PDA

View Full Version : Well that really burns your ass

Bill C
March 28th 07, 01:36 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6616350

He went for a long bicycle ride on Monday to help his body rid the
carbon monoxide, but had to do it standing up because his buttocks
were slightly burned from the heat in the car.

Not quite sure just how "long" he could go standing. Longest I've seen
anyone go was about 5 miles when they snapped a saddle off at a local
TT.
Bill C

Jim Boyer
March 28th 07, 02:44 PM
"Bill C" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6616350
>
> He went for a long bicycle ride on Monday to help his body rid the
> carbon monoxide, but had to do it standing up because his buttocks
> were slightly burned from the heat in the car.
>
> Not quite sure just how "long" he could go standing. Longest I've seen
> anyone go was about 5 miles when they snapped a saddle off at a local
> TT.
> Bill C

I know of a guy in the Quad Cities Bike Club who rides a custom bike with no
seat. The seat post is welded shut. I know he does a ride called TOMRV with
it which is 106 miles the first day and I also think I heard that he does
the week-long RAGBRAI without a seat.

jb

Tom Kunich
March 28th 07, 03:26 PM
"Bill C" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6616350
>
> He went for a long bicycle ride on Monday to help his body rid the
> carbon monoxide, but had to do it standing up because his buttocks
> were slightly burned from the heat in the car.
>
> Not quite sure just how "long" he could go standing. Longest I've seen
> anyone go was about 5 miles when they snapped a saddle off at a local
> TT.

Cindy Whitehead did a complete Lemurian Classic MTB race standing and won it
one year when her seatpost broke at the start.

Howard Kveck
March 29th 07, 12:31 AM
In article . com>, "Bill
C" > wrote:

> http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6616350
>
> He went for a long bicycle ride on Monday to help his body rid the
> carbon monoxide, but had to do it standing up because his buttocks
> were slightly burned from the heat in the car.
>
> Not quite sure just how "long" he could go standing. Longest I've seen
> anyone go was about 5 miles when they snapped a saddle off at a local
> TT.

I had a seatpost break just as I reached Pescadero a few years ago. I
tied the saddle in place with a spare tube (for some small amount of
protection) then rode back up over Highway 84 to Redwood City - a total of
about 35 miles. Not so fun but it wasn't that big of a deal.

--
tanx,
Howard

Scott
March 29th 07, 01:48 AM
On Mar 28, 6:36 am, "Bill C" > wrote:
> http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6616350
>
> He went for a long bicycle ride on Monday to help his body rid the
> carbon monoxide, but had to do it standing up because his buttocks
> were slightly burned from the heat in the car.
>
> Not quite sure just how "long" he could go standing. Longest I've seen
> anyone go was about 5 miles when they snapped a saddle off at a local
> TT.
> Bill C

A few years back I was tinkering with my seat height while out on a
ride (I'd just put a new saddle on the bike and hadn't gotten the
height dialed in, yet) and snapped the binder bolt. Had to ride over
15 miles standing up on a fixed gear.

Scott

Bill C
March 29th 07, 02:12 AM
On Mar 28, 8:48 pm, "Scott" > wrote:
> On Mar 28, 6:36 am, "Bill C" > wrote:
>
> >http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6616350
>
> > He went for a long bicycle ride on Monday to help his body rid the
> > carbon monoxide, but had to do it standing up because his buttocks
> > were slightly burned from the heat in the car.
>
> > Not quite sure just how "long" he could go standing. Longest I've seen
> > anyone go was about 5 miles when they snapped a saddle off at a local
> > TT.
> > Bill C
>
> A few years back I was tinkering with my seat height while out on a
> ride (I'd just put a new saddle on the bike and hadn't gotten the
> height dialed in, yet) and snapped the binder bolt. Had to ride over
> 15 miles standing up on a fixed gear.
>
> Scott

Bet you guys are great at stair climbers too. That's something I've
been lucky enough to avoid. Just thinking about even 15 miles standing
makes my knees ache.
Bill C

Richard Cheese
March 29th 07, 04:25 AM
One day I was out on a ride and intentionally snapped off my seat mast with
a rock I found on the side of the road, and then I took an ice pick and
stuck it my eye seven times, and then washed out the wound with bleach and
gasoline that I was carrying in my "water" bottles, and came home and took a
vacation from pain.

"Bill C" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6616350
>
> He went for a long bicycle ride on Monday to help his body rid the
> carbon monoxide, but had to do it standing up because his buttocks
> were slightly burned from the heat in the car.
>
> Not quite sure just how "long" he could go standing. Longest I've seen
> anyone go was about 5 miles when they snapped a saddle off at a local
> TT.
> Bill C

Callistus Valerius
March 29th 07, 11:55 AM

> A few years back I was tinkering with my seat height while out on a
> ride (I'd just put a new saddle on the bike and hadn't gotten the
> height dialed in, yet) and snapped the binder bolt. Had to ride over
> 15 miles standing up on a fixed gear.
>
> Scott
----------
I've had those break at home, while doing seat adjustments, that's why I
never touch those on the road. If I absolutely had to do it on the road, I
would just barely tighten it.

Simon Brooke
March 29th 07, 01:49 PM
in message om>, Scott
') wrote:

> On Mar 28, 6:36 am, "Bill C" > wrote:
>> http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6616350
>>
>> He went for a long bicycle ride on Monday to help his body rid the
>> carbon monoxide, but had to do it standing up because his buttocks
>> were slightly burned from the heat in the car.
>>
>> Not quite sure just how "long" he could go standing. Longest I've seen
>> anyone go was about 5 miles when they snapped a saddle off at a local
>> TT.
>
> A few years back I was tinkering with my seat height while out on a
> ride (I'd just put a new saddle on the bike and hadn't gotten the
> height dialed in, yet) and snapped the binder bolt. Had to ride over
> 15 miles standing up on a fixed gear.

Binder bolt? Binder bolt? Eeee, tha wert reet lucky. When Ah wore a lad, we
didn't 'ave binder bolts. We 'ad to crimp wor seat posts into us frames
with us teeth...

Tell that to the young fowks these days, they wouldn't believe thee.

Soft, they are, Ah tell thee.

Copyright (c) Simon Brooke; All rights reserved. Permission is
granted to transfer this message via UUCP or NNTP and to store it
for the purpose of archiving or further transfer. Permission is
explicitly denied to use this message as part of a 'Web Forum', or
to transfer it by HTTP.

Curtis L. Russell
March 29th 07, 03:08 PM
On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:25:30 -0800, "Richard Cheese"
> wrote:

>One day I was out on a ride and intentionally snapped off my seat mast with
>a rock I found on the side of the road, and then I took an ice pick and
>stuck it my eye seven times, and then washed out the wound with bleach and
>gasoline that I was carrying in my "water" bottles, and came home and took a
>vacation from pain.

If you would have planned ahead, you would have had a balpeen hammer
and not had to use a rock. Then you could have hit yourself in the
head with the hammer. OTOH, the balpeen hammer has some weight and
while I am willing to do a century without a seat or seat post, it is
not good form to ride with excess weight.

So I guess I'm good with the above, as long as the ice pick had a
balsa wood handle.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Howard Kveck
March 29th 07, 11:19 PM
In article >, Curtis L. Russell
> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:25:30 -0800, "Richard Cheese"
> > wrote:
>
> >One day I was out on a ride and intentionally snapped off my seat mast with
> >a rock I found on the side of the road, and then I took an ice pick and
> >stuck it my eye seven times, and then washed out the wound with bleach and
> >gasoline that I was carrying in my "water" bottles, and came home and took a
> >vacation from pain.
>
> If you would have planned ahead, you would have had a balpeen hammer
> and not had to use a rock. Then you could have hit yourself in the
> head with the hammer. OTOH, the balpeen hammer has some weight and
> while I am willing to do a century without a seat or seat post, it is
> not good form to ride with excess weight.
>
> So I guess I'm good with the above, as long as the ice pick had a
> balsa wood handle.

Please - it'd have to be a carbon fiber handle to be Master Fattie approved.

--
tanx,
Howard
Never take a tenant with a monkey.
remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

mrsixtypercent
March 30th 07, 02:44 PM
On 28 Mar, 13:36, "Bill C" > wrote:
> http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6616350
>
> He went for a long bicycle ride on Monday to help his body rid the
> carbon monoxide, but had to do it standing up because his buttocks
> were slightly burned from the heat in the car.
>
> Not quite sure just how "long" he could go standing. Longest I've seen
> anyone go was about 5 miles when they snapped a saddle off at a local
> TT.
> Bill C

Some Dutch guy can go for over 3 hours, and average 43 km/h for an
hour

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2005/oct05/oct07news

Dutch rider to attempt hour record...without saddle

In the Masochistic Cycling Feats Dept., news has filtered through to
us that a 49 year-old Dutchman will attempt to break the World Hour
Record for riding without a saddle (or a seatpost). Maas van Beek, a
former tandem pilot of Jan Mulder, will attempt to better the mark of
45.848 km set by none other than Fausto Coppi on the track in Alkmaar,
The Netherlands, on Saturday, October 8. He's doing it for a good
cause: to raise money for the Polar van de Donck foundation, which
helps children in Africa who have AIDS.

Van Beek has been averaging 43 km/h during training, and says that
it's quite possible to hold a position out of the saddle for three
hours, provided the muscles are used to it. He'll be using a bike with
a massive 68 x 11 gear and 205 mm cranks, but no particular
aerodynamic equipment.

More information: www.goedkoopsteskelter.nl/recordpoging.htm

Michael Press
March 30th 07, 07:23 PM
In article
om>,
"mrsixtypercent" > wrote:

> On 28 Mar, 13:36, "Bill C" > wrote:
> > http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6616350
> >
> > He went for a long bicycle ride on Monday to help his body rid the
> > carbon monoxide, but had to do it standing up because his buttocks
> > were slightly burned from the heat in the car.
> >
> > Not quite sure just how "long" he could go standing. Longest I've seen
> > anyone go was about 5 miles when they snapped a saddle off at a local
> > TT.
> > Bill C
>
> Some Dutch guy can go for over 3 hours, and average 43 km/h for an
> hour
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2005/oct05/oct07news
>
> Dutch rider to attempt hour record...without saddle
>
> In the Masochistic Cycling Feats Dept., news has filtered through to
> us that a 49 year-old Dutchman will attempt to break the World Hour
> Record for riding without a saddle (or a seatpost). Maas van Beek, a
> former tandem pilot of Jan Mulder, will attempt to better the mark of
> 45.848 km set by none other than Fausto Coppi on the track in Alkmaar,
> The Netherlands, on Saturday, October 8. He's doing it for a good
> cause: to raise money for the Polar van de Donck foundation, which
> helps children in Africa who have AIDS.
>
> Van Beek has been averaging 43 km/h during training, and says that
> it's quite possible to hold a position out of the saddle for three
> hours, provided the muscles are used to it. He'll be using a bike with
> a massive 68 x 11 gear and 205 mm cranks, but no particular
> aerodynamic equipment.

47 km / hr at a cadence of 60.
--
Michael Press

Donald Munro
March 31st 07, 11:00 AM
Michael Press wrote:
> 47 km / hr at a cadence of 60.

Perhaps the LIVEDRUNK crowd can recommend a wine that goes down well with
red herring.

Michael Press
April 1st 07, 02:22 AM
In article
Donald Munro > wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
> > 47 km / hr at a cadence of 60.
>
> Perhaps the LIVEDRUNK crowd can recommend a wine that goes down well with
> red herring.

Vodka, aquavit, arak, ... A distilled spirit is best to
cleanse the palate after fish.
--
Michael Press

Google