PDA

View Full Version : Triple Crown Fork

Dave
March 31st 07, 05:39 AM
I'm in the process of buying a new bike. I'm looking at the Specialized
Enduro. It has a triple crown fork. I currently have a single crown? -
I have a cheap Trek. Anyway, I was watching WestCoast Freeriding and
they had this video with Ryan Leach doing amazing stuff. In once scene,
he was cruising down this single track, he pulled a wheelie with his
back wheel, whipped the tail 180 degrees and then started pedaling again
in the opposite direction (so basically an instant reverse of
direction). Can this be done with a triple crown fork? I noticed he
didn't have one...

Thx
Dave

March 31st 07, 06:20 AM
On Mar 30, 10:39 pm, Dave > wrote:
> I'm in the process of buying a new bike. I'm looking at the Specialized
> Enduro. It has a triple crown fork.

If it has as a triple clamp fork, then it is an Enduro SL not an
Enduro. They are both "All Mountain" bikes, but the SL is
significantly lighter both in weight, and construction. The SL is not
a freeride bike, and the E150 Future Shock is quite possibly the
lightest duty triple clamp fork out there. The SL's fill the gap
between the "trail bike" (Stumpjumper) and the freeride/Super D SX/SX
Trail, by sliding closer to the Stupjumper end. On the other hand the
Enduro slides more towards the SX end of the scale.

> I currently have a single crown? -
> I have a cheap Trek. Anyway, I was watching WestCoast Freeriding and
> they had this video with Ryan Leach doing amazing stuff. In once scene,
> he was cruising down this single track, he pulled a wheelie with his
> back wheel, whipped the tail 180 degrees and then started pedaling again
> in the opposite direction (so basically an instant reverse of
> direction). Can this be done with a triple crown fork? I noticed he
> didn't have one...

Ryan Leech ...probably
Craig Lee Scott ... probably
Vincent Hermance ... probably

Most riders ......

pete fagerlin
March 31st 07, 07:14 AM
Dave wrote:
> I'm in the process of buying a new bike. I'm looking at the Specialized
> Enduro. It has a triple crown fork.

You do not have a triple crown fork.

Mark Hickey
March 31st 07, 03:02 PM
Dave > wrote:

>I'm in the process of buying a new bike. I'm looking at the Specialized
>Enduro. It has a triple crown fork. I currently have a single crown? -
>I have a cheap Trek. Anyway, I was watching WestCoast Freeriding and
>they had this video with Ryan Leach doing amazing stuff. In once scene,
>he was cruising down this single track, he pulled a wheelie with his
>back wheel, whipped the tail 180 degrees and then started pedaling again
>in the opposite direction (so basically an instant reverse of
>direction). Can this be done with a triple crown fork? I noticed he
>didn't have one...

Doing that move has nothing to do with the crown of the fork and
everything to do with the skill of the rider. There are probably only
a few percent of riders out there with skills that exceed what their
bike is capable of.

IOW, don't worry about the lack of a triple crown fork holding your
riding skills hostage. ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

▀Slack⌂
March 31st 07, 08:02 PM
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:54:24 -0700, Phil, Non-Squid

....unless your mind is mush http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9yFhyFN2nA
--
Slack

Phil, Non-Squid
March 31st 07, 08:54 PM
Dave wrote:
> I'm in the process of buying a new bike. I'm looking at the
> Specialized Enduro. It has a triple crown fork. I currently have a
> single crown? - I have a cheap Trek. Anyway, I was watching
> WestCoast Freeriding and they had this video with Ryan Leach doing
> amazing stuff. In once scene, he was cruising down this single
> track, he pulled a wheelie with his back wheel, whipped the tail 180
> degrees and then started pedaling again in the opposite direction (so
> basically an instant reverse of direction). Can this be done with a
> triple crown fork? I noticed he didn't have one...

You can do anything if you put your mind to it!
--
Phil

JD
March 31st 07, 11:05 PM
On Mar 31, 11:54 am, "Phil, Non-Squid" >
wrote:
> You can do anything if you put your mind to it!

Does that mean liberace will play a keyboard again if someone broke
every bone in his meathooks?

JD

Dave
April 1st 07, 05:01 PM
Thanks for everyone's responses. This is my question. Has anyone in
this group ever done a 180 tail whip with a triple crown?

And what do you feel is the limitations of turning with a triple crown
besides bar spins?

Dave

Dave wrote:
> I'm in the process of buying a new bike. I'm looking at the Specialized
> Enduro. It has a triple crown fork. I currently have a single crown? -
> I have a cheap Trek. Anyway, I was watching WestCoast Freeriding and
> they had this video with Ryan Leach doing amazing stuff. In once scene,
> he was cruising down this single track, he pulled a wheelie with his
> back wheel, whipped the tail 180 degrees and then started pedaling again
> in the opposite direction (so basically an instant reverse of
> direction). Can this be done with a triple crown fork? I noticed he
> didn't have one...
>
> Thx
> Dave

pete fagerlin
April 1st 07, 05:59 PM
Dave wrote:
> Thanks for everyone's responses. This is my question. Has anyone in
> this group ever done a 180 tail whip with a triple crown?
>
> And what do you feel is the limitations of turning with a triple crown
> besides bar spins?

This biggest limitation of a triple crown fork is that you
can't buy one.

April 1st 07, 06:33 PM
On Apr 1, 10:59 am, pete fagerlin > wrote:
> Dave wrote:
> > Thanks for everyone's responses. This is my question. Has anyone in
> > this group ever done a 180 tail whip with a triple crown?
>
> > And what do you feel is the limitations of turning with a triple crown
> > besides bar spins?
>
> This biggest limitation of a triple crown fork is that you
> can't buy one.

Second time?

It must really **** you off.

I always preferred triple tree, to "double crown" or "triple clamp."

JD
April 1st 07, 09:48 PM
On Apr 1, 10:33 am, wrote:
> On Apr 1, 10:59 am, pete fagerlin > wrote:
>
> > Dave wrote:
> > > Thanks for everyone's responses. This is my question. Has anyone in
> > > this group ever done a 180 tail whip with a triple crown?
>
> > > And what do you feel is the limitations of turning with a triple crown
> > > besides bar spins?
>
> > This biggest limitation of a triple crown fork is that you
> > can't buy one.
>
> Second time?
>
> It must really **** you off.

> I always preferred triple tree, to "double crown" or "triple clamp."

How about 'Dew Sticks?

JD

pete fagerlin
April 2nd 07, 12:48 AM
wrote:
> On Apr 1, 10:59 am, pete fagerlin > wrote:
>> Dave wrote:
>>> Thanks for everyone's responses. This is my question. Has anyone in
>>> this group ever done a 180 tail whip with a triple crown?
>>> And what do you feel is the limitations of turning with a triple crown
>>> besides bar spins?
>> This biggest limitation of a triple crown fork is that you
>> can't buy one.
>
> Second time?
>
> It must really **** you off.

You're confusing being amused with being ****ed off.

HTH.

Dave
April 2nd 07, 01:29 AM
Ok, now I get it... so what are the limitations of a triple clamp fork
for riding trials?

Dave

Dave wrote:
> Thanks for everyone's responses. This is my question. Has anyone in
> this group ever done a 180 tail whip with a triple crown?
>
> And what do you feel is the limitations of turning with a triple crown
> besides bar spins?
>
> Dave
>
> Dave wrote:
>> I'm in the process of buying a new bike. I'm looking at the
>> Specialized Enduro. It has a triple crown fork. I currently have a
>> single crown? - I have a cheap Trek. Anyway, I was watching
>> WestCoast Freeriding and they had this video with Ryan Leach doing
>> amazing stuff. In once scene, he was cruising down this single track,
>> he pulled a wheelie with his back wheel, whipped the tail 180 degrees
>> and then started pedaling again in the opposite direction (so
>> basically an instant reverse of direction). Can this be done with a
>> triple crown fork? I noticed he didn't have one...
>>
>> Thx
>> Dave

pete fagerlin
April 2nd 07, 03:11 AM
Dave wrote:
> Ok, now I get it... so what are the limitations of a triple clamp fork
> for riding trials?

The biggest limitation of a triple crown fork is that you
can't buy one.

Dave
April 2nd 07, 05:52 AM
But can't I buy a triple "clamp" fork?

pete fagerlin wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>> Ok, now I get it... so what are the limitations of a triple clamp fork
>> for riding trials?
>
> The biggest limitation of a triple crown fork is that you can't buy one.

Dave
April 2nd 07, 06:01 AM
Did I get it right?

Enduro SL Expert FSR
Specialized Future Shock e150, dual crown w/ intergrated stem, 150mm,
external rebound, compression adjust, 25mm thru axle, alloy steerer

So, what are the limitations of a dual crown with intergrated stem for
riding trials?

Thanks,
Dave

pete fagerlin wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>> Ok, now I get it... so what are the limitations of a triple clamp fork
>> for riding trials?
>
> The biggest limitation of a triple crown fork is that you can't buy one.

Scott Gordo
April 2nd 07, 02:44 PM
On Mar 31, 12:39 am, Dave > wrote:
> I'm in the process of buying a new bike. I'm looking at the Specialized
> Enduro. It has a triple crown fork. I currently have a single crown? -
> I have a cheap Trek. Anyway, I was watching WestCoast Freeriding and
> they had this video with Ryan Leach doing amazing stuff. In once scene,
> he was cruising down this single track, he pulled a wheelie with his
> back wheel, whipped the tail 180 degrees and then started pedaling again
> in the opposite direction (so basically an instant reverse of
> direction). Can this be done with a triple crown fork? I noticed he
> didn't have one...
>
> Thx
> Dave

Sounds like a more sophisticated version of the endo-tailwhips we did
on our BMX bikes 25 years ago. I don't recall having a triple crown.

/s

spademan o---[) *
April 3rd 07, 10:51 AM
On Mar 31, 5:39 am, Dave > wrote:
> I'm in the process of buying a new bike. I'm looking at the Specialized
> Enduro. It has a triple crown fork. I currently have a single crown? -
> I have a cheap Trek. Anyway, I was watching WestCoast Freeriding and
> they had this video with Ryan Leach doing amazing stuff. In once scene,
> he was cruising down this single track, he pulled a wheelie with his
> back wheel, whipped the tail 180 degrees and then started pedaling again
> in the opposite direction (so basically an instant reverse of
> direction). Can this be done with a triple crown fork? I noticed he
> didn't have one...
>
> Thx
> Dave

If his bars turn with the rest of the bike then its an endo turn and
is entirely feasible with a double clamp fork.
Any full suspension bike will be **** for trials though. HTH!

Michael Dart
April 3rd 07, 11:59 AM

Dave wrote:
> But can't I buy a triple "clamp" fork?

Sigh.

A single crown fork IS a "triple clamp." One clamp for the steer tube and
two for the legs. Even though now most clamps are press fit.

What you want to know is can you do a 180 tail whip with a "dual crown" or
"double triple clamp fork."

A dual crown fork severely limits the amout a fork can turn. If you want to
get into dirt jumping I suggest a strong single crown fork like a Fox 36.

Mike

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home