PDA

View Full Version : stick-on numbers: what glue?

Ryan Cousineau
March 24th 07, 08:22 AM
So I'm sick of stupid pin-on numbers, and I want to look all euro-pro
by sticking my numbers on at my next race.

Has anybody here rolled their own stick-on numbers? Looking at the pro-
style numbers, it appears they're using an even coating of some fairly
tacky glue: a bit more aggressive than post-it notes.

As a first try, I was thinking of using a glue stick. The goal is a
number that won't fall off, but will peel off.

Any other ideas?

As to why, well, it's partly that pins are a pain and I never get my
number pinned on right, and partly that I want to look Euro-pro. Yeah,
sad, I know.

John Forrest Tomlinson
March 24th 07, 10:04 AM
On 24 Mar 2007 01:22:27 -0700, "Ryan Cousineau" >
wrote:

>So I'm sick of stupid pin-on numbers, and I want to look all euro-pro
>by sticking my numbers on at my next race.
>
>Has anybody here rolled their own stick-on numbers? Looking at the pro-
>style numbers, it appears they're using an even coating of some fairly
>tacky glue: a bit more aggressive than post-it notes.
>
>As a first try, I was thinking of using a glue stick. The goal is a
>number that won't fall off, but will peel off.

I think it's some sort of spray-on adhesive. I also think this is one
idea that started with preening and rich masters fatties and then
spread to the euro-pros.
--
JT
****************************

RicodJour
March 24th 07, 05:31 PM
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> So I'm sick of stupid pin-on numbers, and I want to look all euro-pro
> by sticking my numbers on at my next race.
>
> Has anybody here rolled their own stick-on numbers? Looking at the pro-
> style numbers, it appears they're using an even coating of some fairly
> tacky glue: a bit more aggressive than post-it notes.
>
> As a first try, I was thinking of using a glue stick. The goal is a
> number that won't fall off, but will peel off.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> As to why, well, it's partly that pins are a pain and I never get my
> number pinned on right, and partly that I want to look Euro-pro. Yeah,
> sad, I know.

I was about to recommend 3M Super 77 spray adhesive - but it might be
too strong. I was checking out the 3M web site, then I saw this:
http://tinyurl.com/2y9zrb
Sports and Hobbies - and the only thing they show are a card table, a
putting green and a seat cushion. Yep. Bunch of 'roid ragin'
athletes at 3M!

Here's a link to the 3M web site search for temporary spray adhesives:
http://tinyurl.com/2v9bgv

You might also want to look at this:
http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/sealants_adhesives/contact_adhesive.htm?d=18
Says it makes permanent or temporary bonds, non-staining and all of
that good stuff.

As always, test in an inconspicuous place. Like someone else's
jersey.

March 24th 07, 06:30 PM
On Mar 24, 9:22 am, "Ryan Cousineau" > wrote:
> So I'm sick of stupid pin-on numbers, and I want to look all euro-pro
> by sticking my numbers on at my next race.
>
> Has anybody here rolled their own stick-on numbers? Looking at the pro-
> style numbers, it appears they're using an even coating of some fairly
> tacky glue: a bit more aggressive than post-it notes.
>
> As a first try, I was thinking of using a glue stick. The goal is a
> number that won't fall off, but will peel off.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> As to why, well, it's partly that pins are a pain and I never get my
> number pinned on right, and partly that I want to look Euro-pro. Yeah,
> sad, I know.

I've been to ski races where the numbers were printed on fabric
stickers. One sheet of A4 (euro letter) size with die-cut areas around
the different printing. I'm sure it's the same sort of thing.

Joseph

Ryan Cousineau
March 26th 07, 01:08 AM
On Mar 24, 10:31 am, "RicodJour" > wrote:
> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> > So I'm sick of stupid pin-on numbers, and I want to look all euro-pro
> > by sticking my numbers on at my next race.
>
> > Has anybody here rolled their own stick-on numbers? Looking at the pro-
> > style numbers, it appears they're using an even coating of some fairly
> > tacky glue: a bit more aggressive than post-it notes.
>
> > As a first try, I was thinking of using a glue stick. The goal is a
> > number that won't fall off, but will peel off.
>
> > Any other ideas?
>
> > As to why, well, it's partly that pins are a pain and I never get my
> > number pinned on right, and partly that I want to look Euro-pro. Yeah,
> > sad, I know.
>
> I was about to recommend 3M Super 77 spray adhesive - but it might be
> too strong. I was checking out the 3M web site, then I saw this:http://tinyurl.com/2y9zrb
> Sports and Hobbies - and the only thing they show are a card table, a
> putting green and a seat cushion. Yep. Bunch of 'roid ragin'
> athletes at 3M!
>
> Here's a link to the 3M web site search for temporary spray adhesives:http://tinyurl.com/2v9bgv
>
> You might also want to look at this:http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/sealants_adhesives/contact_adhesive...
> Says it makes permanent or temporary bonds, non-staining and all of
> that good stuff.
>
> As always, test in an inconspicuous place. Like someone else's
> jersey.

Rico, your link to 3M's Super 77 pages found me a probable solution:
3M Spray Mount Artist's Adhesive
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Super-77/Super77/SprayAdhesive/Product-Information?PC_7_0_382I_assetType=MMM_Article&PC_7_0_382I_assetId=1114284886905&PC_7_0_382I_univid=1114284886905%237_0_382I

http://tinyurl.com/2d3uyj

It's not designed for "outdoor use", but I think they're mostly
hinting that it's a moderate-strength adhesive. I'll do some
experimenting with wearing race numbers while commuting for a few
days.

I'll try to report back when I have results.

Thanks!

Ryan Cousineau
March 26th 07, 01:26 AM
On Mar 24, 11:30 am, "
> wrote:
> On Mar 24, 9:22 am, "Ryan Cousineau" > wrote:
>
> > So I'm sick of stupid pin-on numbers, and I want to look all euro-pro
> > by sticking my numbers on at my next race.
>
> > Has anybody here rolled their own stick-on numbers? Looking at the pro-
> > style numbers, it appears they're using an even coating of some fairly
> > tacky glue: a bit more aggressive than post-it notes.
>
> > As a first try, I was thinking of using a glue stick. The goal is a
> > number that won't fall off, but will peel off.
>
> > Any other ideas?
>
> > As to why, well, it's partly that pins are a pain and I never get my
> > number pinned on right, and partly that I want to look Euro-pro. Yeah,
> > sad, I know.
>
> I've been to ski races where the numbers were printed on fabric
> stickers. One sheet of A4 (euro letter) size with die-cut areas around
> the different printing. I'm sure it's the same sort of thing.
>
> Joseph

Big-budget ski races can afford zooty fabric numbers, but you're
right, that's probably similar to the Euro-pro style, with pre-applied
adhesive.

Anyone here touched a TdF number? Are they a Tyvek-type material like
most local race numbers, or do they use fabric-based numbers?

Either way, I doubt local races could or would change over to stick-on
numbers. I'm looking for a way to make my own from default pin-on
numbers. I figure the jealousy alone will be worth a few places.

RonSonic
March 26th 07, 01:28 AM
On 24 Mar 2007 10:31:17 -0700, "RicodJour" > wrote:

>Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>> So I'm sick of stupid pin-on numbers, and I want to look all euro-pro
>> by sticking my numbers on at my next race.
>>
>> Has anybody here rolled their own stick-on numbers? Looking at the pro-
>> style numbers, it appears they're using an even coating of some fairly
>> tacky glue: a bit more aggressive than post-it notes.
>>
>> As a first try, I was thinking of using a glue stick. The goal is a
>> number that won't fall off, but will peel off.
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>>
>> As to why, well, it's partly that pins are a pain and I never get my
>> number pinned on right, and partly that I want to look Euro-pro. Yeah,
>> sad, I know.
>
>I was about to recommend 3M Super 77 spray adhesive - but it might be
>too strong. I was checking out the 3M web site, then I saw this:
>http://tinyurl.com/2y9zrb
>Sports and Hobbies - and the only thing they show are a card table, a
>putting green and a seat cushion. Yep. Bunch of 'roid ragin'
>athletes at 3M!
>
>Here's a link to the 3M web site search for temporary spray adhesives:
>http://tinyurl.com/2v9bgv
>
>You might also want to look at this:
>http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/sealants_adhesives/contact_adhesive.htm?d=18
>Says it makes permanent or temporary bonds, non-staining and all of
>that good stuff.

3M 77 is permanent if used properly. I suspect that if sprayed on the back of
the number than then stuck down when tacky it'd not be permanent.

>As always, test in an inconspicuous place. Like someone else's
>jersey.

Good idea. Those are some pretty evil solvents in most spray glues.

Ron

Tom Kunich
March 26th 07, 03:08 AM
"Ryan Cousineau" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> So I'm sick of stupid pin-on numbers, and I want to look all euro-pro
> by sticking my numbers on at my next race.
>
> Has anybody here rolled their own stick-on numbers? Looking at the pro-
> style numbers, it appears they're using an even coating of some fairly
> tacky glue: a bit more aggressive than post-it notes.

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/001/group_id/2323/Krylon-Repositionable-Adhesive.htm

RicodJour
March 26th 07, 04:47 AM
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> On Mar 24, 10:31 am, "RicodJour" > wrote:
> > Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> > > So I'm sick of stupid pin-on numbers, and I want to look all euro-pro
> > > by sticking my numbers on at my next race.
> >
> > > Has anybody here rolled their own stick-on numbers? Looking at the pro-
> > > style numbers, it appears they're using an even coating of some fairly
> > > tacky glue: a bit more aggressive than post-it notes.
> >
> > > As a first try, I was thinking of using a glue stick. The goal is a
> > > number that won't fall off, but will peel off.
> >
> > > Any other ideas?
> >
> > > As to why, well, it's partly that pins are a pain and I never get my
> > > number pinned on right, and partly that I want to look Euro-pro. Yeah,
> > > sad, I know.
> >
> > I was about to recommend 3M Super 77 spray adhesive - but it might be
> > too strong. I was checking out the 3M web site, then I saw this:http://tinyurl.com/2y9zrb
> > Sports and Hobbies - and the only thing they show are a card table, a
> > putting green and a seat cushion. Yep. Bunch of 'roid ragin'
> > athletes at 3M!
> >
> > Here's a link to the 3M web site search for temporary spray adhesives:http://tinyurl.com/2v9bgv
> >
> > You might also want to look at this:http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/sealants_adhesives/contact_adhesive...
> > Says it makes permanent or temporary bonds, non-staining and all of
> > that good stuff.
> >
> > As always, test in an inconspicuous place. Like someone else's
> > jersey.
>
> Rico, your link to 3M's Super 77 pages found me a probable solution:
> 3M Spray Mount Artist's Adhesive
> http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Super-77/Super77/SprayAdhesive/Product-Information?PC_7_0_382I_assetType=MMM_Article&PC_7_0_382I_assetId=1114284886905&PC_7_0_382I_univid=1114284886905%237_0_382I
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2d3uyj
>
> It's not designed for "outdoor use", but I think they're mostly
> hinting that it's a moderate-strength adhesive. I'll do some
> experimenting with wearing race numbers while commuting for a few
> days.
>
> I'll try to report back when I have results.

Please do. I think you might actually want to err on having a
stronger tack rather than a weaker one. You'd look pretty freaking
stupid placing without your number. ;)

Callistus Valerius
March 26th 07, 09:46 AM
> As to why, well, it's partly that pins are a pain and I never get my
> number pinned on right, and partly that I want to look Euro-pro. Yeah,
> sad, I know.

I prefer the pins, the number acts as a drag chute on those nasty
descents.

RicodJour
March 26th 07, 02:28 PM
Callistus Valerius wrote:
> > As to why, well, it's partly that pins are a pain and I never get my
> > number pinned on right, and partly that I want to look Euro-pro. Yeah,
> > sad, I know.
>
> I prefer the pins, the number acts as a drag chute on those nasty
> descents.

The race numbers are frequently required to be off to one side, which
can cause the chute to drag you off to that side. That's not safe
unless the downhill is a constant radius turn in the same direction,
and that rarely happens. I prefer to just slip the helmet off of the
back of my head and let that act as a drag chute. The vent holes in
the helmet prevent wind gusts from snapping your neck...usually.

March 26th 07, 04:08 PM
On Mar 24, 4:22 am, "Ryan Cousineau" > wrote:
> So I'm sick of stupid pin-on numbers, and I want to look all euro-pro
> by sticking my numbers on at my next race.
>
> Has anybody here rolled their own stick-on numbers? Looking at the pro-
> style numbers, it appears they're using an even coating of some fairly
> tacky glue: a bit more aggressive than post-it notes.
>
> As a first try, I was thinking of using a glue stick. The goal is a
> number that won't fall off, but will peel off.
>
> Any other ideas?

dumbass,

you can go one better. our jersey supplier can sublimate a small area
on piece of clothing (of the right material i guess). so you can
custom sublimate your name or some mesage onto the back of your jersey
or shorts.

-Amit

RicodJour
March 26th 07, 04:21 PM
wrote:

> you can go one better. our jersey supplier can sublimate a small area
> on piece of clothing (of the right material i guess). so you can
> custom sublimate your name or some mesage onto the back of your jersey
> or shorts.

Why stop there? LED spoke lights could talk trash so he wouldn't have
to:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000BH9V2A/ref=dp_otherviews_3/002-5571779-9755259?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&img=3

March 26th 07, 06:51 PM
On Mar 24, 4:22 am, "Ryan Cousineau" > wrote:
> So I'm sick of stupid pin-on numbers, and I want to look all euro-pro
> by sticking my numbers on at my next race.
>
> Has anybody here rolled their own stick-on numbers? Looking at the pro-
> style numbers, it appears they're using an even coating of some fairly
> tacky glue: a bit more aggressive than post-it notes.
>
> As a first try, I was thinking of using a glue stick. The goal is a
> number that won't fall off, but will peel off.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> As to why, well, it's partly that pins are a pain and I never get my
> number pinned on right, and partly that I want to look Euro-pro. Yeah,
> sad, I know.

thistothat.com

Paper to Fabric
If you want the joint to stay flexible, we recommend:
Sobo
Rhoplex
But if you don't mind some stiffness, use:
Elmer's Carpenter's Glue
LePage's Bondfast
For an absolutely wrinkle free result, but with some stiffness, we
recommend:
Yamato Sticking Paste

To avoid wrinkles and stiffness, try:
3M 77

http://www.thistothat.com/cgi-bin/glue.cgi?lang=en&this=Paper&that=Fabric

Donald Munro
March 26th 07, 09:31 PM
dtamasauskas wrote:
> To avoid wrinkles and stiffness, try:
> 3M 77

But don't try Keith Richards.

March 26th 07, 10:02 PM
On Mar 26, 3:28 pm, "RicodJour" > wrote:
> Callistus Valerius wrote:
> > > As to why, well, it's partly that pins are a pain and I never get my
> > > number pinned on right, and partly that I want to look Euro-pro. Yeah,
> > > sad, I know.
>
> > I prefer the pins, the number acts as a drag chute on those nasty
> > descents.
>
> The race numbers are frequently required to be off to one side, which
> can cause the chute to drag you off to that side. That's not safe
> unless the downhill is a constant radius turn in the same direction,
> and that rarely happens. I prefer to just slip the helmet off of the
> back of my head and let that act as a drag chute. The vent holes in
> the helmet prevent wind gusts from snapping your neck...usually.

I just wear my helmet backwards.

Joseph

William Asher
March 26th 07, 10:08 PM
wrote:

> I just wear my helmet backwards.

If you wore it cocked sideways at a weird angle with baggy spandex you
could be a phatty masters.

--
Bill Asher

RicodJour
March 26th 07, 11:39 PM
On Mar 26, 1:51 pm, wrote:
> On Mar 24, 4:22 am, "Ryan Cousineau" > wrote:
>
> > So I'm sick of stupid pin-on numbers, and I want to look all euro-pro
> > by sticking my numbers on at my next race.
>
> > Has anybody here rolled their own stick-on numbers? Looking at the pro-
> > style numbers, it appears they're using an even coating of some fairly
> > tacky glue: a bit more aggressive than post-it notes.
>
> > As a first try, I was thinking of using a glue stick. The goal is a
> > number that won't fall off, but will peel off.
>
> > Any other ideas?
>
> > As to why, well, it's partly that pins are a pain and I never get my
> > number pinned on right, and partly that I want to look Euro-pro. Yeah,
> > sad, I know.
>
> thistothat.com
>
> Paper to Fabric
> If you want the joint to stay flexible, we recommend:
> Sobo
> Rhoplex
> But if you don't mind some stiffness, use:
> Elmer's Carpenter's Glue
> LePage's Bondfast
> For an absolutely wrinkle free result, but with some stiffness, we
> recommend:
> Yamato Sticking Paste
>
> To avoid wrinkles and stiffness, try:
> 3M 77
>
> http://www.thistothat.com/cgi-bin/glue.cgi?lang=en&this=Paper&that=Fa...

Aren't most numbers printed on that Tyvek like crap? That's between a
fabric and a plastic - spun olefin or something like that. Fabric to
fabric provides the same results as the link you provided. Plastic
to fabric: http://www.thistothat.com/cgi-bin/glue.cgi?lang=en&this=Plastic&that=Fabric

Note that the results don't indicate that the bonds are temporary, so
pick some numbers you like.

RicodJour
March 27th 07, 12:18 AM
On Mar 26, 8:04 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson >
wrote:

> I had a helmet for awhile, a Schwinn helmet, that would get noticeable
> lift above about 30mph. Going downhill it'd be pulling my head up.

You were wearing it upside down. It's supposed to push you down to
increase traction. Kind of like the spoilers on muscle cars.

John Forrest Tomlinson
March 27th 07, 01:04 AM
On 26 Mar 2007 14:02:29 -0700, "
> wrote:

>> > I prefer the pins, the number acts as a drag chute on those nasty
>> > descents.
>>
>> The race numbers are frequently required to be off to one side, which
>> can cause the chute to drag you off to that side. That's not safe
>> unless the downhill is a constant radius turn in the same direction,
>> and that rarely happens. I prefer to just slip the helmet off of the
>> back of my head and let that act as a drag chute. The vent holes in
>> the helmet prevent wind gusts from snapping your neck...usually.

>I just wear my helmet backwards.

I had a helmet for awhile, a Schwinn helmet, that would get noticeable
lift above about 30mph. Going downhill it'd be pulling my head up.

--
JT
****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

ST
March 28th 07, 10:29 PM
On 3/25/07 5:28 PM, in article ,
"RonSonic" > wrote:

> On 24 Mar 2007 10:31:17 -0700, "RicodJour" > wrote:
>

>> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>>> So I'm sick of stupid pin-on numbers, and I want to look all euro-pro
>>> by sticking my numbers on at my next race.
>>>
>>> Has anybody here rolled their own stick-on numbers? Looking at the pro-
>>> style numbers, it appears they're using an even coating of some fairly
>>> tacky glue: a bit more aggressive than post-it notes.
>>>
>>> As a first try, I was thinking of using a glue stick. The goal is a
>>> number that won't fall off, but will peel off.
>>>
>>> Any other ideas?
>>>
>>> As to why, well, it's partly that pins are a pain and I never get my
>>> number pinned on right, and partly that I want to look Euro-pro. Yeah,
>>> sad, I know.
>>
>> I was about to recommend 3M Super 77 spray adhesive - but it might be
>> too strong. I was checking out the 3M web site, then I saw this:
>> http://tinyurl.com/2y9zrb
>> Sports and Hobbies - and the only thing they show are a card table, a
>> putting green and a seat cushion. Yep. Bunch of 'roid ragin'
>> athletes at 3M!
>>
>> Here's a link to the 3M web site search for temporary spray adhesives:
>> http://tinyurl.com/2v9bgv
>>
>> You might also want to look at this:

http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/sealants_adhesives/contact_adhesive.htm?d=1>>
8
>> Says it makes permanent or temporary bonds, non-staining and all of
>> that good stuff.
>
> 3M 77 is permanent if used properly. I suspect that if sprayed on the back of
> the number than then stuck down when tacky it'd not be permanent.
>
>> As always, test in an inconspicuous place. Like someone else's
>> jersey.
>
> Good idea. Those are some pretty evil solvents in most spray glues.
>
> Ron

The 3M super 77 is the way to go. It might start peeling in a hot RR or a
really sweaty crit over 45+ minutes. I have used it a dozen times before. I
am familiar with the product as I work in the printing industry. It is not
permanent (As is not Fastack either..) BUT it is very tacky (like the
Fastack)

If you usually wash your jersey by hand using this will probably cause you
to use the machine to wash instead. Warmer water and an adequate laundry
detergent will be needed if it is a cold day and you do not sweat enough to
breakdown the glue on the fabric.

Ryan Cousineau
March 30th 07, 09:37 PM
On Mar 26, 8:21 am, "RicodJour" > wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > you can go one better. our jersey supplier can sublimate a small area
> > on piece of clothing (of the right material i guess). so you can
> > custom sublimate your name or some mesage onto the back of your jersey
> > or shorts.
>
> Why stop there? LED spoke lights could talk trash so he wouldn't have
> to:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000BH9V2A/ref=dp_otherviews_...

Actually, I have a white frame, and I routinely use a dry-erase marker
to write race details (mainly laps and distance) on the top tube.

I also write little messages to my competitors on my seat stays.

Donald Munro
March 31st 07, 11:14 AM
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> I also write little messages to my competitors on my seat stays.

This may be more noticeable:
http://www.teamestrogen.com/images/products/DS-13155-SOPK_xlg.jpg
(and I'm sure you'd look very fetching in a teamestrogen jersey if you
invest in some silicon).

April 1st 07, 06:46 AM
what about this tape instead http://www.grizzygrip.com/homepage.html

Ryan Cousineau
April 1st 07, 07:08 AM
On Mar 31, 10:46 pm, wrote:
> what about this tape insteadhttp://www.grizzygrip.com/homepage.html

That's actually fairly cool, though it does cost nearly $1/taped
number.

I went to the store today and grabbed some Elmer's spray glue, which
looked like it might be closer to Artist's Adhesive than Super 77, and
at nearly half the price, it was attractive.

I'm going to try it in anger Sunday, but preliminary experiments are
promising.

ST
April 1st 07, 04:32 PM
On 3/31/07 10:46 PM, in article
om,
" > wrote:

> what about this tape instead http://www.grizzygrip.com/homepage.html

A can of Super77 will last much longer than that $14 roll of tape.......

carpediemracing[_2_]
April 1st 07, 10:29 PM
ST Wrote:
> On 3/31/07 10:46 PM, in article
> om,
> " > wrote:
> A can of Super77 will last much longer than that $14 roll of
> tape.......Super77 works great:
1. spray on back of number
2. wait about 20-30 seconds
3. put on jersey
4. peel off when done, no residue
note: doesn't work on wind vests unless you put a little more spray
on.
note: if you put too much on then wave it around a little more

--
carpediemracing

Mike Murray
April 10th 07, 03:53 AM
OBRA has numbers printed on Lycra. They are not self adhesive but they are
much easier to pin on flat compared to paper or Tyvek. They also last for a
long time. Members are given a set of 2 numbers which are used at most
races in Oregon all season. These numbers are quite a bit more expensive
than the Tyvek numbers.

--
Mike Murray

"Ryan Cousineau" > wrote:
"Big-budget ski races can afford zooty fabric numbers,"

April 10th 07, 06:19 AM
dumbass,

we've experimented with printing from an ink jet on to fabric as well,
and it works well, but they are tedious to make, but cheap since we do
it ourselves.

does anyone know a good source for frame numbers ?

On Apr 9, 10:53 pm, "Mike Murray" > wrote:
> OBRA has numbers printed on Lycra. They are not self adhesive but they are
> much easier to pin on flat compared to paper or Tyvek. They also last for a
> long time. Members are given a set of 2 numbers which are used at most
> races in Oregon all season. These numbers are quite a bit more expensive
> than the Tyvek numbers.

John Forrest Tomlinson
April 10th 07, 09:43 AM
On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 19:53:43 -0700, "Mike Murray"
> wrote:

>OBRA has numbers printed on Lycra. They are not self adhesive but they are
>much easier to pin on flat compared to paper or Tyvek. They also last for a
>long time. Members are given a set of 2 numbers which are used at most
>races in Oregon all season. These numbers are quite a bit more expensive
>than the Tyvek numbers.

What vendor supplied these? My club has year-long numbers that are
very heavy and hard to pin and these should like an improvement.

--
JT
****************************

Bob Schwartz
April 10th 07, 02:16 PM
wrote:
> dumbass,
>
> we've experimented with printing from an ink jet on to fabric as well,
> and it works well, but they are tedious to make, but cheap since we do
> it ourselves.
>
> does anyone know a good source for frame numbers ?

http://www.marathononline.com/stock.htm
http://www.worldcupsupply.com/budget-road-bike-numbers.html
http://www.rainbowracing.com/Generic-BikeTrack.htm

I've ordered the cheap generic frame numbers from Marathon. You
would think that attaching a frame number was pretty simple but
enough people have trouble and have to adjust it that I'd avoid
the adhesive ones.

Bob Schwartz

April 10th 07, 04:16 PM
On Apr 10, 9:16 am, Bob Schwartz >
wrote:
> wrote:
> > dumbass,
>
> > we've experimented with printing from an ink jet on to fabric as well,
> > and it works well, but they are tedious to make, but cheap since we do
> > it ourselves.
>
> > does anyone know a good source for frame numbers ?
>
> http://www.marathononline.com/stock.htmhttp://www.worldcupsupply.com/budget-road-bike-numbers.htmlhttp://www.rainbowracing.com/Generic-BikeTrack.htm
>
> I've ordered the cheap generic frame numbers from Marathon. You
> would think that attaching a frame number was pretty simple but
> enough people have trouble and have to adjust it that I'd avoid
> the adhesive ones.

dumbass,

thanks, i notice a large variation in price. yes, i figure people with
botch the self-adhesive ones. but what is the trade off in durability/
legibility and price ?

Bob Schwartz
April 10th 07, 05:35 PM
wrote:
> On Apr 10, 9:16 am, Bob Schwartz >
> wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> dumbass,
>>> we've experimented with printing from an ink jet on to fabric as well,
>>> and it works well, but they are tedious to make, but cheap since we do
>>> it ourselves.
>>> does anyone know a good source for frame numbers ?
>> http://www.marathononline.com/stock.htmhttp://www.worldcupsupply.com/budget-road-bike-numbers.htmlhttp://www.rainbowracing.com/Generic-BikeTrack.htm
>>
>> I've ordered the cheap generic frame numbers from Marathon. You
>> would think that attaching a frame number was pretty simple but
>> enough people have trouble and have to adjust it that I'd avoid
>> the adhesive ones.
>>

> dumbass,
>
> thanks, i notice a large variation in price. yes, i figure people with
> botch the self-adhesive ones. but what is the trade off in durability/
> legibility and price ?

I went with Marathon because they were cheapest. I use
them for a time trial, they work fine. The timers I've
worked with are indifferent to them so I guess that's
an endorsement of sorts. I've asked a timer about using
them in a mass start race and he shot it down because
frame numbers are easily obstructed by other riders.

They're pretty heavy stock. If by 'durable' you mean
multiple races they'd probably hold up but I have no
data on that. If by 'durable' you mean a season I don't
think they'd be up to it.

Bob Schwartz

April 10th 07, 07:31 PM
On Apr 10, 12:35 pm, Bob Schwartz >
wrote:
> wrote:
> > On Apr 10, 9:16 am, Bob Schwartz >
> > wrote:
> >>http://www.marathononline.com/stock.htmhttp://www.worldcupsupply.com/...
>
> >> I've ordered the cheap generic frame numbers from Marathon. You
> >> would think that attaching a frame number was pretty simple but
> >> enough people have trouble and have to adjust it that I'd avoid
> >> the adhesive ones.
>
> > dumbass,
>
> > thanks, i notice a large variation in price. yes, i figure people with
> > botch the self-adhesive ones. but what is the trade off in durability/
> > legibility and price ?
>
> I went with Marathon because they were cheapest. I use
> them for a time trial, they work fine. The timers I've
> worked with are indifferent to them so I guess that's
> an endorsement of sorts. I've asked a timer about using
> them in a mass start race and he shot it down because
> frame numbers are easily obstructed by other riders.

sure, but it acts as a backup when the bib numbers are not readable.
in quebec (a more advanced racing scene than here) they swear by frame
numbers.

> They're pretty heavy stock. If by 'durable' you mean
> multiple races they'd probably hold up but I have no
> data on that. If by 'durable' you mean a season I don't
> think they'd be up to it.

I was only thinking one race. the problem with season long numbers is
riders lose them or forget to bring them.

Bob Schwartz
April 10th 07, 08:44 PM
wrote:
> On Apr 10, 12:35 pm, Bob Schwartz >
> wrote:
>> I went with Marathon because they were cheapest. I use
>> them for a time trial, they work fine. The timers I've
>> worked with are indifferent to them so I guess that's
>> an endorsement of sorts. I've asked a timer about using
>> them in a mass start race and he shot it down because
>> frame numbers are easily obstructed by other riders.
>
> sure, but it acts as a backup when the bib numbers are not readable.
> in quebec (a more advanced racing scene than here) they swear by frame
> numbers.

They are square to the camera and you can't crumple them.
They have that going for them. IMHO they are easier to
pick up visually. A lot of that is because they are more
uniform, the placement and orientation doesn't change
from rider to rider.

Bob Schwartz

Mike Murray
April 11th 07, 06:22 AM
We have gotten them from several suppliers. They have always been a custom
set up deal. I am not sure if our current supplier is interested in doing
them for anyone else. I have sent them a note to find out. In the past we
got them from Reliable Racing.

--
Mike Murray

"John Forrest Tomlinson" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 19:53:43 -0700, "Mike Murray"
> > wrote:
>
>>OBRA has numbers printed on Lycra. They are not self adhesive but they
>>are
>>much easier to pin on flat compared to paper or Tyvek. They also last for
>>long time. Members are given a set of 2 numbers which are used at most
>>races in Oregon all season. These numbers are quite a bit more expensive
>>than the Tyvek numbers.
>
> What vendor supplied these? My club has year-long numbers that are
> very heavy and hard to pin and these should like an improvement.
>
> --
> JT
> ****************************
> Remove "remove" to reply
> Visit http://www.jt10000.com
> ****************************

Mike Murray
April 11th 07, 06:24 AM
This would not really be practical for us since we purchase about
6,000/year.

--
Mike Murray

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> dumbass,
>
> we've experimented with printing from an ink jet on to fabric as well,
> and it works well, but they are tedious to make, but cheap since we do
> it ourselves.
>
> does anyone know a good source for frame numbers ?
>

> On Apr 9, 10:53 pm, "Mike Murray" > wrote:
>> OBRA has numbers printed on Lycra. They are not self adhesive but they
>> are
>> much easier to pin on flat compared to paper or Tyvek. They also last
>> for a
>> long time. Members are given a set of 2 numbers which are used at most
>> races in Oregon all season. These numbers are quite a bit more expensive
>> than the Tyvek numbers.

Mike Murray
April 12th 07, 03:35 AM
"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote re: Lycra number:
"What vendor supplied these?"

I have asked out current supplier if he is interested in doing them. He may
be if the run is big enough. Send me a note and I will put you in contact
with him,
--
Mike Murray

John Forrest Tomlinson
April 12th 07, 11:41 AM
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:35:37 -0700, "Mike Murray"
> wrote:

>"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote re: Lycra number:
>"What vendor supplied these?"
>
>I have asked out current supplier if he is interested in doing them. He may
>be if the run is big enough. Send me a note and I will put you in contact
>with him,

It's only 400/year and I'm just curious. I'm not a decionmaker in
our club.
--
JT
****************************

tony
April 13th 07, 03:05 AM
On Mar 25, 8:26 pm, "Ryan Cousineau" > wrote:
> On Mar 24, 11:30 am, "
>

> > wrote:
> > On Mar 24, 9:22 am, "Ryan Cousineau" > wrote:
>
> > > So I'm sick of stupid pin-on numbers, and I want to look all euro-pro
> > > by sticking my numbers on at my next race.
>
> > > Has anybody here rolled their own stick-on numbers? Looking at the pro-
> > > style numbers, it appears they're using an even coating of some fairly
> > > tacky glue: a bit more aggressive than post-it notes.
>
> > > As a first try, I was thinking of using a glue stick. The goal is a
> > > number that won't fall off, but will peel off.
>
> > > Any other ideas?
>
> > > As to why, well, it's partly that pins are a pain and I never get my
> > > number pinned on right, and partly that I want to look Euro-pro. Yeah,
> > > sad, I know.
>
> > I've been to ski races where the numbers were printed on fabric
> > stickers. One sheet of A4 (euro letter) size with die-cut areas around
> > the different printing. I'm sure it's the same sort of thing.
>
> > Joseph
>
> Big-budget ski races can afford zooty fabric numbers, but you're
> right, that's probably similar to the Euro-pro style, with pre-applied
> adhesive.
>
> Anyone here touched a TdF number? Are they a Tyvek-type material like
> most local race numbers, or do they use fabric-based numbers?
>
> Either way, I doubt local races could or would change over to stick-on
> numbers. I'm looking for a way to make my own from default pin-on
> numbers. I figure the jealousy alone will be worth a few places.- Hide quoted text -

I have Tafi's number from the 98 Tour that he gave me in Paris. It's
definitely a strong fabric with a visible weave but it seems more
robust than the Tyvek like we get at local races here. And whatever
glue goes on the back- it is STICKY. I had to put the number on a
piece of plastic because it was sticking to everything it touched even
after he took it off his jersey.

Mike Murray
April 14th 07, 03:13 AM
They would be interested in a 400 order. Send me a note.

--
Mike Murray

"John Forrest Tomlinson" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:35:37 -0700, "Mike Murray"
> > wrote:
>
>>"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote re: Lycra number:
>>"What vendor supplied these?"
>>
>>I have asked out current supplier if he is interested in doing them. He
>>may
>>be if the run is big enough. Send me a note and I will put you in contact
>>with him,
>

> It's only 400/year and I'm just curious. I'm not a decionmaker in
> our club.
> --
> JT
> Remove "remove" to reply