen will be the most common entry. MSR 2 Alessandro
> Petacchi has to be up there. I'm going to throw in MSR 3 Oscar Freire
> for the hell of it.
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

dumbass,

straight up picks are easy to make. here's the odds from unibet, you
just picked three of the top 4 picks.

Petacchi, A 5.50
Boonen, T 6.00
Bennati, D 10.00
Freire, O 11.00
McEwen, R 12.00
Bettini, P 14.00
Ricco, Riccardo 15.00
Hushovd, T 16.00
O'Grady, Stuart 16.00
Pozzato, F 18.00
Valverde, A 22.00
Eisel, B 25.00
Napolitano, D 25.00
Zabel, E 25.00
Davis, A 30.00
Fernandez, K 30.00
Ballan, A 35.00
Gilbert, P 35.00
Paolini, L 35.00

Dan Connelly
March 21st 07, 09:17 PM
wrote:

> dumbass,
>
> straight up picks are easy to make. here's the odds from unibet, you
> just picked three of the top 4 picks.
Geesh -- you'd think they could have gone with one of their guys, at least.

Dan

RicodJour
March 21st 07, 09:25 PM
On Mar 21, 3:40 pm, Curtis L. Russell > wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:26:21 GMT, Dan Connelly
>

> > wrote:
> >For the fourth year in a row, I'm running a game of picking winners
> >of professional cycling races. The goal of the contest is for it to
> >be very simple to play: just send me your top 3 picks for each race,
> >and I handle keeping score. The first race is Milan San Remo, this
> >Saturday.
>
> >For communication on the game, I have set up a mailing list:
> >http://groups.google.com/group/mp3cycling
>
> >I also have a web site, which will eventually be updated for this year's
> >contest (not yet):
> >http://mp3.djconnel.com/
>
> >To enter for Milan-San Remo, send your top 3 picks as follows, in the body
> >of an email:
>
> >MSR 1 Thomas Voeckler
> >MSR 2 Laurens Ten Dam
> >MSR 3 Enrico Gasparotto
>
> >send the email to: mp3_at_djconnel_dot_com <--- SEND EMAIL HERE (don't reply to this message)
>
> >where the names are pasted from CyclingNews.com (in this case,
> >http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/mar07/msr07/?id=startlist).
>
> >It's important the entry be formatted in this way -- the race code
> >tells my parser that it is reading an entry line. Otherwise it just
> >assumes a line is part of the virtually endless stream of junk most
> >emails contain in headers, attachments, etc....
>
> >If you're interested, please subscribe to the mailing list:
> >http://groups.google.com/group/mp3cycling
>
> >thanks,
> >Dan
>
> See, this is what Ricodjour was warning us about. Next he'll ask for
> your bank account number so you can receive your 'prize'.
>
> Doesn't even reference a college or university. And how legitimate
> could it be with Voekler listed as a number one?

Exactly. And how does he handle Tyler Hamilton and Tyler Hamilton
Chimera Prime? Which one is ranked higher? This sounds like the
roulette wheel. "In 1842, fellow Frenchmen François and Louis Blanc
added the "0" to the roulette wheel in order to achieve a house
advantage." - FLIUFYSB

Don't go dissing Voeckler. He has intestinal fortitude. That's
something that no amount of training will give you. Dollars to donuts
the French are working in secret labs to clone him, and that's
probably why their labs are understaffed to the point that the same
guys have to test both the A and B samples.

Tom Kunich
March 22nd 07, 08:55 PM
"Dan Connelly" > wrote in message
. ..
> For the fourth year in a row, I'm running a game of picking winners
> of professional cycling races. The goal of the contest is for it to
> be very simple to play: just send me your top 3 picks for each race,
> and I handle keeping score. The first race is Milan San Remo, this
> Saturday.

MSR 1) Petacchi
MSR 2) Popovych
MSR 3) Rodriguez

Dan Connelly
March 22nd 07, 09:25 PM
Tom Kunich wrote:
> "Dan Connelly" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> For the fourth year in a row, I'm running a game of picking winners
>> of professional cycling races. The goal of the contest is for it to
>> be very simple to play: just send me your top 3 picks for each race,
>> and I handle keeping score. The first race is Milan San Remo, this
>> Saturday.
>
> MSR 1) Petacchi
> MSR 2) Popovych
> MSR 3) Rodriguez

Email to mp3_at_djconnel_dot_com....

Dan

Dan Connelly
March 22nd 07, 09:26 PM
Tom Kunich wrote:
> "Dan Connelly" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> For the fourth year in a row, I'm running a game of picking winners
>> of professional cycling races. The goal of the contest is for it to
>> be very simple to play: just send me your top 3 picks for each race,
>> and I handle keeping score. The first race is Milan San Remo, this
>> Saturday.
>
> MSR 1) Petacchi
> MSR 2) Popovych
> MSR 3) Rodriguez

P.S. I'd be amazed if #3 comes through.... Assuming you mean Fast Freddy. He just lacked the punch at TOC.

Speaking of TOC, Haedo is a decent favorite. But he didn't show he can hang on the hills in CA. I don't see
him in the game at the end.

Dan

RicodJour
March 22nd 07, 10:01 PM
On Mar 22, 5:26 pm, Dan Connelly >
wrote:
> Tom Kunich wrote:
> > "Dan Connelly" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >> For the fourth year in a row, I'm running a game of picking winners
> >> of professional cycling races. The goal of the contest is for it to
> >> be very simple to play: just send me your top 3 picks for each race,
> >> and I handle keeping score. The first race is Milan San Remo, this
> >> Saturday.
>
> > MSR 1) Petacchi
> > MSR 2) Popovych
> > MSR 3) Rodriguez
>
> P.S. I'd be amazed if #3 comes through.... Assuming you mean Fast Freddy. He just lacked the punch at TOC.
>
> Speaking of TOC, Haedo is a decent favorite. But he didn't show he can hang on the hills in CA. I don't see
> him in the game at the end.

There are hills in Milan-San Remo?! I thought this was a theoretical
game where you'd toss some 12-sided dice to see who'd win! ;)

Dan Connelly
March 22nd 07, 10:20 PM
RicodJour wrote:

> There are hills in Milan-San Remo?! I thought this was a theoretical
> game where you'd toss some 12-sided dice to see who'd win! ;)

I prefer dice with a prime number of faces.

Dan

P.S. Frankly, you'd never know the Poggio was a hill, from the speed they climb the freakin' thing.

Howard Kveck
March 22nd 07, 10:46 PM
In article >, Dan Connelly
> wrote:

> RicodJour wrote:
>
> > There are hills in Milan-San Remo?! I thought this was a theoretical
> > game where you'd toss some 12-sided dice to see who'd win! ;)
>
> I prefer dice with a prime number of faces.
>
> Dan
>
> P.S. Frankly, you'd never know the Poggio was a hill, from the speed
they climb the freakin' thing.

Particularly after racing about 290km already. I know that the first
part of the race is rarely super fast, but still...

--
tanx,
Howard

Tom Kunich
March 23rd 07, 02:33 AM
"Dan Connelly" > wrote in message
. ..
> Tom Kunich wrote:
>> "Dan Connelly" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> For the fourth year in a row, I'm running a game of picking winners
>>> of professional cycling races. The goal of the contest is for it to
>>> be very simple to play: just send me your top 3 picks for each race,
>>> and I handle keeping score. The first race is Milan San Remo, this
>>> Saturday.
>>
>> MSR 1) Petacchi
>> MSR 2) Popovych
>> MSR 3) Rodriguez
>
> P.S. I'd be amazed if #3 comes through.... Assuming you mean Fast Freddy.
> He just lacked the punch at TOC.
>
> Speaking of TOC, Haedo is a decent favorite. But he didn't show he can
> hang on the hills in CA. I don't see
> him in the game at the end.

Fred is a great deal more motivated in MSR than in the Tour of California.
Didn't he take 2nd a couple of years ago to the Lion King?

Donald Munro
March 23rd 07, 07:31 AM
Dan Connelly wrote:
> P.S. Frankly, you'd never know the Poggio was a hill, from the speed
> they climb the freakin' thing.

Particularly in those years when they were super-motivated after doing
some panache loading.

Dan Connelly
March 23rd 07, 01:08 PM
Tom Kunich wrote:

> Fred is a great deal more motivated in MSR than in the Tour of California.
> Didn't he take 2nd a couple of years ago to the Lion King?

It was 5 years ago....

And he was 5 years younger, then.

Dan

P.S. My picks were:

MSR 1 Tom Boonen
MSR 2 Filippo Pozzato
MSR 3 Danilo Napolitano

I avoided picking teammates. Napolitano showed a string of very impressive results
late last year, and finished strongly in last year's MSR.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home