PDA

View Full Version : Question: Cannondale M1000 crank options

Pat Huber
August 7th 03, 07:11 PM
I have acquired a mid-90s M1000 which started life as a mountain bike,
but was
converted to road use (XT shifters, Ultegra crankset (double), cassette
& deraileurs
street tires). My object is to convert it to a "cyclo-cross on steroids"
setup and I've
put GEAX revert185 tires, XT rear deraileur and cassette on. Turns out
39x34 is not
low enough for an old (47) man like me. My first thought was to go to a
road (say, 105)
triple crank, and then I noticed that the BB was the triple size. Then I
saw the reason:
obviously the 39 on an inner ring won't clear the chainstay with a
double BB.

So, does anyone out there have experience with a 9-speed compatible crank
(road or mountain) conversion on an M1000? I'd hate to buy something and
find it didn't fit. I'd like to stay with the splined Shimano BB, but
could change.
My first choice would be 30/42/53, but could live with 24/?/48. I want
some
tall gears because my typical ride would go up a fireroad or jeep trail
and then
down on pavement. Thanks in advance. -pat

Jamie
August 8th 03, 05:38 AM
Try a older XTR triple its 22/34/46 and work with the mtn bike frame .If
you use a road triple the derailer might not have enough throw to shift it
..and you would need a wide BB to clear the gears.hope this helps I converted
a mtn bike to ride on the road in the winter used a suntour pro crank set
like XTR gearing but had trouble getting it to the granny gear,

--
J/O Trailblazer At large !!

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home